Really Really OT...Kind of: Future of Miami

Hurricane Hero

Recruit
I know I may sound like Dock Ellis running our of left field here, but do any of you guys or girls ever worry about losing the program to rising sea levels. I was reading an article about rising sea levels and what the world will look like in the future and Miami is up there with a lot of popular places that would be first to go if an event were to happen. I know its not going to happen tomorrow or next year, but ten, twenty or even fifty years from now we could be talking about the city of Miami like it was Atlantis. Just look at a picture of the shore line on South Beach from the 60's or 70's and compare it to what it looks like now and the evidence is there. I sometimes worry that I will have to tell my grand children about the greatest college football team of all time and how the city it is located in no longer exist. What are your thoughts, concerns or criticisms about the subject?

Advertisement
Erosion will take the city long before sea level rise. That's what's taken most of the beaches and that's why replenishment projects are undertaken every so often.

Advertisement
I worry for cities like Miami and I think the issue of rising sea levels will impact lives much sooner rather than later. I hope the politicians are giving sufficient attention to this on the local, state and national level. Unless you're Aquaman, its pretty hard to live underwater.
Selfishly, in Atlanta we can choose not to care. But its the "not going to be my problem" attitude that has gotten this country and world to the point of having these discussions. At some point it is everyone's problem even if it isn't happening in your backyard. And I would submit that the time is now when it is our collective problem.

Climate change is Chinese, liberal hoax.

Coal and fossil fuel is the wave of the future.

Actually, USSR and KGB, but you are close. I remember in the 70’s it was new ice age and save the trees. So plastic bags replaced paper and we stopped using spay cans. I guess that worked. For me, our home is on that ridge that runs down FL east coast. I am looking forward to owning ocean front property. All Cane welcome for beach parties.

Advertisement
If you live in Boston, you have already seen the impact on the city and subways when a lunar tide hits even now.

On another note, the NFL franchise might actually use real dolphins on the roster.

Advertisement
If you go to the beach in Miami and look into the water you can see Atlantis.
**** gettin real.

Unfortunately, this is probably not the best forum for this discussion. A greater majority of football fans in general will side with whatever nonsense their sacred cow political leaders say over hard scientific data, no matter what team they root for, as evidenced by some of the replies above - although granted, I do imagine there are a few more reasonable Canes fans in comparison to those in country *** hick towns like Tuscaloosa, Athens etc.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I know I may sound like Dock Ellis running our of left field here, but do any of you guys or girls ever worry about losing the program to rising sea levels. I was reading an article about rising sea levels and what the world will look like in the future and Miami is up there with a lot of popular places that would be first to go if an event were to happen. I know its not going to happen tomorrow or next year, but ten, twenty or even fifty years from now we could be talking about the city of Miami like it was Atlantis. Just look at a picture of the shore line on South Beach from the 60's or 70's and compare it to what it looks like now and the evidence is there. I sometimes worry that I will have to tell my grand children about the greatest college football team of all time and how the city it is located in no longer exist. What are your thoughts, concerns or criticisms about the subject?

Article in today's Herald about this very topic.

My thoughts are for you to put some concrete shoes on and jump into Biscayne Bay, snowflake.

Advertisement
Back