Reasonable suggestions for defensive staff shakeup.

Advertisement
Advertisement
DC- Winston Moss
LB- Kevin Patrick
CB- Corey Raymond
S- Ed Reed (assuming he was serious about becoming a position coach. Others have enough experience to take a chance with Reed, and still an upgrade from Banda)

He is not firing any of his buddies and Rumph, who isn't one of his pals, also somehow survived so this question is pointless.

Is Rocky Long better than our Baker, Banda, Patke, and Rumph combined? Yes! But he is not coming here nor is anyone else.

Advertisement
Me personally, i hire Corey Raymond as DC, and let Diaz help him out. Need to start getting some players in here, and hes the only 1 with the reputation on getting players drafted that we wouldnt have to depend on bags. Bring Ed back as the DB coach. Pony up the $ and bring in Tosh Lupoi as d line coach. Would start landing the players necessary to compete with this staff

DC- Winston Moss
LB- Kevin Patrick
CB- Corey Raymond
S- Ed Reed (assuming he was serious about becoming a position coach. Others have enough experience to take a chance with Reed, and still an upgrade from Banda)

What defense has Winston Moss coordinated in his career and how did it fare?
Hard Pass.

Wade Phillips as DC.

Patke as Co-DC/LB coach.

Patrick as DL coach.

Raymond as Secondary Coach.

Advertisement
What defense has Winston Moss coordinated in his career and how did it fare?
Hard Pass.

Dude was a lauded assistant HC and LB coach for the Packers. Interviewed for NFL HC jobs.
I'm pretty he knows how to call a defense. A sea cucumber could call the Miami 4-3 defense and it would still be a top 25 defense. What Diaz needs is someone who doesn't require his help and commands the respect of the locker room. Moss does that. FWIW, he was also supposedly Cristobal's choice for Miami DC had Blake James not ruined the negotiations.

Last edited:
Well if you can tell me what he has done other than his linebackers regressing in every single season along with terrible recruiting results I might actually believe you...

He doesn’t coach LB, he coaches strikers. Strikers are consistently our best defenders.

Special teams improved big time under his watch.

They haven’t given him anyone to recruit, so how can you judge his recruiting?

Austin said he was very respected on the defensive side. He’s not Banda, he can actually coach.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Well if you can tell me what he has done other than his linebackers regressing in every single season along with terrible recruiting results I might actually believe you...

I forgot to say his special teams gave up a fake punt for a TD against a 1-5 GT team. so again perhaps his positives outweigh the negatives I just haven‘t many positives from him.

Dude was an assistant HC and LB coach for the Packers. Interviewed for NFL HC jobs.
I'm pretty he knows how to call a defense.

So where is the body of work?
Why has he never coordinated anything?
Not even co-DC or partial coordinator duties like Schiano when he was Passing Game (defense) coordinator when Butch pulled him from the Bears.
Similarly, what has Kevin Patrick accomplished to be highly regarded on this board?

He doesn’t coach LB, he coaches strikers. Strikers are consistently our best defenders.

Special teams improved big time under his watch.

They haven’t given him anyone to recruit, so how can you judge his recruiting?

Ausrin said he was very respected on the defensive side. He’s not Banda, he can actually coach.
Striker isn’t our best defender. Finley regressed

So where is the body of work?
Why has he never coordinated anything?
Not even co-DC or partial coordinator duties like Schiano when he was Passing Game (defense) coordinator when Butch pulled him from the Bears.
Similarly, what has Kevin Patrick accomplished to be highly regarded on this board?

My guess is that he was aiming higher than DC. Was looking to become a HC after being a LB coach. Similar to Brian Flores who jumped from LB coach to HC without ever having been a DC. When it didnt pan out in the NFL (several HC interviews with no success but he had his 20 year NFL coaching pension and is set for life), he became GM/HC in XFL.

Advertisement
Back