REALIGNMENT MEGGGGAAAA THREAAAD

Advertisement
You're thinking like a football fan and not a CEO. As Wayne Gretsky once famously explained, he doesn't skate to the puck, he skates to where he thinks the puck will be.

UCLA is a large, prestigious, state school with a rich sports history, a great brand, incredible academics, in one of the most valuable TV markets in America. Have they played to their potential as a program of late? Of course not. They are very budget sensitive as opposed to SEC schools who find a way. You put them in an SEC level conference where they will be pulling down 2x a year, you better believe their value will skyrocket, as will their facilities, performance, TV worth, and enterprise value.
I agree with most of what you said and am personally a fan of both LA schools (as universities) but you're glossing over two very large issues with UCLA. They're always going to be USC's baby brother in football in that market and their administration makes Miami look like Baga when it comes to an overall financial commitment to football. Their overall brand is strong but only in hoops so sans the shared big market we're basically talking a poor man's version of the current iteration of UNC.

Advertisement
Did Texas A&M want Texas?

That "Gentlemen's Agreement" BS that never existed in the first place is officially out the window

No they dont lol... their 1st reaction was the right one, but they must know they dont have the votes to block them and we're probably told to conform for the good of the conference.

I would think Congress would have to step in at some point. The SEC and ESPN are literally trying to destroy an entire industry.

What's crazy to me is nobody is in control of this, nobody was in control of NIL, there's a massive power vacuum that's supposed to be coordinating and it's just not there.

ACC grant of rights runs through 2035. MUCH different animal than the Big 12. I don't think this can happen. I do not believe the ACC will add or lose any members for a long time.
The ONLY way it happens is if a team (or teams) rolls the dice on the conference immediately imploding upon their departure or they think eSECpn would be able to successfully force the ACC to renegotiate the deal. So I don't believe this for a second. Sure, the ACC might end up merging or (less likely) collectively dissolving but one or two teams ain't going to take at least a $150 mil gamble in leaving on their own to the SEC now or in the near future.

Advertisement
At this point there should just be a commissioner of NCAAF and take the top 40 and form it’s own league and leave the conference crap to CBB and other non/low revenue sports.

The ONLY way it happens is if a team (or teams) rolls the dice on the conference immediately imploding upon their departure or they think eSECpn would be able to successfully force the ACC to renegotiate the deal. So I don't believe this for a second. Sure, the ACC might end up merging or (less likely) collectively dissolving but one or two teams ain't going to take at least a $150 mil gamble in leaving on their own to the SEC now or in the near future.

Absolutely correct. And essentially what I said a page back. The current deal is 2035. The ACC is not being poached, and they're not adding anyone anytime soon. Nothing is ever completely concrete, of course, but this is not even in the same galaxy as the Big 12 deal. WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYY more things would have to happen than 2 teams just up and leaving like OU and UT did.

Advertisement
At this point there should just be a commissioner of NCAAF and take the top 40 and form it’s own league and leave the conference crap to CBB and other non/low revenue sports.

Dabo hinted at this last week, basically saying that he's under the impression this is the SEC's long plan. Gobble up as many of the other good teams as you can, and have your own college football league. No OOC games, you get like 20 (or however many they think would be good enough) programs, they all play each other, and you have your own playoffs. Utah was good this year? Cool, someone else deal with them. We got our league, we'll just play over here. And we already know the TV revenue would be there, which is what this is all predicated upon.

Dabo hinted at this last week, basically saying that he's under the impression this is the SEC's long plan. Gobble up as many of the other good teams as you can, and have your own college football league. No OOC games, you get like 20 (or however many they think would be good enough) programs, they all play each other, and you have your own playoffs. Utah was good this year? Cool, someone else deal with them. We got our league, we'll just play over here. And we already know the TV revenue would be there, which is what this is all predicated upon.

I don't think you can get away with this with a bunch of teams from the South. They would need to get to 40-50 teams to cover enough regional markets. They need the Northeast and they need the upper Midwest. And the West.

Literally the very first response to the PFF tweet says that the SEC is doubtful that FSU or Clemson bring in enough streaming revenue to make it work.
Bringing Clemson and Florida State (and please God the Canes, too) to the SEC serves a dual purpose that an assistant program director in the greater Greenville-Spartanburg radio market may not fully grasp — verified Twitter account or otherwise.

SEC plus Clemson/FSU/UM = another major boost and even bigger share of the College Football universe. This is very good for the SEC/ESPN.

ACC minus Clemson/FSU/UM = immediate collapse of the conference with the better brands life-boating it to the Big Ten and the rest headed to a second-tier type league (or worse). This is much, much better than very good for SEC/ESPN.

Whatever it costs ESPN to cut bait with the ACC, the sad-sack ACC Network and those deadbeat programs like Wake, BC, Pitt, etc. that bring little to the table will be financially beneficial in the long run.

This would be a consolidation that makes absolute business sense.

Be shocked if it doesn't happen in the next couple years and, again, let's hope like **** we're a part of it.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I agree with most of what you said and am personally a fan of both LA schools (as universities) but you're glossing over two very large issues with UCLA. They're always going to be USC's baby brother in football in that market and their administration makes Miami look like Baga when it comes to an overall financial commitment to football. Their overall brand is strong but only in hoops so sans the shared big market we're basically talking a poor man's version of the current iteration of UNC.

And I agree with what you wrote!

But I would say UCLA is, or would easily be upon switching conferences the close 2nd banana in the STATE, not just the market. And CA is 15% of the US economy on its own, has over 40M people, and UCLA has 45,000 students, which means a TON of alumni, most of who stay in state. Being 2nd banana to USC in a state that has the same amount of people as the entire SEC ex-Georgia (but including Florida!) is no small potatoes, let alone in a CITY that has two NFL teams. The moment UCLA walks in the door they are suddenly better funded than anyone west of Texas outside of USC (tie) so the past financial commitment to football problem goes away. Sleeping giant.

Bringing Clemson and Florida State (and please God the Canes, too) to the SEC serves a dual purpose that an assistant program director in the greater Greenville-Spartanburg radio market may not fully grasp — verified Twitter account or otherwise.

SEC plus Clemson/FSU/UM = another major boost and even bigger share of the College Football universe. This is very good for the SEC/ESPN.

ACC minus Clemson/FSU/UM = immediate collapse of the conference with the better brands life-boating it to the Big Ten and the rest headed to a second-tier type league (or worse). This is much, much better than very good for SEC/ESPN.

Whatever it costs ESPN to cut bait with the ACC, the sad-sack ACC Network and those deadbeat programs like Wake, BC, Pitt, etc. that bring little to the table will be financially beneficial in the long run.

This would be a consolidation that makes absolute business sense.

Be shocked if it doesn't happen in the next couple years and, again, let's hope like **** we're a part of it.
They can't make it a regional sport. Dumb and untrue.

But if they allow FSU, Clemson and Miami, you'll be doing the S-E-C chant from your recliner :)
curb your enthusiasm GIF by HBO

Advertisement
Back