Really Really OT...Kind of: Future of Miami

Advertisement
Kudos to the OP. Glad to see this issue addressed on this board.
Twenty years from now, Miami will be a different city. There is no going back. The only issue will be how to retreat from the coasts...It's already happening in Louisiana and California...

Well, to be honest we're basically at a point of no return.

But the biggest impact us the people can make is voting for people who are pro-environment.

Other than that, things like going vegetarian and cutting back on using motor vehicles (which are quite frankly too drastic of changes for a vast amount of people to make) is really all we can do, but really wouldnt help much at this point.

So there's absolutely nothing you or anyone else can do about it other than sit and wring your hands over it.

Got it.

At least there will be plenty of material for unis and shoes... do you think us fans will get those cheaper..

We are all doomed. But the end won't come until after this upcoming college football season, so enjoy!
Yeah, right. Be realistic and sensible. But use birth control.

I know something is happening. A year or so ago I watched a video of flooding in South Beach after a bad rainstorm.

I never saw fish swimming along on South Beach streets when I lived in Miami Beach (I left in '63.)

Something is happening there...I used to fish a lot as a kid. Never though the southern end of Collins Avenue might be a prime fishing spot. As I said, something is happening.

Advertisement
Climate change is real. Sea level rise is real. It's not just beach erosion. Concrete sea walls and other man made structure that hasn't eroded now has high tide waters washing over them.

The thing is, it's gradual and pretty much everyone here will be dead by the time something drastic happens. Not really sure there's anything that we can do now to stop climate change. I'm not in the "I'll be dead so I don't care" camp. I just don't think the world as we know it is save-able.

I know I may sound like Dock Ellis running our of left field here, but do any of you guys or girls ever worry about losing the program to rising sea levels. I was reading an article about rising sea levels and what the world will look like in the future and Miami is up there with a lot of popular places that would be first to go if an event were to happen. I know its not going to happen tomorrow or next year, but ten, twenty or even fifty years from now we could be talking about the city of Miami like it was Atlantis. Just look at a picture of the shore line on South Beach from the 60's or 70's and compare it to what it looks like now and the evidence is there. I sometimes worry that I will have to tell my grand children about the greatest college football team of all time and how the city it is located in no longer exist. What are your thoughts, concerns or criticisms about the subject?

A thousand years from now - you'll have forgotten all about it.

Advertisement
I know I may sound like Dock Ellis running our of left field here, but do any of you guys or girls ever worry about losing the program to rising sea levels. I was reading an article about rising sea levels and what the world will look like in the future and Miami is up there with a lot of popular places that would be first to go if an event were to happen. I know its not going to happen tomorrow or next year, but ten, twenty or even fifty years from now we could be talking about the city of Miami like it was Atlantis. Just look at a picture of the shore line on South Beach from the 60's or 70's and compare it to what it looks like now and the evidence is there. I sometimes worry that I will have to tell my grand children about the greatest college football team of all time and how the city it is located in no longer exist. What are your thoughts, concerns or criticisms about the subject?

You ever think many on this board live in South Florida and thus any damaging effect of sea level rise would have much more pressing impacts than loss of your precious Saturday watching a college football team?

Dumb thread

So there's absolutely nothing you or anyone else can do about it other than sit and wring your hands over it.

Got it.
Unfortunately, most likely yes. However the point of my post wasnt to inspire everyone here to do something about it.

Theres people here that simply deny that its even a thing, and that is just incorrect, period. Thats all I was getting at.

Advertisement
It’s a thing because it’s it’s always been a thing. With or without man.

Seas wIll rise and retreat many times in the future. The cycle will repeat itself many times in the future, just like in the past.

Florida has been underwater many times through the eons.. That’s just a fact. Why do you think the base in south Florida is limestone? Limestone is dead sea animals.

It’s a cycle in climate. Just like ice ages.

Should we try to transition reasonably and logically to renewable energy sources? Of course. But nobody is stopping the inevitable natural cycles.

Like I said before, unless China and all the third world countries that contribute to most of the emissions do something...CO2 output into the atmosphere will not appreciably change. And even if they do, which they aren’t, it’s debatable it would change anything to an amount which would result in the change of inevitable cycles.

People are conflating things and assuming a changeable cause and effect.

FFS, we used coal and oil in the industrial revolution. These are outdated energy sources and they are only being propped up bc decrepit billionaires in these industries are acting as sugar daddies to our politicians.

There is no debate about this issue. To say otherwise and try to be a contrarian makes you look like those folks who used to push science that said cigarette smoking was actually healthy. Especially for pregnant women.

Now the big talking point against drastic action is that othet r countries pollute, too. Since when does the US point to China and India to justify its actions on energy policy? What a ridiculous excuse, especially when you consider that the US is the world's second largest polluter and nearly double that of third place India. To say us curbing our emissions wont have an effect is insanity.

We are supposed to be leaders, but sadly our leaders for some time have been happy to follow on this issue. I'm a big time Obama guy, and yet, he was horrendous on energy (never forget the US became the worlds leader in oil output due to his administration's embrace of fracking. Ugh).

We put a man on the moon 60 years after the first flight, but transitioning to renewables in a decade is somehow ludicrous and unrealistic?

JFC, we have people actually arguing in the EPA that CO2 emissions are a good thing, and then we have others arguing that its Gods will to rise the seas.

I hate us some times.

Advertisement
lol, we got a lot of amateur environmental scientists dropping dumbassery in here. lot to unpack, but for starters this whole “buhhhhh China” thing is an excuse from people who can’t bear to imagine the US taking a shred of accountability. if you factor in historic emissions, which of course are just as much of a contributor to global climate change as current emissions, the US is the world leader. not to mention china and india have both been far more proactive on climate action than the US in recent years (though neither country is doing enough).

and no, it’s not about changing individual consumption patterns, it’s about changing the systems that drive them. it’s entirely possible to limit warning to manageable levels, but frankly neither political party is proposing solutions that are even close to adequate, because **** near every politician in this country is in the pocket of the massive oil companies that put us in this mess in the first place.

I
Actually, USSR and KGB, but you are close. I remember in the 70’s it was new ice age and save the trees. So plastic bags replaced paper and we stopped using spay cans. I guess that worked. For me, our home is on that ridge that runs down FL east coast. I am looking forward to owning ocean front property. All Cane welcome for beach parties.

I remember watching in search of with Leonard Nimoy and it was all about global freezing.

68912EBC-0E4F-453C-BF63-0F41A890F47C.jpeg

Semper Canes!!!

It’s a thing because it’s it’s always been a thing. With or without man.

Seas wIll rise and retreat many times in the future. The cycle will repeat itself many times in the future, just like in the past.

Florida has been underwater many times through the eons.. That’s just a fact. Why do you think the base in south Florida is limestone? Limestone is dead sea animals.

It’s a cycle in climate. Just like ice ages.

Should we try to transition reasonably and logically to renewable energy sources? Of course. But nobody is stopping the inevitable natural cycles.

Like I said before, unless China and all the third world countries that contribute to most of the emissions do something...CO2 output into the atmosphere will not appreciably change. And even if they do, which they aren’t, it’s debatable it would change anything to an amount which would result in the change of inevitable cycles.

People are conflating things and assuming a changeable cause and effect.
Very good post. The climate has cycled since the beginning of time, both hot and cold. Of course we all should be conscience of pollutants and emmisions, etc but the cycles will continue as they always have. It's also ironic that you mention limestone base and CO2 dispersement, I treat drinking water and we use limestone to precipitate the CO2 in ground water. This raises the PH and reduces calcium and magnesium, basically softening.

Advertisement
Back