Really Really OT...Kind of: Future of Miami

you seem upset, sweetie

You’re the one that’s upset. You came in with a general and unsubstantiated post angrily vomiting up political talking points.

But I would be upset too if I had to tell people I was an “environmental scientist”.

Real scientists are laughing hard....

Advertisement
Oooh...major league virtue signaling.

Only way to answer this question is with a picture of your car and you flipping the bird. If not, you don’t own this car. But if you do, it’ll be a classic post.
Um... a Lexus hybrid is not a bragadocious, balling car. Like, at all. I'm pretty sure at least half the ppl on this board have a more expensive vehicle.

(Was kidding about the Tesla, tho).

What a whiny post. The US IS a leader. It's one of the leaders, if not the leader, in reducing co2 emissions and other pollutants in the world. https://www.forbes.com/sites/rrapie...es-in-reducing-carbon-emissions/#5755ec073535

America is doing it's part in combating pollution. The talking point is not that we don't want to take drastic action or do nothing simply because other countries pollute also (even while places like China make no effort to reduce), the talking is point is why should we take such drastic action as to cripple our economy and industries just to virtue signal and martyr ourselves when other countries won't do their part. Not to mention as everyone has been saying, there is no definitive answer on what will actually have an effect or not.
Where is the evidence that taking drastic action will cripple the
Economy? I'll wait.

The US definitely are not leaders in reducing emissions. Absolute BS.

The article You quoted??? Its from 2017!

Oh hey, here look. Here's am from THIS year from the SAME source.

Its titled: U.S. Carbon Emissions Are Up 3.4%. "So What?" Is The Wrong Reaction

Call it whiny. Call it whatever. The time is now for action. We cant afford to be wrong.

Advertisement
Um... a Lexus hybrid is not a bragadocious, balling car. Like, at all. I'm pretty sure at least half the ppl on this board have a more expensive vehicle.

(Was kidding about the Tesla, tho).

I didn’t mean as in braggadocio.

Most Lexus hybrids get about 30-40 mpg...I’m not sure how much of a difference that makes

Also, a ton of electricity is still based on fossil fuels

Okay, this actually made me chuckle.
Chuckle away. It's all good, my friend. But this is a critical issue. You have realtors and insurers recommending folks stay away from the South Florida market precisely bc of climate change. Why kick the can to future generations
?

Advertisement
You’re the one that’s upset. You came in with a general and unsubstantiated post angrily vomiting up political talking points.

But I would be upset too if I had to tell people I was an “environmental scientist”.

Real scientists are laughing hard....
lol. there's substantial research backing everything that i talked about. you have no earthly idea what you're talking about.

lol. there's substantial research backing everything that i talked about. you have no earthly idea what you're talking about.

Actually, I do.

But keep flailing away posting a bunch of unsubstantiated nonsense and misunderstanding my posts.

It’s what political hacks like you do.

Actually, I do.

But keep flailing away posting a bunch of unsubstantiated nonsense and misunderstanding my posts.

It’s what political hacks like you do.
my background is in political ecology and social-ecological systems. climate change is inextricable from politics, because politics at its core is what determines allocation of resources, natural and otherwise. acting as though the two are separate is magical thinking.

say the word "unsubstantiated" a few more times if it makes you happier, though. you do you.

FFS, we used coal and oil in the industrial revolution. These are outdated energy sources and they are only being propped up bc decrepit billionaires in these industries are acting as sugar daddies to our politicians.

There is no debate about this issue. To say otherwise and try to be a contrarian makes you look like those folks who used to push science that said cigarette smoking was actually healthy. Especially for pregnant women.

Now the big talking point against drastic action is that othet r countries pollute, too. Since when does the US point to China and India to justify its actions on energy policy? What a ridiculous excuse, especially when you consider that the US is the world's second largest polluter and nearly double that of third place India. To say us curbing our emissions wont have an effect is insanity.

We are supposed to be leaders, but sadly our leaders for some time have been happy to follow on this issue. I'm a big time Obama guy, and yet, he was horrendous on energy (never forget the US became the worlds leader in oil output due to his administration's embrace of fracking. Ugh).

We put a man on the moon 60 years after the first flight, but transitioning to renewables in a decade is somehow ludicrous and unrealistic?

JFC, we have people actually arguing in the EPA that CO2 emissions are a good thing, and then we have others arguing that its Gods will to rise the seas.

I hate us some times.
You can hate yourself all you want. As for me, I'm firing up my beautiful gas guzzling 6.4L 392 and going for a drive. People looking to save the environment are barking up the wrong tree. Population control is by far best way to do that. Until we have that humans will continue to grow and eat up resources.

Advertisement
Chuckle away. It's all good, my friend. But this is a critical issue. You have realtors and insurers recommending folks stay away from the South Florida market precisely bc of climate change. Why kick the can to future generations
?

Just take refuge in knowing that no matter what “we” do, or don’t do, the Earth will do what it wants. As it always has.

The U.S. has taken and is taking efforts to reduce CO2. China, India, and many third world countries are building new coal plants. Most people who sign on to overzealous plans like the Green New Deal think everything is because of us and we are the only solution and that's simply not true.

I'll go on record as saying that in 12 years, which is what they claim we have left, things won't be worse and we'll be having a similar conversation pushed by people can solve your problems for the low, low cost of just your vote.

Just be smart and have as little impact as possible. Its common sense. We'll be fine.

Where is the evidence that taking drastic action will cripple the
Economy? I'll wait.

The US definitely are not leaders in reducing emissions. Absolute BS.

The article You quoted??? Its from 2017!

Oh hey, here look. Here's am from THIS year from the SAME source.

Its titled: U.S. Carbon Emissions Are Up 3.4%. "So What?" Is The Wrong Reaction

Call it whiny. Call it whatever. The time is now for action. We cant afford to be wrong.

The Green New deal would cripple the economy. Drastic enough evidence for you?

Putting barriers and restrictions on companies and industries, especially when other countries do not, will harm the economy. Especially with no real efficient, affordable alternative energy source.

And OMG it was from all the way back in 2017!??? Worthless. Even though it presented data going all the way back to 2005. But your article showing a one year, one time increase disproves everything that came before it.

Advertisement
You can hate yourself all you want. As for me, I'm firing up my beautiful gas guzzling 6.4L 392 and going for a drive. People looking to save the environment are barking up the wrong tree. Population control is by far best way to do that. Until we have that humans will continue to grow and eat up resources.
I'm w you on Population control. Easily as big of an issue.

Just take refuge in knowing that no matter what “we” do, or don’t do, the Earth will do what it wants. As it always has.
No one is saying the planet is going to somehow spontaneously combust or go away. It's about making the planet habitable while we and our children are on it.

The Green New deal would cripple the economy. Drastic enough evidence for you?

Putting barriers and restrictions on companies and industries, especially when other countries do not, will harm the economy. Especially with no real efficient, affordable alternative energy source.

And OMG it was from all the way back in 2017!??? Worthless. Even though it presented data going all the way back to 2005. But your article showing a one year, one time increase disproves everything that came before it.
First line of your post ain't evidence. It's an (incortect) talking point at best. Btw, the new green deal is the wrong approach, which we might agree on.

And yes, the article from 2017 is worthless bc policies have clearly changed since then. 2017 America when that article was written is very different from 2019 America. Just wait til the stats for this year come out next year.

And again, in case we weren't clear, America is no leader in reducing carbon emissions.

Advertisement
Back