Realistic goals

View as article
@DMoney what do you think shifted within the program to warrant such a huge change in perception internally across the board? Is this NIL related in terms of structure or just overall dollars? If so, even with a winning season, what changes?

Advertisement
Can’t keep having Ou and Venables eat us up. Not gonna land a top 10 class losing everybody to OU and OSU

Venables on Sirius xm this morning “there’s lots of ways you can be 6-7 none of its any good right? But had we been, had we gotten blown out by a middle Tennessee, had we gotten beat by a Florida state 45-3 the conversation is probably a little different”
Who avoided getting shut out last year. Raise your hand.
1689269292629.png

1689269346957.png

Moving the goal posts on Mario once again.
Why did we hire him then? You don’t think Kiffin could land 3 top 100 players here? In fact, he’d already have two in Jojo and Jeremiah.

Whole point of hiring Mario was recruiting top 10 classes every year no matter the circumstances. He doesn’t bring anything else to the table.

Lane has zero Top 100 kids committed currently.

He signed one Top 100 kid last class.

He signed zero Top 100 kids in 2022.

Good talk tho, see ya out there.

I believe "how the season goes" has always been the case with this class from the beginning. I believe @Cribby said it months ago and has been echoed since by multiple insiders.... that seems to be holding true, so sit back and ride out this thing until December. taking our shades off, can you blame a kid or parent for wanting to see proof of improvement from this team that lost the way we did last season, and the putrid offense we rolled out???? The pressure on this staff is to WIN... and then that will make Mario's life easier in recruiting...

First, if Brent Venables is saying that about Miami on radio, can you imagine what he as well as our main competitors are saying about us behind closed doors?

Mario cleaned his clock grabbing Moten late, beating him out for Matt Lee, flipping Spencer, and it seems he took it personally ha.

But his first season was a disaster, he has no room to throw shade. It was like herpes 1 or herpes 2, neither are good for you.

Advertisement
Lane has zero Top 100 kids committed currently.

He signed one Top 100 kid last class.

He signed zero Top 100 kids in 2022.

Good talk tho, see ya out there.
And while I believe Lane would have had a much better season than Cristobal in Year 1, it should be noted that Cristobal has as many double-digit win seasons in the P5 as Lane does in three less seasons.

*Wes Bissainthe - Sorry Wes. Love ya but we got some "90s-early 2000s" looking LBs coming in (Popo, Bryant, BWash) and they are ready to take a spot. He was supposed to be instant impact. INSTANT impacT. Lets get going!

Nobdy in their right mind was expecting Wes to be an instant Day 1 impact guy at Miami. He was too small and needed the time to develop.

Advertisement
There has been a lot of talk about moving the goalposts in terms of expectations. So I figured we could write down some goals in this thread and see how they pan out. Here are mine:

1) Land 3-4 Top 100 Composite players by the start of the season

We have two Top 100 Composite players committed- DE Marquise Lightfoot (62) and RB Kevin Riley (70). This is a goal, not a prediction, but I think we have a chance to add three or four more by the time the season starts. This will help build a base of impact players so we are not overly reliant on flipping. For reference, below is a list of Top 100 players by class in the Composite Era. NFL players are bolded.

The Shannon Era

Seantrel Henderson-2
Storm Johnson- 40

The Golden Era

Anthony Chickillo- 22

2012- 3

Duke Johnson- 20
Tracy Howard- 23

2013- 4

Al-Quadin Muhammad- 48
Stacy Coley- 65
Kevin Olsen- 93
Artie Burns- 98

2014- 4

Chad Thomas- 25
Joe Yearby- 45
Kc McDermott- 46
Trevor Darling- 93

2015- 1

Mark Walton- 83

The Richt Era

Sam Bruce- 83

2017- 3

Jeff Thomas- 40
Navaughn Donaldson- 72
DJ Johnson- 74

2018- 6

Lorenzo Lingard- 25
Brevin Jordan- 33
Nesta Jade Silvera- 54
Mark Pope- 67
Jarren Williams- 77
Al Blades- 77

The Diaz Era

Jeremiah Payton- 54

2020- 2

Avantae Williams- 45
Chantz Williams- 85

2021- 3

Leonard Taylor- 11
James Williams- 15
Jake Garcia- 48

The Cristobal Era

2022- 2

Cyrus Moss- 70
Nyjalik Kelly- 90

2023- 4

Francis Mauigoa- 10
Samson Okunlola- 23
Rueben Bain- 63
Jayden Wayne- 82

2) Put together a season that breeds confidence from fans and outside observers

This one is self-explanatory. I don't have a number- you know it when you see it. The 2016 season is a good example. There were ups and downs, but by the end of the year most people inside and outside the program felt we were headed in the right direction.

3) Finish with a Top 10 Class

If we accomplish Goals 1 and 2, this will put us in a position to flip some targets and land in the Top 10. Miami hasn't landed consecutive Top 10 classes since 2005- nineteen years ago. This is why we brought in Mario. Add in some good transfers and a high-quality transition class in '22, and this should have Miami's roster in position to take another step.
zoMlwDpwKNG12.gif

Nobdy in their right mind was expecting Wes to be an instant Day 1 impact guy at Miami. He was too small and needed the time to develop.
We will agree to disagree but Wes had loads up hype coming out. LOADS. (pause). I heard "Sean Spence type Freshman year impact" when people spoke about him. Even if Wes had the same or near same numbers as Spence did his freshman year I definitely know he didnt have the same impact. We knew Spence was going to be a problem after that UF game when he threw Tebow to the ground and looked like he belonged out there as a TF. Never really got that feeling at all this year with Wes.

Im not giving up on him. Im saying this year we need him. Learning curve over. Time to show us something. We cant keep going to the portal because guys we depended on to be ready arent developing fast enough. (looking at you Chris Graves)

Advertisement
There has been a lot of talk about moving the goalposts in terms of expectations. So I figured we could write down some goals in this thread and see how they pan out. Here are mine:

We have two Top 100 Composite players committed- DE Marquise Lightfoot (62) and RB Kevin Riley (70). This is a goal, not a prediction, but I think we have a chance to add three or four more by the time the season starts. This will help build a base of impact players so we are not overly reliant on flipping. For reference, below is a list of Top 100 players by class in the Composite Era. NFL players are bolded.

The Shannon Era

Seantrel Henderson-2
Storm Johnson- 40

The Golden Era

Anthony Chickillo- 22

2012- 3

Duke Johnson- 20
Tracy Howard- 23

2013- 4

Al-Quadin Muhammad- 48
Stacy Coley- 65
Kevin Olsen- 93
Artie Burns- 98

2014- 4

Chad Thomas- 25
Joe Yearby- 45
Kc McDermott- 46
Trevor Darling- 93

2015- 1

Mark Walton- 83

The Richt Era

Sam Bruce- 83

2017- 3

Jeff Thomas- 40
Navaughn Donaldson- 72
DJ Johnson- 74

2018- 6

Lorenzo Lingard- 25
Brevin Jordan- 33
Nesta Jade Silvera- 54
Mark Pope- 67
Jarren Williams- 77
Al Blades- 77

The Diaz Era

Jeremiah Payton- 54

2020- 2

Avantae Williams- 45
Chantz Williams- 85

2021- 3

Leonard Taylor- 11
James Williams- 15
Jake Garcia- 48

The Cristobal Era

2022- 2

Cyrus Moss- 70
Nyjalik Kelly- 90

2023- 4

Francis Mauigoa- 10
Samson Okunlola- 23
Rueben Bain- 63
Jayden Wayne- 82

This one is self-explanatory. I don't have a number- you know it when you see it. The 2016 season is a good example. There were ups and downs, but by the end of the year most people inside and outside the program felt we were headed in the right direction.

If we accomplish Goals 1 and 2, this will put us in a position to flip some targets and land in the Top 10. Miami hasn't landed consecutive Top 10 classes since 2005- nineteen years ago. This is why we brought in Mario. Add in some good transfers and a high-quality transition class in '22, and this should have Miami's roster in position to take another step.

@DMoney IMO, the biggest failure point for recruiting we've had over the past 20 years has been the depth of talent in our classes.

Even if we get 4-6 Top 100 kids and 3-4 pan out, in a 25-30 recruit this class, we need the remaining 25 or so commits to be quality takes and actually contribute on the field. Some of Manny's classes, both as DC and HC had 75% or greater JAG or all-out bust ratios. We had no chance of victory with those rosters.

My Top 3 Expectations:
1. Do what you say your are going to do with DL recruiting and close a top 5 class at that position group.
2. Close a top 20 class across every position group, which almost certainly makes us a Top 10 class overall.
3. Win 8 or more games without humiliating losses.

Advertisement
This season will land on the shoulders of the coaches. Whatever you think our talent level is, its on the coaches to coax that out of the team. They have the pieces to make a proper product. Use what u got to audition for what u want. The only places u could question the overall variation of skill set is the DT position with no true hog molly.

If we wet the bed on the field, our class will disintegrate. Whether we get.commits now or not

Last edited:
That’s literally direct shots fired… wow
Look its easy to talk **** to someone that you know you will never run into. Thats this whole internet tough guy era. Venables doesnt have us on the schedule and the odds of us running into OU in a bowl game are slim so he will never have to stand on what he said. Thats like Mario randomly taking verbal shots at Texas. lol. We would all be like, "WTF Mario? That was random. "

And while I believe Lane would have had a much better season than Cristobal in Year 1, it should be noted that Cristobal has as many double-digit win seasons in the P5 as Lane does in three less seasons.
As someone who wanted Mario, SEC vs PAC is barely comparable

The Shannon Era

Seantrel Henderson-2
Storm Johnson- 40

The Golden Era

Anthony Chickillo- 22

2012- 3

Duke Johnson- 20
Tracy Howard- 23

2013- 4

Al-Quadin Muhammad- 48
Stacy Coley- 65
Kevin Olsen- 93
Artie Burns- 98

2014- 4

Chad Thomas- 25
Joe Yearby- 45
Kc McDermott- 46
Trevor Darling- 93

2015- 1

Mark Walton- 83

The Richt Era

Sam Bruce- 83

2017- 3

Jeff Thomas- 40
Navaughn Donaldson- 72
DJ Johnson- 74

2018- 6

Lorenzo Lingard- 25
Brevin Jordan- 33
Nesta Jade Silvera- 54
Mark Pope- 67
Jarren Williams- 77
Al Blades- 77

The Diaz Era

Jeremiah Payton- 54

2020- 2

Avantae Williams- 45
Chantz Williams- 85

2021- 3

Leonard Taylor- 11
James Williams- 15
Jake Garcia- 48

The Cristobal Era

2022- 2

Cyrus Moss- 70
Nyjalik Kelly- 90

2023- 4

Francis Mauigoa- 10
Samson Okunlola- 23
Rueben Bain- 63
Jayden Wayne- 82

Thanks D$ Definitely realistic

Advertisement
Back