RECRUITING CLASS RANKING: PORTAL+ SURGE 19-

If you are going to add transfers in, shouldn’t you also subtract transfers out? I don’t expect that to alter things all that much, but it would seemingly create a more accurate picture. Where are we (and those around us) minus Ezzard and what’s his name the giant midget?

No... Ezzard and who ever transferred out were other class guys.. We are focusing on THIS class coming in only the amount of talent we recieved compared to the amount of talent everyone else recieved with recruits +transfers.

Advertisement
You guys are reaching. don’t get me wrong manny saved us by bringing in some key transfers but transfers, particularly grand transfers with one year to play can’t be compared to guys that have 3-4 years to contribute. Not to mention we have guys in this class that would be considered plan b and c guys on the past. I wonder if some of them will ever be contributors here.
Unfortunately, guys puppet the “you can’t rely on transfers” line without any basis for it other than hearing someone else say it. You actually can rely on transfers, and we HAD TO rely on them this year. UM needs to win quickly. We don’t have that luxury of a slow rebuild. Slow rebuild equals fan discontent equals toxicity sets in equals recruiting dies and coaches fired again.

We need to have a very good 2019 in order to build momentum for the program, and we’re far more likely to do that by plugging in some grown men like Hill and the African kid than we would by trying to rely on some true freshmens that we were unable to sign because of our horrible 2018 and Rickety giving up some time toward the end of 2017.

Question for all the guys crying about counting the portal guys as part of this recruiting class: Are JUCO transfers typically counted? How is a JUCO transfer different than a portal transfer aside from the recruiting nerd sites telling you they’re different?

And if some nerd from Rivals suddenly decides next year that Rivals will include portal transfers would that make it more palatable to you?

The portal guys are new additions to the UM team just like the freshmens we signed in 2019. They were recruited to come here just like the freshmens too.

Unfortunately, guys puppet the “you can’t rely on transfers” line without any basis for it other than hearing someone else say it. You actually can rely on transfers, and we HAD TO rely on them this year. UM needs to win quickly. We don’t have that luxury of a slow rebuild. Slow rebuild equals fan discontent equals toxicity sets in equals recruiting dies and coaches fired again.

We need to have a very good 2019 in order to build momentum for the program, and we’re far more likely to do that by plugging in some grown men like Hill and the African kid than we would by trying to rely on some true freshmens that we were unable to sign because of our horrible 2018 and Rickety giving up some time toward the end of 2017.
Manny himself stated he had holes to fill due to only have 7 seniors (most of which are not starters), low HS recruit numbers, and needing some "age." The portal was a blessing in disguise and Manny had the foresight to take full advantage of it. Considering all the turmoil, he and the staff did an amazing job getting the transfers they did. Time will tell if all will bear fruit but I'm a helluva lot more optimistic than I was 12/28/18.

Advertisement
Agreed. Many of us have been banging the transfer drum for just that reason for years (great that Manny gets it in a way that Richt and other coaches just didn’t/don’t).

Fans and posters will turn on the “#TNM” faster than they turned on the Turnover Chain after the Pitt game. He’s gotta win now and the portal and transfers are the absolute best way to go about it.
Sometimes our fans get confused. They act like UM is a traditional program like Nebraska. Like we can win 5 games in 2019 and everything will be peaches and cream.

I’m glad Manny The Big Portal Pounder understands the climate around this program better than the fans. The same guys claiming we should stick to HS seniors would be the same guys saying “lazy hire” and “#SameOldMiami” if Diaz wins 6 games in 2019 because of all the holes he didn’t patch with veteran transfers. The avalanche of negativity and toxicity would bubble up quickly.

Question for all the guys crying about counting the portal guys as part of this recruiting class: Are JUCO transfers typically counted? How is a JUCO transfer different than a portal transfer aside from the recruiting nerd sites telling you they’re different?

And if some nerd from Rivals suddenly decides next year that Rivals will include portal transfers would that make it more palatable to you?

The portal guys are new additions to the UM team just like the freshmens we signed in 2019. They were recruited to come here just like the freshmens too.

It's kind of funny that some are arguing against an opinion that at it's core is as simple as "the team got better". Do the transfers help this program? Of course. Gerald Willis was our best player on D last year and in year's past guys like Colbert/Delaney had big impacts. Isn't the whole point of the prospect grades or star rankings? to identify the prospects who will most help the programs they sign with?

Like anything there are certainly advantages/disadvantages to high schoolers vs transfers and going forward UM needs to do better with high school recruits, but arguing against the success in the transfer market being deserving of some kind of positive mark just because some guy at 247 hasn't figured out how to factor it into the rankings yet has the entire concept of "rankings" backwards. Martell, Kennedy, Hill, Bolden, the DT from UCLA and Osborn may make up 25% of our starting lineup against UF, and at least a few of those guys (plus Phillips/Martin) have multiple years of eligibility to contribute. There's probably a better chance that small group of transfers ends up with more production at UM than the HS class. If they found a starting QB who can lead them to an ACC Championship or a playoff win over the next couple years that alone will be worth more than any other 3-4 blue chip recruits we let get away this year. MAR, Stevenson, Bogle, all of them.

Exactly! Well said Chise. Love plugging some grown *** men in to get this train rolling. Could care less how it’s done.
Now we get some good offensive coaching and QB play and we will be in the ACC championship every year and hopefully our fair share of playoff opportunities.
Any semblance of offense even with our less than desired recruiting and we would have been in ACC championship game for last 3 years.

Sometimes our fans get confused. They act like UM is a traditional program like Nebraska. Like we can win 5 games in 2019 and everything will be peaches and cream.

I’m glad Manny The Big Portal Pounder understands the climate around this program better than the fans. The same guys claiming we should stick to HS seniors would be the same guys saying “lazy hire” and “#SameOldMiami” if Diaz wins 6 games in 2019 because of all the holes he didn’t patch with veteran transfers. The avalanche of negativity and toxicity would bubble up quickly.

It’s called not only understanding the program, but understanding the environment the program operates in. Unfortunately most of the fly-by-night porsters on this site, don’t get it.

They want the instantaneous gratification of a highly ranked class by traditional methods. But if we’re not 12-0 and in the playoff hunt by November of this year, they’ll be the ones creating all the toxicity.

Advertisement
It’s called not only understanding the program, but understanding the environment the program operates in. Unfortunately most of the fly-by-night porsters on this site, don’t get it.

They want the instantaneous gratification of a highly ranked class by traditional methods. But if we’re not 12-0 and in the playoff hunt by November of this year, they’ll be the ones creating all the toxicity.
Exactly. They want that recruiting ranking so they can feel like they won recruiting, but they cant have it because the Rivals nerds haven’t figured out how to include the transfers yet. They’ll be the first in line to tell us how they called it on Manny being a bum if he wins 6 games in 2019 with a team full of freshmens.

This. Gerald Willis would like to have a word with the gurus who say "you can't rely on transfers". I see where he's now projected as a mid first round pick. As stated above, Manny doesn't have the luxury of rebuilding this program over he course of a few recruiting classes. Momentum spirals up and down very quickly in places like Miami (and no shots being taken here, my native NYC is the same way) where there are pro team in town to root for and other entertainment to spend your time and money on. Alabama has a much more loyal fan base because WTF else are they gonna do? UM needs to capture the imagination of South Florida again to keep the talent home. IMHO we have to win the Coastal to get over the hill to start dominating So. Fla. again. The only way to do that is plug and play experienced players from the portal now,

Last edited:
Exactly. They want that recruiting ranking so they can feel like they won recruiting, but they cant have it because the Rivals nerds haven’t figured out how to include the transfers yet. They’ll be the first in line to tell us how they called it on Manny being a bum if he wins 6 games in 2019 with a team full of freshmens.

If we’re honest about it, how many freshmens actually have an impact the first year or even their second year? Even with highly rated ones, I would put the percentage at no greater than 10 or 20%.

Yes there are some outstanding examples that are the exception and not the rule. But for the most part most of them don’t contribute significantly until well into their second year I’d be willing to bet.

Using this portal was literally the only avenue open to us to try to have an immediate impact on 2019 and get some positive momentum going forward in terms of wins and recruiting

This 10000000x

Advertisement
This is in fact thanks to @brcane1 'a research that showed that we had a much better aggregate class than everyone was giving us credit for. One of the big issues though was that Miami's ranking was inflated due to the fact that we were not adding up the Portal additions for other teams. So I actually took the time today to do the Top 29 teams in there 247 Composite Rankings and this is what I got when you add all the players that came through the Portal.

Georgia
Eli Wolf (.7778 )-àConnor McIntee (.7781)

Oklahoma
Jalen Hurts ((97)-àRyasn Hilinski (.9695)

Florida

Jonathan Greenard (91)-àAnthony Solomon (.9137)

Auburn

Jay jay Wilson (89)à Jalen Wydermyer

Tennessee

Aubrey Solomon –(95)->Mazi Smith (.9536)
Deangelo Gibbs. –(87)-> Brandon Hill (.8710)

Florida State

Ryan Roberts (85)-> Skylar Loving Black (.8506)

Nebraska

Darrion Daniels (92)-> CJ Clark

Ohio State:
Justin Fields ( 1.00)--- Bo Nix (.9857)

NC State

Tabari Hines (86)--àNathaniel Beal (.8601)
Levi Jones (90)-àShammond Cooper (.90270)

1. Alabama- 317.50
2.Georgia – 309.20
3.Texas---- 287.02 (
4.OU- 285.61 (P)
5.Texas A&M--- 285.46
6.LSU--- 284.06
7.Florida--- 278.37
8.Tennesee---278.27
9.Oregon 277.98
10.Michigan-277.15
11.Clemson-275.55
12.Auburn—273.67
13.Ohio State-272.34
14.Penn State- 270.67
15.Notre Dame-258.56
16.Florida State- 254.65
17.Washington- 253.15
18.South Carolina 248.99
19. Miami-248.24
20.Nebraska- 247.70
21.USC--- 243.51
22.Stanford-242.58
23.Ole Miss-238.11
24.Arkansas-237.17
25.Mississippi State-235.81
26.Perdue-224.72
27.Virginia Tech- 224.01
28.NC State- 221.66
29.Wisconsin-219.51

So what happens if we add Phillips ( Like everyone believes we will do)? Miami ends up with 255 Points and is 16th in the nation right in front of FSU.
If we Add Phillips and Braun? Miami would have 261.63 and that would give us a top 15 class in the nation...

So it looks like AT WORST OUR CLASS ENDS UP 16TH once Phillips is Official !

@brcane1 @Roman Marciante
I thank you very much for doing this and also for taking the time from your busy basement gaming schedule.

Excellent info in all seriousness

If you are going to add transfers in, shouldn’t you also subtract transfers out? I don’t expect that to alter things all that much, but it would seemingly create a more accurate picture. Where are we (and those around us) minus Ezzard and what’s his name the giant midget?
I would say if you subtract those who transfer out, you need to subtract those who transferred out from all schools. And add those who transferred in to all schools.

I nice thing about the transfers is that there are fewer busts. You know what they can do because you've seen it in D1. Juco not so much, and frosh even less.

Still want me classes full of 5*s though.

Advertisement
There seems to be an underlying mindset around here (probably even more strident among the recruiting "experts"/local high school kid slurpers) that pounding The Portal should be a one time deal just to "save" a class and that we're just going to revert back to relying on traditional recruiting methods once/if we get back to winning.

As the incoherent former Nole on eSECpn would say- not so fast my friends.

Manny somehow took the lead in CFB and absolutely destroyed The Portal while everyone else slept. It's proudly associated with us now. We're not going to stupidly stop embracing it- even if we start bringing in top 10 classes.

I personally want to bring in 3 classes each year. The early signees. The Portal kids. The NSD signees. You obviously raise your standards on the transfers (theoretically we'd be in a position where the UCLA DT wouldn't be needed, etc.) but you keep embracing the moniker Portal U or Transfer U too. You let every disgruntled star at other programs have Miami be the first place he thinks of when even remotely contemplating entering The Portal.

I give zero ***** about this recruiting class ranking. In my opinion, Manny is adding additional 4 and 5 star players to this team, along with much needed quality depth at certain key positions for the upcoming season. We are a much improved team in just a month of work. If this is a sign of things to come then we are going to be having a major ****fest very soon. I’ll be present for the gang bang on August 31st.

If we’re honest about it, how many freshmens actually have an impact the first year or even their second year? Even with highly rated ones, I would put the percentage at no greater than 10 or 20%.

Yes there are some outstanding examples that are the exception and not the rule. But for the most part most of them don’t contribute significantly until well into their second year I’d be willing to bet.

Using this portal was literally the only avenue open to us to try to have an immediate impact on 2019 and get some positive momentum going forward in terms of wins and recruiting
Bill Snyder was a fluke play away from playing for a NC with a team loaded with transfers. At a shytbag program like KSU.

There seems to be an underlying mindset around here (probably even more strident among the recruiting "experts"/local high school kid slurpers) that pounding The Portal should be a one time deal just to "save" a class and that we're just going to revert back to relying on traditional recruiting methods once/if we get back to winning.

As the incoherent former Nole on eSECpn would say- not so fast my friends.

Manny somehow took the lead in CFB and absolutely destroyed The Portal while everyone else slept. It's proudly associated with us now. We're not going to stupidly stop embracing it- even if we start bringing in top 10 classes.

I personally want to bring in 3 classes each year. The early signees. The Portal kids. The NSD signees. You obviously raise your standards on the transfers (theoretically we'd be in a position where the UCLA DT wouldn't be needed, etc.) but you keep embracing the moniker Portal U or Transfer U too. You let every disgruntled star at other programs have Miami be the first place he thinks of when even remotely contemplating entering The Portal.
The only thing that should stop The Big Portal Pounder from savaging the portal every year is Sabag getting it shut down because it’s evening the field.

Advertisement
Back