Official Recruiting Credit/Responsibility

Besides the brothers. Joe hasn’t got anyone. Horton came with a big NIL deal cause we was desperate and portal guys didn’t come for him besides that he struck out on everyone else

Advertisement
Lol. If Joe was not here, we would not have landed Francis or his brother. He recruits outside of his position due to his ethnicity. The fact that a Samoan kid is even considering UM with how poorly we have performed is a miracle. A Samoan miracle at that. Samoans dont have "personable" appearances lmao. We are warriors not princess like.....yeah. Go back and look at Francis committ video. It'll tell you everything you need to know about Samoans. We stick together. And we flock to where our people are. Joe is very uplfiting christian man. Idk where this nonsense of him not being personable comes from. There is a reason the Samoan people are called the "happy people." Relationships reign supreme in my culture. We smell bs and call it out.
He’s personable but he doesn’t connect well with these young kids especially from the south and east coast

He’s personable but he doesn’t connect well with these young kids especially from the south and east coast
How do you know? Have you sat in on a visit? Joe played 12 yrs in the nfl. Those stops include Arizona, Tenn, Bmore, San *****, and Wash Redskins. You think he does not understand cultural dynamics being a minority. Everybody saying this and that, but noone ever has evidence to prove their logic... show me the "proof" 🤣🤣🤣.

If we have 2 DL coaches like we had last year I don’t see what is wrong with saying Salave’a is primarily responsible for getting the Poly pipeline, while the other DLine coach is primarily responsible for the actual Rest of the DLine recruiting.

The is the exact same thing as with Rumph /Banda. If you have two guys at one general position group, one of them has to be the guy responsible for recruiting those positions. That’s why when we were missing out on CBS I was saying Banda is absolutely to blame. If Rumohs primary responsibility was teaching, and Banda was the recruiter, it’s just logical that Banda should be responsible for CB recruiting as well. So same with DL. If Salave’a prime responsibility it’s poly kids, that’s what he should mostly be graded on. And we literally landed like the best recruit in over a decade - who is a poly kid. So the other DLine coach needs to be held more reponsible for the DT recruiting as well - not JUST Edge recruiting imo. That’s not to say Salave’a doesn’t need to step up there too…

Ultimately Mario is about to focus more intensely on DT recruiting, so that is about to majorly pick up regardless what happens with either DLine coach.

With the fluidity in recruiting I think it's hard to narrow down who is and isn't pulling their weight recruiting based on commits.

For example I would consider a 2 year haul of Citizen, Fletcher and Chris Johnson to be real solid recruiting all things considered, but supposedly Kevin Smith wasn't grinding on the trail.

I think the best judge of who is or isn't cutting it is Mario, and I think if someone isn't pulling their weight they'll be conveniently on move to another team soon.

Advertisement
TIFWIW . . . someone whom I trust told me before Feldman's article or tweet talking about under-performing recruiters or coaches on the staff that Joe wasn't pulling his weight. When the Feldman thing hit, it certainly seemed to validate what was told to me. And I know there has been some discussion here about folks saying that Big Joe isn't particularly a personable guy.

Personally, I don't care about him too much one way or the other. I tend to care less about position coaches and more about coordinators. He stays or goes I don't care. It's not like he's a huge loss IMO. I personally think his impact here is likely far less than if he was out on the west coast.
Joe might be the most personable guy on the staff.

And in 17 years of coaching high school ball, no college coach has communicated with me more than Joe has.
Dude called my phone within 6 hours of me taking the Western DC job to congratulate me.

I can't imagine him not putting the work in, or being unlikable, that's for sure.

How do you know? Have you sat in on a visit? Joe played 12 yrs in the nfl. Those stops include Arizona, Tenn, Bmore, San *****, and Wash Redskins. You think he does not understand cultural dynamics being a minority. Everybody saying this and that, but noone ever has evidence to prove their logic... show me the "proof" 🤣🤣🤣.

The proof is his whiffs at the DT position

For example I would consider a 2 year haul of Citizen, Fletcher and Chris Johnson to be real solid recruiting all things considered, but supposedly Kevin Smith wasn't grinding on the trail.

Ya I for the life of me couldn't understand what Kevin Smith did wrong. Although, I don't believe Citizen was him?

Ya I for the life of me couldn't understand what Kevin Smith did wrong. Although, I don't believe Citizen was him?
Smith was listed as his primary recruiter on 247, but I couldn't remember back to last class the timing of Smith's hire and Citizen committing. Maybe he had nothing to do with it.

Advertisement
These people are just making **** up to fit a narrative they want. They shouldn't comment about people they don't know and forget about so and so said he is like.....

This narrative is a weapon that is used to argue in favor of a Coach that someone likes & against a Coach that someone doesn’t like...

With that being said, from here on out I’m giving all recruiting credit regardless of position to Terry Jefferson & Coach Sabbath.

Good day

tenor.gif

What? No credit for Cooney?

Spoke to numerous kids and parents that have spoke to him and been recruited by him. This isn’t new news

Advertisement

And in 17 years of coaching high school ball, no college coach has communicated with me more than Joe has.
Dude called my phone within 6 hours of me taking the Western DC job to congratulate me.

I can't imagine him not putting the work in, or being unlikable, that's for sure.
Appreciate the input. You always call it like you see it.

i've been thinking about this topic for a while and @Brooklyndee mentioned it in passing a few days ago when he said: "What people don't seem to understand with elite staffs when it comes to recruiting it's a shared effort."

since we've been cleaning house the last few months, porsters have mentioned that J coach or M coach didn't recruit as well and therefore should be dismissed OR that D coach or O coach shouldn't be fired/demoted/moved off the field because he is a tremendous recruiter. For example, some porsters argue that Coach Salave'a hasn't recruited anyone for his position and that Coach Wright did a tremendous job with DE this last cycle.

Anyway, the point of this porst is that, from my deeply and unforgiveable ignorant, uninformed and inexperienced point of view, i don't think that (a) coaches are compartmentalized into recruiting only their position and (b) perhaps more importantly, one coach is probably not always the sole person responsible for recruiting a recruit, especially when you have a monster recruiter like Mario (even though a certain coach might be the primary liaison with a certain recruit) . i argue that it's a shared responsibility, it has to be. if this is true, then the conclusion is that we cannot always really know who is doing a great job in recruiting and who lost x recruit or gets credit for z recruit.

/carry o
Maybe its just me but I think Mario has the recruiting part down. I worry about on field coaching not recruiting just saying.

Advertisement
Talk to high school coaches who deal with recruiters. They know who has the juice and who's just spinning their wheels. Recruiting is very much a sales pitch. Some guys can sell a ketchup popsicle to a dude in a white suit and some guys just don't have it. There are guys on the staff that get mentioned a lot by coaches and players' families when the topic of recruiting comes up. Those guys left an impression. Then there's guys who never get mentioned. Those guys just don't have it. Whether it's personality, charisma, or confidence. Don't pay attention to 247 recruiter rankings, pay attention to the comments the recruits, their families and their coaches make. They'll tell you who's making an impact.

The other point is position coaches aren't necessarily the only ones responsible for recruiting their positions. You'll have offensive position coaches recruiting defensive players or DB coaches recruiting running backs. It's not always just "Coach X coaches tight ends and he's solely responsible for signing them".

Lastly, your head coach and your coordinators can definitely make or break a recruit's decision. A guy like Manny Diaz, who isn't the most personable guy, can turn off a kid who might have been really interested in playing for a certain position coach. Or a guy like Josh Gattis, who had a reputation for being a prick, also scared recruits off with his undesirable style of offense. We saw the results with QB and WR recruiting in an otherwise really great 2023 class.

Lol. If Joe was not here, we would not have landed Francis or his brother. He recruits outside of his position due to his ethnicity. The fact that a Samoan kid is even considering UM with how poorly we have performed is a miracle. A Samoan miracle at that. Samoans dont have "personable" appearances lmao. We are warriors not princess like.....yeah. Go back and look at Francis committ video. It'll tell you everything you need to know about Samoans. We stick together. And we flock to where our people are. Joe is very uplfiting christian man. Idk where this nonsense of him not being personable comes from. There is a reason the Samoan people are called the "happy people." Relationships reign supreme in my culture. We smell bs and call it out.
LOL. Bud, we are not going to have discussions of stereotypes of Samoans and whether Joe does or doesn't fit in that category. Not going there. I am just passing along what I've heard or read here. IIRC, someone here went to one of the camps and had that to say about him. You can agree or disagree.

But anyways, the thing is we have 2 Polynesian kids out of 75 scholarship kids on the roster. And I can't recall the last time we had a Polynesian on the roster. It's far from our base or even our target, considering we likely aren't going to pull a lot of those kids to the east coast. I am sure at Oregon his background was quite an asset. Here? Not sure.

When someone has first hand knowledge/experience about a certain situation and shares it, everyone should take notice and stop the incessant speculation and conjecture.

Good for you. Your response is spot on.

Advertisement
Back