Realistic coaching candidates

Anthony Grant is my pick as well, I think he’d do very well here, he’s built Dayton into a legit tournament team & even had a kid like Obi Toppin being drafted in the top 10. Had the tournament not been cancelled last year Dayton was looking at easily being a Sweet 16/ possibly Elite 8 team.

I don’t really hold the Bama years against him either, he had 3 good seasons early in his tenure from 2010-2013 & Bama really just recently started paying attention to Basketball recruiting. For the longest the only thing that mattered to them as a program was Football obviously. I think he did about as good job as he could at Bama given the circumstances. The best season they’ve ever had in their program history was in 04 when they went to the Elite 8 after having a 20-13 season & the most wins they’ve ever had in a season was 27. Coach Grant got them their 2nd highest win total in a season in school history with 25 W’s.

Bama Basketball is not Bama Football, just making the tournament is high level success for that program.

Plus given his history from being a long time assistant on Billy Donovan’s staffs at UF helping build their National championship teams, I think he’d be able to show his recruiting acumen very well at a program with more resources like Miami.

Kelvin Sampson would be my 2nd pick if he were interested in leaving Houston, regardless of some of the controversial off the court violations with him, it can’t be denied the man knows how to build a winning program, what he’s done at Houston has been very impressive considering how he was looked at as “finished” after the way things ended in Oklahoma.

Chris Mooney at Richmond is another name I’d consider.

Travis Ford at Saint Louis is another one as well.
As an Indiana guy, we wish we had Sampson back. He was building a monster before everything came down in 2008. Whoever the eventual hire will be, has to be a game changer, if not-program will go back to Perry Clark status.

Advertisement
I don't know what anybody in Hecht assumes. Coaches express interest when a job is open all the time. Maybe Bennett wants to leave because he sure isn't besting Few. Doubt it but there are better options than an older west coast guy. There are more than enough mid major candidates who would like a pop in the ACC.

What have you seen out of Hecht/BOTs that shows they can go out and get a coach that may be “committed” to their current job?

Look at all the recent material hires:

Richt: Fired by employer
Coach L: applied himself, we didn’t go get him
Manny: no comment
Gino: again, no comment

We’re lazy. We don’t put in any effort. We didn’t even conduct a search or interview candidates after Richt quit.

——-

As for Randy, he is a name to consider. There are better candidates but I am in the camp that we will do worse than him. I can easily see this going the lazy route and hiring Caputo. As for Randy v. Few, very few coaches can best Few. Few is an elite coach. Randy is 11-41 (as of last year, see link below) against him. My guess is he is 11-45, as of today, for a winning % of 19.6%. Mark Few's overall winning % is 83.2% .So essentially, Randy does better against Few than the average coach does against Few (keep in mind Few is 90.5% in conference). My point is I don't fault Randy for wanting to leave because he can't best Few, if that was the reason. Randy definitely has earned a shot at a better program.

Few has dominated the WCC. He has pretty much cemented Gonzaga as the Conference Champion (although Randy won the conference in 2018-19).

Another name to consider:

Ben Jacobson at Northern Iowa

Seasons Coached (current program): 14 (not including this year)
NCAAT Appearances: 4
Conference Champs: 4
Furthest Into NCAAT: Sweet 16

Random Notes: Coached under Greg McDermott before GM left for Iowa State.

Advertisement
Respectfully disagree with those options. Hurley had 2 good seasons at Arizona State but he's below 500 overall in the mediocre PAC12. Amaker has been around forever and his results at his previous P5 stints (Seton Hall and Michigan) were mediocre at best. There's a reason he's still at Harvard. Kind of the same deal with Dawkins. Mediocre results at Stanford, and it's not exactly like he's crushing it at UCF either.
I would prefer someone who played in the ACC and who has been a successful head coach. I would gauge the interest of Bobby Hurley, Tommy Amaker and Johnny Dawkins, for starters.

Some interesting names being brought up in this thread. We are probably wasting our energy, but it's fun to speculate anyway.

Is L even on the hot seat? I haven't seen or heard a single media member question L's future, and Blake James hasn't had to issue the dreaded public vote of confidence.

Some interesting names being brought up in this thread. We are probably wasting our energy, but it's fun to speculate anyway.

Is L even on the hot seat? I haven't seen or heard a single media member question L's future, and Blake James hasn't had to issue the dreaded public vote of confidence.
I haven't seen anything about him being on the hot seat. They'll most likely excuse this season to injury and Covid. I believe he will never get fired but coach until he retires.

I haven't seen anything about him being on the hot seat. They'll most likely excuse this season to injury and Covid. I believe he will never get fired but coach until he retires.
That would be a **** shame, but judging by how incompetent, lazy, and apathetic the athletic department is, you're probably right. The only thing we can hope for is L volunteers to retire.

Advertisement

We’re Miami. Is anyone ever on the hot seat?

Here is what we know:

1. We employ the “unemployable”.

2. We have no standards and zero accountability.

3. We love hiring another team’s trash.

4. We waste money and throw out unnecessary extensions like they’re candy.

5. Our BOTs and AD fuel the athletic department with apathy.

This isn’t a joke. We’ve been saying this for many many many years now.

Last edited:

Quite honestly, Coach L's saving grace here may be Miami not allowing fans in (eg; FSU has allowed limited numbers last few weeks.) I'm quite sure after this Matt Cross debacle, next home game there would be boo's heard... now you got your hotseat.

Advertisement
We’re Miami. Is anyone ever on the hot seat?

Here is what we know:

1. We employ the “unemployable”.

2. We have no standards and zero accountability.

3. We love hiring another team’s trash.

4. We waste money and throw out unnecessary extensions like they’re candy.

5. Our BOTs and AD fuel the athletic department with apathy.

This isn’t a joke. We’ve been saying this for many many many years now.
Hard to stomach but all of that is sadly true.

What about Miami Heat assistant coaches Malik Allen or Chris Quinn from the heat? Instill some Heat Culture into our program? Thoughts?

Another name to consider under 50:

Pat Kelsey at Winthrop

Seasons Coached (current program): 8 (not including this year)
NCAAT Appearances: 1
Conference Champs: 2
Furthest Into NCAAT: First 4

Random Notes: Coached under Chris Mack at Xavier for a few seasons before taking the HC gig at Winthrop.

My thoughts:

1. Pat Kelsey took over a Winthrop program that was "damaged" by Randy Peele. In the prior 2 seasons before Kelsey became HC, Winthrop was 25-37 (17-19). It is easy to see how he revived the program.

2. 2019-20 / Last year the season was cancelled before the NCAAT. Winthrop won their conference and was headed to the NCAAT. During this season, Winthop was able to go on the road and get a win at Saint Mary's.

3. This year his team is 16-1 [13-1]. This means he is on pace to win the conference and make the NCAAT. As it stands NOW, his record in conference over the last 3 seasons (including this season) is 38-10 (79.2%).

4. The Big South is not a good conference. Dominating this conference isn't that special.

IMO, he is gone after this year. He is on pace to win the conference and make the NCAAT. He deserves a chance at a much bigger program.

Advertisement
I've posted something like this before but here it is again. Feel free to ignore.

------------------

Remember, you can learn a lot from the WHOLE career of Frank Haith.

When you look for your next college basketball HC, you should follow simple logic and common sense. Following this doesn't guarantee success but it increases the chances of it happening.

1. Mid-Major HC: The mid-majors are a breeding ground for coaches who deserve a shot at a higher level. You can evaluate an HC and how he does against an inferior conference. You can also see how they do when they make the post season (e.g. NCAAT). Ideally, you want a coach that dominates the inferior conference and wins conference championships. If he does neither, he isn't likely a good candidate. You're not looking for one great season but a bunch. Then, you want to see how often and how far he makes it in the NCAAT. With that said, I don't blame an HC at a mid-major if they can't get out of the round of 32/16. At some point, these mid-major teams go against a big team and they bounce. Of course we've seen exceptions but...they seem to lose eventually.

If you find a coach that dominates the inferior conference, wins conference championships and is making the NCAAT then logic tells you he deserves a chance at higher level. Also, it is important to consider the quality of the conference as not all mid-major conferences are the same.

Examples: Konkol or Huger. Neither have done the above. Nobody would even consider them TODAY if they didn't coach here.

2. Former HC at a big conference program that was fired. Not all coaches are fired for poor performance (e.g. Rick Pitino or Gregg Marshall). If a coach, when promoted to a higher conference (e.g. mid-major to power), does sub-par at a higher conference then the chances are he won't do better at an even higher conference if given the chance. If there is a coach that went to a power conference, was fired and then hired by an inferior conference...you shouldn't forget that they did poorly at a higher conference when given the opportunity. With that said, I do believe in second chances. If there was a coach who was fired (i.e. fired for poor performance) from a PAC-12 school (or any power conference) and then went to (insert mid-major here) and was able to dominate that conference through multiple seasons, perhaps they should be given a second chance. Perhaps this HC has learned from their mistakes and deserves another chance. Perhaps that HC choose a terrible job or it was a horrible fit.

3. Taking an HC from another power conference. This is Frank Haith again. Missouri was dumb to take him from us. He sucked when he was here. There is no reason to think he was going to do big things at Missouri when he couldn't do chit here.

Example: Frank Martin. I wouldn't consider him at all.

4. No college assistants. I don't care if he has rotated Coach K's grapes for the last 25 years, if he has ZERO HC experience, no thanks. This doesn't apply to an NBA assistant, per se. This is why you don't consider Caputo, plus he sucks. This is why we should have NEVER hired Frank Haith.

Example: Frank Haith again.

5. Age. Age should not be used against someone, per se. I don't care if a coach is in his 60s, if he has the track record (above) then bring him in. That doesn't mean I want to hire Steve Fisher. With that said, if there is a young guy (e.g. under 45) who is dominating an inferior conference, it is a plus that he is young and dominating. Perhaps he might be able to learn more.

For example: John Beilein is turning 68 in February. I would take him in a second. I don't care if we only get 2-3 seasons out of him.

6. Tenure or how long he will coach at Miami. This is one of the most illogical points I hear people talk about. You're not hiring a coach into perpetuity. You're hiring a coach for now. There is no guarantee you can keep your HC. Perhaps he has great success and some other program wants him or the NBA wants him. That is fine. You can find someone else. You want other teams to covet your coaches because teams tend to want other teams' success (this is the opposite of Frank Haith and Missouri).

7. Who did your HC coach under? It is great if the HC you're considering was a coach under someone who had a lot of success or a great track record.

For Example: Chris Jans coached under Gregg Marshall for over 7 seasons at WSU.

Just thought I'd share a "rumor" with all of you. I went to a HS game earlier and a friend of mine tells me that Coach L is done and he hears Mike Miller is a candidate for the job. My friend is well connected on the HS and AAU circuit, but I'm not sure if/how connected he is to the UM program. told him I thought it was highly unlikely that they'd give the job to someone with no head coaching experience. Aside from playing for the Heat for a few years, I just don't see the connection to give the job to someone so inexperienced as this guy. Stranger things have happened but this one would be right up there if it were to come to fruition.

GO CANES!!!

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back