Realistic coaching candidates

Went to a HS game earlier this week and a friend of mine tells me that Coach L is done and he hears Mike Miller is a candidate for the job. My friend is well connected on the HS and AAU circuit, but I'm not sure if/how connected he is to the UM program. told him I thought it was highly unlikely that they'd give the job to someone with no head coaching experience. Aside from playing for the Heat for a few years, I just don't see the connection to give the job to someone so inexperienced as this guy. Stranger things have happened but this one would be right up there if it were to come to fruition.

GO CANES!!!
Isn’t Mike Miller coaching with Penny at Memphis?

Advertisement
Went to a HS game earlier this week and a friend of mine tells me that Coach L is done and he hears Mike Miller is a candidate for the job. My friend is well connected on the HS and AAU circuit, but I'm not sure if/how connected he is to the UM program. told him I thought it was highly unlikely that they'd give the job to someone with no head coaching experience. Aside from playing for the Heat for a few years, I just don't see the connection to give the job to someone so inexperienced as this guy. Stranger things have happened but this one would be right up there if it were to come to fruition.

GO CANES!!!

NBA coach?

NBA coach?
I was referring to Mike Miller former player at uf and for the Miami Heat. He coached a couple of years with Penny at Memphis and took a job at a HS in Texas last year. Again, I think it's very, very unlikely that the Canes would even entertain him as a potential coaching candidate, let alone give him the job. I just thought I'd share what was told to me.

I was referring to Mike Miller former player at uf and for the Miami Heat. He coached a couple of years with Penny at Memphis and took a job at a HS in Texas last year. Again, I think it's very, very unlikely that the Canes would even entertain him as a potential coaching candidate, let alone give him the job. I just thought I'd share what was told to me.

1. I don't want either but if it was a "Mike Miller", I was hoping it was the NBA coach.

2. Mike Miller the Heat basketball player would be atrocious and illogical. It sounds exactly like the type of guy our BOTs and Blake James would go after.

3. There is no reason for a real program to consider Mike Miller PERIOD. Him playing for the Heat is irrelevant.

1. I don't want either but if it was a "Mike Miller", I was hoping it was the NBA coach.

2. Mike Miller the Heat basketball player would be atrocious and illogical. It sounds exactly like the type of guy our BOTs and Blake James would go after.

3. There is no reason for a real program to consider Mike Miller PERIOD. Him playing for the Heat is irrelevant.
I agree with you.

Advertisement
Just thought I'd share a "rumor" with all of you. I went to a HS game earlier and a friend of mine tells me that Coach L is done and he hears Mike Miller is a candidate for the job. My friend is well connected on the HS and AAU circuit, but I'm not sure if/how connected he is to the UM program. told him I thought it was highly unlikely that they'd give the job to someone with no head coaching experience. Aside from playing for the Heat for a few years, I just don't see the connection to give the job to someone so inexperienced as this guy. Stranger things have happened but this one would be right up there if it were to come to fruition.

GO CANES!!!

I agree with you. The Mike Miller portion discredits the rumor. Sure, there may be some truth to it but Mike Miller is a stretch.
It is not a bad idea that the next coach or coaching staff to have someone with NBA experience. Also, Mike Miller does have a son who is committed to Creighton.
I am trying to talk myself into it but it is a stretch right now.

Last edited:
Really outside the box but someone from up my way - Josh Shertz from Lincoln Memorial Univ (DII)

They stay in the top 5 in the country and seem to win 30+ games every year (career .830 winning %) He went to FAU and is from Boca. Started his coaching career at Lynn and FAU. Moved onto Queens and High Point in North Carolina before getting the LMU job.

Shocked he hasn't gotten a call from a smaller D1 yet. Might not be ready for a Big D1 job yet but if you're going down a level he's definitely the best option there is. The most high powered collegiate offense I've seen at the D2 level

Advertisement
Advertisement
Let's have some fun. List your characteristics you want in a head coach and his staff.

My preferences.

1. Great recruiter
Yes, this is the most important characteristic to me. Being a good coach is good but being a great roster manager is better. Coach L and staff did well recruiting north of the DMV but recruiting the state of Florida needs to be added to that foundation. Miami needs 13 scholarship players and 3 walk ons on the roster.

2. Offensive system
I would like to see an offense with more ball movement, better spacing and a lot more player movement. Whether it is the Princeton offense, Dribble Drive Motion offense, 5 out offense or the Real Madrid offense. It has to be an offense that gets the team more easy baskets without watching one player dribble the ball for 20 seconds.

3. Professional assistant coach
I would like to see assistant coach who has played professional basketball. That would definitely get the players attention. Also, we would need an assistant to work with the PGs, one assistant coach to work directly with the wings and one assistant coach to work directly with the bigs.

4. Skill development
As it was mentioned previously, our assistant coaches need to work directly with players to develop and improve their skills. We don't need to hear about how bad our team shoots, we need coaches who can help improve their jumpshots.

5. More pressure defense
We need to play faster and create more offensive possessions. We need to get after it more on the defensive end. We need to trap more and play more full court man to man defense. Yet also, we need to be discipline on the defensive end.

Those would be the ideal characteristics of my ideal coaching staff.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back