REALIGNMENT MEGGGGAAAA THREAAAD

Research and scientific $$$$$$

My guess is B1G gets over that status for new members very quickly.

But that’s an association of universities. Belonging doesn’t mean you get guaranteed research grants. They just come up with that number based on what member universities collect in terms of research grants, etc. I guess I just don’t get it. It almost seems like a loose association of universities with a vanity moniker. I’m sure it must be more than that, not that I’ve done any heavy research here, just looked at their website a second ago so TFWIW, but a cursory inspection leaves me with just questions and no answers.

But back to your original premise, I’m sure a school that wanted to join that conference would be granted eventual membership to the AAU, if not immediate or provisional membership.

Advertisement
But that’s an association of universities. Belonging doesn’t mean you get guaranteed research grants. They just come up with that number based on what member universities collect in terms of research grants, etc. I guess I just don’t get it. It almost seems like a loose association of universities with a vanity moniker. I’m sure it must be more than that, not that Ive done any heavy research here, just looked at their website a second ago so TFWIW, but a cursory inspection leaves me with just questions and no answers.

But back to your original premise, I’m sure a school that wanted to join that conference would be granted eventual membership to the AAU.
Belonging is a HUGE part to (several agencies) in order to be competitive to receive the grant.

HUGE.

An actually they wouldn't be granted just because of B1G membership. AAU (amongst academic betas) is a stringent requirement. The school has to have a large and well-established research component across a number of disciplines, blah, blah, blah, blah.

I'm a touch surprised Miami isn't a member, but neither is Wake Forest.

Why would Clemson leave? The have the ACC by the nuts right now. They have all the leverage and an easy path to the playoff every year. They use the opening weekend as a big test, ala UGA this year. Why would they jeopardize that success?
The ACC is one "key" departure from collapsing into a shell of itself.

The SEC is the safest of safe bets to be thriving 10, 20, 30 years from now.

It's a no-brainer for all of the football-minded ACC schools from any of the Southern states to pursue that invite.

Advertisement
Says the Federal Government review panels who dole out the $$$$$$$.

They use the AAUs standards as part of the vetting process.
Lots of other schools get that same money without being members. If the vetting process is meeting the standards, which all vetting processes are, then what’s the difference?

Lots of other schools get that same money without being members. If the vetting process is meeting the standards, which all vetting processes are, then what’s the difference?
Great observation. Yes there are certainly other institutions who get funding. AAU has (continues to try) to brand/position themselves as the platinum association of research/scientific schools (their members are a who's who). Their "thing" is making it that much "easier" for selection committees to say yes because, well, "they are AAU and of course thier standards are very high and better than..."

I believe you are familiar with healrhcare industry. A facility technically doesn't need accreditation by AAAHC or TJC, but no serious institution goes without, amd between the two, TJC is far and away the most sought after designation.

Don't get me wrong, it is a racket, but it exists and is a real issue.

Advertisement

SEC going full on hillbilly kung fu

rIEsIDt1Xs4De.gif

Why would SEC schools like South Carolina, Ole Miss, Mississippi State, Arkansas, Kentucky, Missouri, and of course Texas A&M sign off on this?

The SEC wouldn't have to do anything, and still rake in the $$$$. Now if you add Texas and OU, the above schools chances of ever winning anything goes from 10-11 % to .0000001%.

Why would we be in trouble? If Miami wanted in to the SEC, there would be a spot for us.
No. I don't think the SEC is saving a spot for Miami. If the ACC becomes a no show for the National Title on a regular basis, you can expect Miami to be treading water.

Advertisement
20 to 40 million in extra revenue is why those teams are ok with it. Locally in Jackson they are talking about how this will be put into their facilities. Not to compete with the upper echelon teams but to out recruit a level lower.

Advertisement
Read an interesting perspective on B1G universities. They are all Association of American Universities (AAU) members* and highly desire any new adds to be the same. That eliminates several ACC**/Big12/PAC12/SEC partners, including OU, but not UT.

Why a big deal? Mountain out of molehill? Perhaps.

For context, AAU status brought in $10B to B1G schools while their football teams rang up $800MM.

If push comes to shove, who are they going to pick? With that said, it is a false choice because there is no reason a B1G school must have AAU status (cough.. cough.. Cornhuskers) other than an academic-centric snobbish view of those members institutions that don't.

*minus Nebraska who lost it in 2011-ish (I think)
**Miami is not AAU
A decade or so ago, Miami seemed to be trying to position itself academically as the "Harvard of the South." A lot of talk about how UM had made such tremendous strides. The various magazine "ratings" (like US News & World Report, Forbes, etc) of UM seemed to validate the upward trend. The Sun Tan U image of the past seemed like eons ago. The cost of attending UM skyrocketed and the school seemed poised to join the academic elite of national universities.

In the last decade, what happened? No AAU. Ratings dropping (or, at best, stalled) -- losing ground academically in relation to other schools? Still seemingly cash poor (at least, acting that way). Maybe I'm all wrong here but ... that's my perception (i.e., that the "talk" is one thing but pulling off attaining very lofty academic goals for the university is quite another).

School needs to settle on what its' identity is, what it realistically can be in the future, and what level of athletics programs are supportable. Without state funding, it's rougher sledding than ever for a smallish, private university these days to compete with the big dogs.

ACC/ PAC 12 self preservation plan.........Here you go:

Two Divisions EAST/WEST (ACC/PAC 12)

EAST Division consists of the entire ACC (ACC kicks out 2 teams or expands to 14 games)
West Division consists of the entire PAC 12 (PAC 12 adds 2 teams or stays the same)

The East Division plays all other East Division teams and their is a Division Champ
The West Division plays all other West Division teams and their is a Division Champ

East Division and West Division Champs face each other on a neutral field at the end of the year to name a Conference Champion

Advertisement
Back