Reasonable suggestions for defensive staff shakeup.

Advertisement
Advertisement

Yes.

FB1BC5C6-7E13-4332-80AE-8C85E062FD36.gif

Advertisement
Not one defensive position coach is doing their job. Stroud might be the best but we should get KP for that.

Dude was a lauded assistant HC and LB coach for the Packers. Interviewed for NFL HC jobs.
I'm pretty he knows how to call a defense. A sea cucumber could call the Miami 4-3 defense and it would still be a top 25 defense. What Diaz needs is someone who doesn't require his help and commands the respect of the locker room. Moss does that. FWIW, he was also supposedly Cristobal's choice for Miami DC had Blake James not ruined the negotiations.
A sea cucumber you say......

KP has a new job at FAU. The DL coach I’d go after is Tosh Lupoi, the recently fired DL coach of the Browns.

Why Lupoi?

* 2018 DC at Bama
* 2016-17 Defensive assistant for the Tide
* prior? DL coach for Washington and Cal
* famous as a recruiter, with special inroads in Cali and the Polynesian community.

Id get him.

Patke is a good coach.

The hate he receives on here is very misguided.

Now you've gone and done it! You start fiddling around with their never-ending hate and you'll be attacked like Iranian General Qassem Soleimani with the only body part left to identify you being a severed finger with a gaudy ring on it.

Advertisement
No he wasnt

I agree with you...Finley had good games but also some bad ones. Was probably the only player worth a **** against FIU. Was awful against GT

I actually thought he was better last year, but all in all was a pretty good Cane.

If I had to rate our defensive players this year, I'd go

1. Rousseau (runaway)
---------- One of best in conference^
2. SQ
3. Pickney (injured on and off)
4. Garvin
------ Pretty good, some of best in conference outside of Clemson ^

5. Ford
6. Hill (can't stand this kid, but he played well at times, jumped offsides in some key situations...Celebrates over nothing often)
7. Finley
8. Hall
9. Blades
10. Patchan
11. Silvera (Flashed, and could end up top 5 next year)
-------- Slightly above average players^ on a defense that was probably 2nd best in the conference (there weren't many good offenses in the conference, and we avoided probably 3 of the top 6 in Clemson, Wake, and BC...At least Wake was there before the WR injuries)

12. Bethel
13. Miller (Ditto silvera)
14. Frierson
----- Role players, "average", but the underclassmen inspire some hope they can move up.

I thought Carter was pretty average, Knowles average ACC defenders (neither "hurt us", and knowles better than previous years)...I thought Ivey was below average and should be about a 5th corner here.

Bolden woulda been top 5 without injury...Excited about him next year.

Last edited:
Just get rid of Patke at least ffs. Baker can't coach all LB spots? Fire his *** then.

Get a dedicated ST guy that's a beast on the trail.

Advertisement
DC- Winston Moss
LB- Kevin Patrick
CB- Corey Raymond
S- Ed Reed (assuming he was serious about becoming a position coach. Others have enough experience to take a chance with Reed, and still an upgrade from Banda)
Love Winston Moss, but not as a DC.

No search that has Raymond coming here can be considered reasonable.

Diaz has a better chance of retiring this season that Raymond does of ever
coaching at Miami

No search that has Raymond coming here can be considered reasonable.

Diaz has a better chance of retiring this season that Raymond does of ever
coaching at Miami

There was rumors that he was offered a job here by Richt to coach the Secondary, and he said he'd come as a DC but not a lateral move. He's a 3-4 coach by experience but if he and Diaz can come up with something, it could be a solid opportunity on both ends.

Wade Phillips as DC.

Patke as Co-DC/LB coach.

Patrick as DL coach.

Raymond as Secondary Coach.

Hahaha. As soon as I saw the chryon about Ol' **** Wade yesterday ending with "but still wants to coach" I KNEW he'd soon make a cameo around here. One can only dream about that beautiful man roaming our sidelines.

Jokes aside, that actually is a type of grey beard hire that a legit head coach or even a flailing one but one witn ample financial resources and a school that desperately wants to win makes. Not that we have any indication that Phillips is open to a college job.

Advertisement
Back