Really, Just How Good Is This "D'Eriq King" Guy?

Anything less than 11 regular season wins would be a joke. Also, unless we end up playing a good opponent in our NY6 game, losing that would also be pathetic.

Advertisement
9 wins in the Corstal with a Heisman candidate QB and far more talent than any other team we face, would make you happy?

No it wouldn't make me happy. I assume he was asking me how many wins Manny needs to keep his job and continue building. i said at least nine.

The reason I say at least is because if we do have losses, to me it will depend on to who and in what manner when looking back at the season.

I don't see any teams on the schedule that have superior talent. No Ohio States, Alabamas, LSU etc... Have FSU at home, UNC at home. Any loss is likely to be an upset by Vegas.

No it wouldn't make me happy. I assume he was asking me how many wins Manny needs to keep his job and continue building. i said at least nine.

The reason I say at least is because if we do have losses, to me it will depend on to who and in what manner when looking back at the season.

If that is the case I think even with 7 wins he keeps his job.

Advertisement
We've only one 10 games ONCE in the last 17 years.

Winning 10 games this season would absolutely be an accomplishment, a major accomplishment.

I get what you mean, there's not really any team on our schedule that has as much talent as us, but knowing how we are as a program it's a guarantee we'll lose games we have no business losing, the hope is that it only happens once or twice.
I get it, but it just won't feel like it to me because of the competition. Unlike 2017 where we beat 2 ranked teams in our 10 wins, most likely none of the wins in 2020 will be against a top 20 team.

We've only one 10 games ONCE in the last 17 years.

Winning 10 games this season would absolutely be an accomplishment, a major accomplishment.

I get what you mean, there's not really any team on our schedule that has as much talent as us, but knowing how we are as a program it's a guarantee we'll lose games we have no business losing, the hope is that it only happens once or twice.

Seriously? You're going to consider a 10 win season (which presumably includes the bowl game and ACC title game-if we win the division) an accomplishment? Just because we've so rarely done it as of late?

All while we have a great QB who will be with us for only this year? And we have a ridiculous schedule that has 2 Group of 5 teams, a mediocre MSU team and an FCS team? (And we play in the ACC Coastal and don't play Clemson, unless we go to the ACCG.)

Jesus. People's standards are so low.

I honestly think 10 wins with King as QB should be a fireable offense.

• As we've all heard, in his last (somewhat) full season of work, King scored 50 total TDs in only 11 games.

• That sounds pretty **** on paper and personally my Under Armour 6" Boxerjocks are starting to pulsate with excitement, but what do those numbers really mean?

• King's 50 TDs were only 4 less than that year's Heisman Trophy winner and future #1 overall pick, Kyler Murray.

• Murray played in 3 more games than King.

• In fact, in King's 50 TD-shortened season, he scored more or the same amount of total touchdowns than all of these QBs did in their best seasons, despite playing 2-4 less games than all of them:

• Tua Tagovailoa
  • Trevor Lawrence
  • Baker Mayfield (Heisman season)
  • Deshaun Watson
  • Dak Prescott
  • Johnny Manziel (Heisman season)
  • Jameis Winston (Heisman season)
  • Robert Griffin (Heisman season)
  • Tim Tebow (Heisman season)

• What about recent QBs who outscored King in a season?

• Well fvck them, too.

• King accounted for roughly 4.5 TDs per game in 2018. That per game average tops the best seasons by:

• Joe Burrow (Heisman season)
  • Jalen Hurts
  • Justin Fields
  • Kyler Murray (Heisman season)
  • Lamar Jackson (Heisman season)
  • Patrick Mahommes
  • Dwayne Haskins
  • Marcus Mariota (Heisman season)
  • Cam Newton (Heisman season)
  • Sam Bradford (Heisman season)

• King finds himself besting an absolutely eye-opening list of Heisman winners and first round draft picks. He's in the company of a murderer's row of the most elite and impressive college QBs of the last several years.

• There is no other way to say it other than to say the data suggests that D'Eriq King is one of the most dynamic offensive players in all of modern college football.

• Miami has not had a bonafide, elite playmaker and surefire stud at QB in decades.

• Of the 19 QB's I listed above, 16 of them won 11 or more games in their best season.

The Takeaway:

• Manny Diaz has one of the deadliest playmakers at the QB position in the last 15 years of college football.

• He is being paired with an OC who just finished guiding an offense to a top 10 finish in both total yards and total points scored.

• Credit to Manny for bringing these two into the program this off-season, as unlike Tate and Enos, King and Lashlee bring with them on-field and in-game proof of success.

• Barring an injury to King, anything less than 10+ wins would be an abject failure and indisputable evidence that a head coaching change is immediately necessary.

Quick Summary:

*If Manny doesn't win big this year he's a ******.*

I'm not dragging King down, bit resort list based on non-P5 QBs. King has not consistently faced the level of competition as the QBs you mentioned.

Doesn't mean he won't do great things for the Hurricanes, but comparing his stats with those you offered is not quite apples to apples.

Seriously? You're going to consider a 10 win season (which presumably includes the bowl game and ACC title game-if we win the division) an accomplishment? Just because we've so rarely done it as of late?

All while we have a great QB who will be with us for only this year? And we have a ridiculous schedule that has 2 Group of 5 teams, a mediocre MSU team and an FCS team? (And we play in the ACC Coastal and don't play Clemson, unless we go to the ACCG.)

You make a good point.

The OL will cost Miami wins...

again.

Advertisement
I think this team is better than that 2017 team IF the oline can do just enough to give King his chance to ball

no reason we don’t go undefeated and give sunshine a run for his money

the 10 win 2017 team wasn't actually very good when you remove the Ws enabled solely due to D scores to bail out the O (UVA prime example).

Advertisement
Advertisement
The only reason why people seriously think 2017 was that good of a season is because people's expectations have been lowered so much.

A team can count on D making a stop to contribute to a W. A team can never, never, factor in D scores and expect any reasonable chance to earn the W in any contest.

I get it, but it just won't feel like it to me because of the competition. Unlike 2017 where we beat 2 ranked teams in our 10 wins, most likely none of the wins in 2020 will be against a top 20 team.

There will be some ranked teams on our schedule.

UNC is returning the best freshman ever at QB. Also returning his top 3 WR and his top two RBs.

They have potential to be top 15ish all season, probably the Preseason coastal favorite

I didn't include a bowl game, just regular season.

And if you think going 10-2 or 11-1 in the regular season is a bad season you're just a troll or not really a fan at all.

We've gone nearly 2 decades with only 1 winning season, to expect an undefeated season out of nowhere is really quite delusional & stupid.

Advertisement
Back