Really Really OT...Kind of: Future of Miami

You millennials are so stupid it's scary. You have been brainwashed, and there is plenty of evidence around but you just disregard it because your critical thinking skills have atrophied. Go watch Al Gore's Inconvenient Truth. According to Al Gore New York should be underwater right? Why is it not? You progressives love world government, well the UN's climate report in the mid-80's said the same **** thing as the crap they are feeding you now...coastal cities underwater, people starving, climate change migration. Well all that terror was suppose to happen in 30 years. That would have been 3 or 4 years ago. Has it happened? Why not? If the powers that be REALLY believed in sea level rise, and man made climate change, why are they buying $20,000,000 right next to the ocean in south Florida and the Keys? Seems like a bad investment to me!
I truly truly fear for the world my children will have to grow up in.

Advertisement
Since WWII was brought up, I’d like to at least offer something to the conversation for you to consider.

1) Science’s flaw is weather records have only been being kept for a little over a century or so. That's an awfully small sample size to provide enough data to make sweeping conclusions based on millions of years of weather on this planet.

2) The U.S. Navy, just before WWII rounded up all the old whaling captains they could find. Whaling captains kept meticulous logs, some of the best in Maritime history. They needed help charting the Pacific. The point here is this - weather was covered in most every log entry those captains made.

Now, an observation from someone in history with no political ax to grind.

Captain George Fred Tilton was the Master of seven different whaling ships. He became famous in 1898 for his 2000 mile trek across Alaska from Point Barrows to save the lives of crews from four ships stranded in the ice. His book "Cap'n George Fred Him Self," is one of the best original accounts of the life of a Whaler outside of Melville. In his 1928 published book, he explains some revealing observations of huge variations in the polar ice cap (variations were why he had to go save those men), not from a single visit, but rather from a lifetime sailing there in the mid-latter 1800s:

It was our custom to go somewhere about seven hundred miles beyond Franklin's Return Reef to Banks Land and Melville Sound, and that might seem funny to a good many people who never sailed north. You see, the polar circle chart made by McClure in 1855 shows all of that ice in there marked "immovable." Well, I have sailed all over that part of the Arctic Ocean, and not only that - there have been times when there wasn't a bit of ice in sight. There were summers, though, when we couldn't get within three hundred and fifty miles of Banks Land. That's how the seasons vary. Any Arctic whale-man will tell you that when a man goes into the Arctic he is a total stranger to the conditions every year. The land, naturally, is well anchored and don't shift, but that's the only thing that don't vary. In thirty-two years that I spent in the Arctic, I have never seen two summers alike as regards to ice.

Can you just imagine the media explosion if one of today's scientists recorded such differences in the ice cap over a year or two? What is even more incredible is Capt Tilton's observations were based on a map produced nine years before the invention of the Internal Combustion Engine.

I've lived long enough to survive both "The coming Ice age" Look up that 70's Time cover, and "Global Warming". We're humans we will do us in long before the environment does.

Just something to consider.

And Oh, yeah, there's this NOAA chart from June, 1974 Time Mag article Another Ice Age?

Last edited:
Because when you think "climate denier", you of course think of those ultra conservative right wing Finlanders...

You just can't make this **** up...well I guess you could.because the world ends in 12 years anyways...

Because when you think "climate denier", you of course think of those ultra conservative right wing Finlanders...

You just can't make this **** up...well I guess you could.because the world ends in 12 years anyways...
11 years and 8 months. Science means keeping accurate time records too.

Advertisement
You millennials are so stupid it's scary. You have been brainwashed, and there is plenty of evidence around but you just disregard it because your critical thinking skills have atrophied. Go watch Al Gore's Inconvenient Truth. According to Al Gore New York should be underwater right? Why is it not? You progressives love world government, well the UN's climate report in the mid-80's said the same **** thing as the crap they are feeding you now...coastal cities underwater, people starving, climate change migration. Well all that terror was suppose to happen in 30 years. That would have been 3 or 4 years ago. Has it happened? Why not? If the powers that be REALLY believed in sea level rise, and man made climate change, why are they buying $20,000,000 right next to the ocean in south Florida and the Keys? Seems like a bad investment to me!
lol millennial bad boomer good

Advertisement
I know I may sound like Dock Ellis running our of left field here, but do any of you guys or girls ever worry about losing the program to rising sea levels. I was reading an article about rising sea levels and what the world will look like in the future and Miami is up there with a lot of popular places that would be first to go if an event were to happen. I know its not going to happen tomorrow or next year, but ten, twenty or even fifty years from now we could be talking about the city of Miami like it was Atlantis. Just look at a picture of the shore line on South Beach from the 60's or 70's and compare it to what it looks like now and the evidence is there. I sometimes worry that I will have to tell my grand children about the greatest college football team of all time and how the city it is located in no longer exist. What are your thoughts, concerns or criticisms about the subject?

Yeah, it'll happen - it's just a question of whether it's 40-50 years from now, or 250. Before anyone starts whining and yelling at me about the 40-50 year number, just remember that the stresses to life here will start to show up well before Miami itself is underwater. It will take many, many years for Coral Gables, the Grove and Pinecrest in particular to become fully submerged since these areas are on the coastal ridge - but the stress on living here will render Miami uninhabitable years before the water actually gets to a point where it's flooding most of the city streets. Saltwater intrusion to fresh water stores is a big one.

And of course, rising seas will just compound the issues coming from any catastrophic hurricane. I think that many people don't fully comprehend just how lucky we were with Irma in 2017. Before it took a dive into Cuba for a day and weakened itself to Cat 4 status, it was forecast to come right up the gut straight into downtown Miami as an 880-890mb Cat 5, similar strength as the legendary 1935 storm that brutalized the Keys. If that had actually happened, we might have been looking at game over for the entirety of South Florida as we know it. I know I was *****ing myself those couple days leading up to Irma, seriously thinking that there was a real chance I might be forced to leave Miami and try to rebuild my life elsewhere.

Yeah, it'll happen - it's just a question of whether it's 40-50 years from now, or 250. Before anyone starts whining and yelling at me about the 40-50 year number, just remember that the stresses to life here will start to show up well before Miami itself is underwater. It will take many, many years for Coral Gables, the Grove and Pinecrest in particular to become fully submerged since these areas are on the coastal ridge - but the stress on living here will render Miami uninhabitable years before the water actually gets to a point where it's flooding most of the city streets. Saltwater intrusion to fresh water stores is a big one.

And of course, rising seas will just compound the issues coming from any catastrophic hurricane. I think that many people don't fully comprehend just how lucky we were with Irma in 2017. Before it took a dive into Cuba for a day and weakened itself to Cat 4 status, it was forecast to come right up the gut straight into downtown Miami as an 880-890mb Cat 5, similar strength as the legendary 1935 storm that brutalized the Keys. If that had actually happened, we might have been looking at game over for the entirety of South Florida as we know it. I know I was *****ing myself those couple days leading up to Irma, seriously thinking that there was a real chance I might be forced to leave Miami and try to rebuild my life elsewhere.

Yeah, and....?

If you actually care about learning how climate change will most likely effect humanity listen to part of this podcast episode. It is laid out pretty clearly what is realistic and what is reasonable to expect. Strongly recommend a listen, would pay you to listen if I could. Really great conversation that you won’t find in clickbait media.

If you can’t listen to apple podcasts the show is called Econ talk and the episode is bjorn lomborg.
You guys might find it interesting
@JD08 @Empirical Cane @Always Right

Last edited:
Advertisement
Malthusian Doctrine says there will be a positive check long before this becomes an issue.

Advertisement
Back