Realistic goals

View as article
Advertisement
This is a general answer, but I'm most worried about CB. I haven't loved our QB recruiting in '23 and '24, but I expect us to land a transfer and I'm more bullish on Jacurri than most.
I'm putting my nuts on the table for Jacurri too. Kid is an elite athlete. Fix some small things & we might have a superstar. I would take a kid like him every year if it was up to me. His ceiling is as high as you can get imo.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Pretty significantly too, at the moment. -140 on the under at DK.
If the persistent action on the under continues, it would be worth being contrarian and snagging nice + money on the over. Even taking the green and orange shades off…Grouped as follows:

Likely wins
- Miami OH
- GT
- Bethune (a lock but for the sake of groupings)
- Temple
- UVA

We should be double digit favorites against each of these teams.

50-70%
- BC
- Louisville
- NC St

BC probably inches closer to 75% but end of year road trip against an inferior opponent in cold weather is always weird. NC St will have a good defense but a lot of question marks on offense. Armstrong is mid imo, Anae made him into a solid product two years ago and we saw the drop off last year. Doesn’t have a ton of weapons at NC St.

45%
- UNC

Worst-case imo. We’re probably 3-4.5 dogs as of today, but that could inch closer to 2, should we look the part early on.

35% or less
- A&M
- Clemson
- FSU

Before anyone comes at me for the last three, a 7 pt spread indicates less than a 30% of winning…so the final three fall in that category. Might find some 6.5’s for A&M, but the win probability still remains at 35% or worse.

Last edited:
Ice Hockey GIF

Also, finishing with another Top 10 class would be a **** of an achievement. Here are the teams who have stacked back-to-back Top 10 classes in the last 6 cycles:

2018-2019:

UGA
Texas
Alabama
Clemson
Oklahoma

2019-2020:

Alabama
UGA
Texas
A&M
LSU
Michigan
Florida
Clemson

2020-2021:

UGA
Alabama
Clemson
LSU
Ohio State
A&M

2021-2022:

Alabama
Ohio St
UGA
Clemson
A&M
Notre Dame
Oklahoma

2022-2023:

Alabama
UGA
Ohio St
Texas
Oklahoma

That's all. So you can see how few teams do this back to back years. It's basically 5-6 teams per year. Alabama and UGA are the only 2 teams who have done it for 6 consecutive years. Ohio State is the only team to have done it the last 3 years. You can see how rare this is and how elite the teams are who do it. Back to back in the Top 10 is how you build a program. If Mario can pull it off with a 5-7 season stuck in the middle of it, that's a **** of an accomplishment.

Moving the goal posts on Mario once again.
Why did we hire him then? You don’t think Kiffin could land 3 top 100 players here? In fact, he’d already have two in Jojo and Jeremiah.

Whole point of hiring Mario was recruiting top 10 classes every year no matter the circumstances. He doesn’t bring anything else to the table.

Advertisement
Advertisement
I will know we are headed in the right direction when we stop having to wait 3-4 years for kids to not just develop enough to be All-ACC/NFL early entry worthy....but develop enough to just be a contributing starter! This whole "Pandemic year" has halted our expectations for kids to be ready to go by there 2nd year and to be **** near NFL mock draft ready by their 3rd year. We are waiting 4-5 years for the light to come on for kids and thats not the way to go. (and 6 years in some cases. Mallory, Ivey, etc) These are the kids who IMO are at the "We need you THIS YEAR, or we dont need you at all" list.

*Wes Bissainthe - Sorry Wes. Love ya but we got some "90s-early 2000s" looking LBs coming in (Popo, Bryant, BWash) and they are ready to take a spot. He was supposed to be instant impact. INSTANT impact. Lets get going!

*Chris Graves - He HAS to get in the 2 deep. Its a must. If hes not in the 2 deep by this year are we expecting him to be a starter by next year as a 3rd yr player???

*Jacolby George - 3rd year guy. Whats he waiting on? This year is the year. No more excuses.

*Jalen Rivers - Cooper and Kinsler are coming. Tired of the hype. He was supposed to be a "NFL Mock draft" type guy by now. No more excuses.

*Don Chaney - injuries have killed his career but we dont need him next season if he dont pop now. RB room getting crowded. And Citizen is back in the fold in 2024. McGahee only needed one year to show what he can do. Time for the Don to show us something. Anything.

I know i am missing some but these are the ones that just popped in my head. I know posters will disagree with some but my overall point holds true..we need some more instant impact guys and less "give him 3-4 years to gain weight and develop and then lets see what we have" guys.

Gotta see it from Dawson & #9 before I can believe. Pieces are tho to be a pretty **** good team imo. I just think Guidry is gonna flurish having one of the best DT & best S in the country. Also I think the light comes on for James Williams.
I agree and having the OL we do should make it much easier for both to be successful.

I guess we know what he is telling recruits.. Thats brutal but gives insight to what outsiders view the program.. Most here are gonna be dismissive but we cant be winning 6/7 games in year 2 with NFL qb and 80 milli coach
Couple that with Venables and Bates can point to the rings, the successful defenses, and 1st round defensive line players and OU's boosters ready and waiting to contribute whatever is needed. We are overmatched by some programs that had onfield results compared to ours.

Advertisement
Back