Realistic coaching candidates

Advertisement
Quite honestly, Coach L's saving grace here may be Miami not allowing fans in (eg; FSU has allowed limited numbers last few weeks.) I'm quite sure after this Matt Cross debacle, next home game there would be boo's heard... now you got your hotseat.
Our jackass fanbase wouldn't even be bothered to show up, if they even could. The only time they come around is when times are good, and they love to whine or forget the program exists otherwise. I remember when Miami basketball was rolling along and our "Fans" actually hated the fact that it was getting attention. To quote a former Miami letterwinner, who was fortunate enough to play for both L and Haith "Our fans suck, we know the real ones that support us through thick and thin, we liked it better when it was just those people."

What are your thoughts on Russell Turner?

Russell Turner (50) at UC Irvine

Seasons Coached (current program): 10 (not including this year)
NCAAT Appearances: 2
Conference Champs: 2
Furthest Into NCAAT: Round of 32
2019-20 Season: UCI was in first place in the conference. The Big West Tourney was called off before played.

Random Notes:

1. Was an NBA assistant coach for 6 seasons under Don Nelson and Mike Montgomery. Montgomery, leaving Stanford, took him to the NBA to coach the Warriors.

2. The prior HC at UCI was Pat Douglass. In 3 of the 4 prior years before Turner became HC, UCI had a losing record. UCI never went to the NCAAT before Turner became HC. UCI was a pretty garbage program.

Advertisement
Richard pitino, grant, miller... if it's this year. he's allowed to have everyone come back, so I question who would leave if new coach came in.

What are your thoughts on Russell Turner?

Russell Turner (50) at UC Irvine

Seasons Coached (current program): 10 (not including this year)
NCAAT Appearances: 2
Conference Champs: 2
Furthest Into NCAAT: Round of 32
2019-20 Season: UCI was in first place in the conference. The Big West Tourney was called off before played.

Random Notes:

1. Was an NBA assistant coach for 6 seasons under Don Nelson and Mike Montgomery. Montgomery, leaving Stanford, took him to the NBA to coach the Warriors.

2. The prior HC at UCI was Pat Douglass. In 3 of the 4 prior years before Turner became HC, UCI had a losing record. UCI never went to the NCAAT before Turner became HC. UCI was a pretty garbage program.
Don't know much about him, but I'd prefer someone who has some east coast ties

Advertisement
Again, I don't think Coach L gets his walking papers this season and not sure he should. I do think he needs to address some of the deficiencies on his coaching staff. IF, Coach L were to be replaced, Matt McMahon from Murray State is another guy I like. It doesn't bode well for his chances that Murray St. is struggling this season, but I think he's done a good job otherwise. He's known as a good recruiter and developer of talent. A no nonsense type of guy.

Advertisement
Our jackass fanbase wouldn't even be bothered to show up, if they even could. The only time they come around is when times are good, and they love to whine or forget the program exists otherwise. I remember when Miami basketball was rolling along and our "Fans" actually hated the fact that it was getting attention. To quote a former Miami letterwinner, who was fortunate enough to play for both L and Haith "Our fans suck, we know the real ones that support us through thick and thin, we liked it better when it was just those people."
Debatable to say lotsa fans showed up even "when times were good." I'd say attendance for marquee games increased but after the success we had back then, you'd have thought there woulda been sellouts for all games. And, when I say sell outs, I don't mean the kind the Ath Dept trumpets (where half the seats are somehow still empty).

I still believe that if we ever got a truly charismatic coach, he fielded a great team, and that team won a lot, fans would come out. I mean, again, the place only seats what, 8,000+ ?? It's sort of a shame to say it would take such a perfect storm to have sellouts for most every game but ...

I think it would be a little early in his career for an ACC job, but one coach I have my eye on is Dennis Gates at Cleveland State. Was an assistant under Hamilton at FSU for years, so has ACC experience (and Florida connections). At Cleveland State, he came in to a situation that was an absolute dumpster fire, and in his 2nd year there, he has them at 15-6 (15-3 in conference) and tied for 1st with Wright State.

Is he someone that would be my first choice if the job came available after this season? Probably not, based off of only having less than 2 seasons under his belt as a head coach. But I'm encouraged by what I see. And given that I don't think James moves on from Coach L after this year, when I do think the move finally happens in 1-2 years, Gates will have more seasoning at that point.

Wes Miller would be the top guy for me if the job did open up after this season.

Advertisement
I think it would be a little early in his career for an ACC job, but one coach I have my eye on is Dennis Gates at Cleveland State. Was an assistant under Hamilton at FSU for years, so has ACC experience (and Florida connections). At Cleveland State, he came in to a situation that was an absolute dumpster fire, and in his 2nd year there, he has them at 15-6 (15-3 in conference) and tied for 1st with Wright State.

Is he someone that would be my first choice if the job came available after this season? Probably not, based off of only having less than 2 seasons under his belt as a head coach. But I'm encouraged by what I see. And given that I don't think James moves on from Coach L after this year, when I do think the move finally happens in 1-2 years, Gates will have more seasoning at that point.

Wes Miller would be the top guy for me if the job did open up after this season.

If Gates could actually do something of significance, which he hasn’t yet, I’d agree he would be a strong consideration.

-

Until he:

1. Wins the conference,
2. Makes the NCAAT (can win a game), and
3. Dominates inferior competition in said conference

You pass. In fact, as of today, he is not the best coach in that conference. Nagy is the best coach in the Horizon. Also, the Horizon isn’t exactly a high quality mid-major.

Debatable to say lotsa fans showed up even "when times were good." I'd say attendance for marquee games increased but after the success we had back then, you'd have thought there woulda been sellouts for all games. And, when I say sell outs, I don't mean the kind the Ath Dept trumpets (where half the seats are somehow still empty).

I still believe that if we ever got a truly charismatic coach, he fielded a great team, and that team won a lot, fans would come out. I mean, again, the place only seats what, 8,000+ ?? It's sort of a shame to say it would take such a perfect storm to have sellouts for most every game but ...
Has L every really sold the program though? That’s what we need! Pizza and doughnuts to students doesn’t count. You need a big college hoops name down here. Still think you can’t go wrong with Richard pitino or Anthony grant. You need a program builder. More importantly. You need to find the hoops version of jimmy Johnson!

Advertisement
Back