Realistic coaching candidates

While I don’t disagree with you in theory in terms of his pure ability as a coach & recruiter, but the fact is Rick Pitino is radioactive in college Basketball & Miami as a program is not the type to make risky brash moves like that.

Blake James or whoever has the most influence over the BBall program at Miami would never hire a guy with Pitino’s baggage & it’s not like his LVille scandal was a long time ago, it was literally just in 2017, that’s just too close to the Sun for things to have cooled off surrounding him & the negative press that would accompany it.

Now if it were me, sure, for us as fans we typically don’t give AF about stuff like that lol, but to people like AD’s & those in charge of hiring coaches it’s a very big deal to them & Miami specially after just sliding by on the Adidas stuff just a few years ago is not apt to doing something controversial like hiring Pitino.

I agree with you on that it's unlikely the powers that be would strongly consider Pitino, particularly so late in his career and after the Adidas scandal. The irony is that while Pitino got fired at Loserville, Miami was able to maneuver their way out of that entire fiasco.

Advertisement
1. No. Just no. That wasn’t the point at all. Why not call it a promotion to be fired at a big conference and go to an inferior?

2. You don’t understand this point either. The point was in reference to you bringing up his tenure at Iona.

3. Is this a serious point? Why not include HS records too? One coached against the Big East and the other coached 7 seasons in the A10. How do you think Grant would do against the BIG East? Which conference, on average, sends more teams to the NCAAT?
Just seems like a lot of what you're saying is contradicting.

My point in all of this is who knows if Grant may or may not be the guy for the job. All I'm saying is I don't think he should be entirely dismissed from the conversation, particularly when you're willing to strongly consider other candidates with very similar resumes.

Just seems like a lot of what you're saying is contradicting.

My point in all of this is who knows if Grant may or may not be the guy for the job. All I'm saying is I don't think he should be entirely dismissed from the conversation, particularly when you're willing to strongly consider other candidates with very similar resumes.

1. No contradiction at all. If so, please explain where?

2. Who am I considering with a similar resume?

3. I didn’t dismiss him. I would want to see more from him but if I had to make the decision today, I’d pass. I’d pass because we can do better. Dayton is 9-4 (5-3). This is more inline with how they did before last year. I want to see more domination and less “meh” when it comes to the competition he is up against.

(Former Miami Asst Coach) Eric Konkol at 44 has shone fairly brightly at Louisiana Tech ever since leaving here:
1611875466314.png

This year so far 12-5 / 5-3.

I know there are a lot of other parameters to consider besides W-L records in a lower conference... but having heard and read many good things, I would not be truly dismayed to see this guy return here as HC.

Advertisement
(Former Miami Asst Coach) Eric Konkol at 44 has shone fairly brightly at Louisiana Tech ever since leaving here:
View attachment 142110

This year so far 12-5 / 5-3.

I know there are a lot of other parameters to consider besides W-L records in a lower conference... but having heard and read many good things, I would not be truly dismayed to see this guy return here as HC.

Zero NCAATs

Zero conference champs.

Advertisement
1. No contradiction at all. If so, please explain where?

2. Who am I considering with a similar resume?

3. I didn’t dismiss him. I would want to see more from him but if I had to make the decision today, I’d pass. I’d pass because we can do better. Dayton is 9-4 (5-3). This is more inline with how they did before last year. I want to see more domination and less “meh” when it comes to the competition he is up against.
In your earlier post, you said "no thanks" to Grant, but "would definitely consider" to Willard, despite both having very similar resumes and success. One could even make a case that Grant's resume is better. That's a bit contradictory to me.

We can do better than Jans. Willard is better IMO. Younger too.

I like Jans BTW. I am just pointing that out.
Williard would be a good. Comes with a Pitino pedigree. Would like to see him win a conference tournament.

That being said Jans was an Assistant for Gregg Marshall at Wichita State. Tearing up his conference.

Building the program means the program was NOTHING and you built it into something. Basically like Coach L here.

In the prior 4 years before Grant came to Dayton:

1. 4 NCAAT appearances
2. Elite 8 appearance

That program was well established. Grant built nothing.
Doubt you get Bennett to leave St Mary's. Been there forever.

LT with Konkol were (likely) headed to the NCAA last year when COVID-19 struck, and the conference championship and all else got cancelled. FWIW. But you make a valid point.

Maybe, maybe not.

Let me ask you a question, if Konkol never worked at Miami, would you bring him up as a serious candidate? There are plenty of coaches that are young with similar qualifications; instead show me someone who dominates inferior competition first.

Advertisement
Maybe, maybe not.

Let me ask you a question, if Konkol never worked at Miami, would you bring him up as a serious candidate? There are plenty of coaches that are young with similar qualifications; instead show me someone who dominates inferior competition first.
Yes, probably the Miami connection did it for me. I see your point.

In your earlier post, you said "no thanks" to Grant, but "would definitely consider" to Willard, despite both having very similar resumes and success. One could even make a case that Grant's resume is better. That's a bit contradictory to me.

1. It says "AS OF NOW, NO THANKS". That isn't dismissing him. I think we can do better today and he has more to prove. I am dismissing Caputo. He is a loser. That is dismissing someone.

2. There is nothing similar between Grant and Willard.

- Age, one is MUCH MUCH MUCH younger.

- Success, one has done it on a much higher level.

- Competition, one did sub-par on a higher level.

Nothing similar.

3. I think it is best to agree to disagree.

Advertisement
Doubt you get Bennett to leave St Mary's. Been there forever.

1. You never know until you ask. At UM, we assume no and don't try. This is what you get with no leadership and Blake James/BOTs. Do you realize the most successful coach, over the last 10 years here, applied for the job. We didn't go out and find him. He even submit a resume.

2. If he is your number 1 candidate, he isn't mine, you make him take the job. You sell him. You don't ask for a resume. How much do you think he can possibly make there? I am sure we can give him a raise. Bigger conference.

3. Maybe he realizes he hit a ceiling there and he wants more. Did anyone think Coach L would leave? I am sure he was presented with a bunch of offers between the Final Four and when he wanted our gig. Timing.

1. You never know until you ask. At UM, we assume no and don't try. This is what you get with no leadership and Blake James/BOTs. Do you realize the most successful coach, over the last 10 years here, applied for the job. We didn't go out and find him. He even submit a resume.

2. If he is your number 1 candidate, he isn't mine, you make him take the job. You sell him. You don't ask for a resume. How much do you think he can possibly make there? I am sure we can give him a raise. Bigger conference.

3. Maybe he realizes he hit a ceiling there and he wants more. Did anyone think Coach L would leave? I am sure he was presented with a bunch of offers between the Final Four and when he wanted our gig. Timing.
I don't know what anybody in Hecht assumes. Coaches express interest when a job is open all the time. Maybe Bennett wants to leave because he sure isn't besting Few. Doubt it but there are better options than an older west coast guy. There are more than enough mid major candidates who would like a pop in the ACC.

I would prefer someone who played in the ACC and who has been a successful head coach. I would gauge the interest of Bobby Hurley, Tommy Amaker and Johnny Dawkins, for starters.

Advertisement
Back