REALIGNMENT MEGGGGAAAA THREAAAD

I'd make a run at the Toronto Argonauts. Think outside the box for once.

A REAL league would just get Notre Dame and Pedo State and we wouldn't be here talking about WVU and their academic rating rivaling a failing inner city high school and non-existent tv market and useless recruiting grounds or having to discuss the merits of Cincinnati. I want NOTHING to do with a city that embraces the slop that is Skyline Chili.

Advertisement

A REAL league would just get Notre Dame and Pedo State and we wouldn't be here talking about WVU and their academic rating rivaling a failing inner city high school and non-existent tv market and useless recruiting grounds or having to discuss the merits of Cincinnati. I want NOTHING to do with a city that embraces the slop that is Skyline Chili.
Well, Miami did once have a pipeline to Canadian HS football.

Ok, then how do you get the eyeballs? One way or another there’s no new territory adding a mid-state Florida school as opposed to a large market Texas school.
There isn't with anyone outside of ND. That’s why I don’t think anyone else has real value (and why I think UM has sneaky upside to another conference).

Advertisement
Best case scenario, Texas and Oklahoma stay put or are not admitted. If they do leave, Notre dame at some point is going to have their hand forced and have to join a conference. If SEC and Big 10 expand to 16 teams each and the PAC unites with the Big 12, ND is going to have a tough time filling a schedule.
This is all about $., we all know that. Keep in mind the SEC and ND promoted the 12 game playoff so that the SEC would get at least 4 teams in and ND would most always get an at large spot, assuming adequate strength of schedule . (SEC will prob realign in 4 divisions, probably T, OK, A&M and Missouri in one , LSU MS schools and Ark in one, Ky, Tn, V,& Al in one and SC, Fl, G and Au in the 4th. Each of those division winners will go to playoffs and maybe a couple more will go as well. Won't need a conference champ at all.) Where ND better be careful is if the other surviving conferences decide not to have conference playoffs and concentrate on expanding their in conference schedules. And why would any conference or school be willing to prop up an independent ND at their own possible expense. ND will be left playing the armed forces and other non factor schools. That is the best argument to get them to join a conference as the times are a changing and the NBC $ will not be so prominent going forward, given ESPN is a huge player in this game of musical chairs and will protect its conference interests (not ND's) above that of NBC.

If Texas and Oklahoma do move to the SEC, it could be the end of the ACC as a major conference ($$$ wise) even if ND were to sign on as a full conference member. The ACC has been paying out $10 million per school less than the SEC and $20 million less per school less than the Big 10 even with the ACC Network being added.

Do you really think the addition of ND alone with a WVU, Cincy, or Houston to get to 16 members would position the ACC to get the same TV dollars as the SEC with Texas and Oklahoma as well as the Big 10 with perhaps the addition of Kansas basketball and Iowa State or Oklahoma State?

My fear is ND would tell the ACC to ***** off and join the Big 10 for the big bucks. I know there is a first rights agreement with ND should they decide to join a conference with the ACC, but if ND wants into the Big 10 everything is negotiable. The only conference realignment that I can remember that fell through was Texas, Oklahoma, etc. to the PAC 12. Other than that, anyone who wanted to go elsewhere has been able to do it.

If I were the ACC commissioner, I'd get an estimate as to what TV package would be available if the ACC were to add ND, Texas, and Oklahoma. I would think it would definitely get the ACC into the tier of the SEC and Big 10. Then, bring it to ND, Texas, and Oklahoma and see if something could be worked out. A football conference with Clemson, ND, Texas, Oklahoma, FSU, and Miami would have the brand recognition to go up against the brand recognition that the Big 10 and SEC currently possess. You'd be looking at a 18 team conference with a WVU or Houston added as filler. Gotta think big people as Texas and Oklahoma have made it known they are free agents now.

If Texas and Oklahoma do move to the SEC, it could be the end of the ACC as a major conference ($$$ wise) even if ND were to sign on as a full conference member. The ACC has been paying out $10 million per school less than the SEC and $20 million less per school less than the Big 10 even with the ACC Network being added.

Do you really think the addition of ND alone with a WVU, Cincy, or Houston to get to 16 members would position the ACC to get the same TV dollars as the SEC with Texas and Oklahoma as well as the Big 10 with perhaps the addition of Kansas basketball and Iowa State or Oklahoma State?

My fear is ND would tell the ACC to ***** off and join the Big 10 for the big bucks. I know there is a first rights agreement with ND should they decide to join a conference with the ACC, but if ND wants into the Big 10 everything is negotiable. The only conference realignment that I can remember that fell through was Texas, Oklahoma, etc. to the PAC 12. Other than that, anyone who wanted to go elsewhere has been able to do it.

If I were the ACC commissioner, I'd get an estimate as to what TV package would be available if the ACC were to add ND, Texas, and Oklahoma. I would think it would definitely get the ACC into the tier of the SEC and Big 10. Then, bring it to ND, Texas, and Oklahoma and see if something could be worked out. A football conference with Clemson, ND, Texas, Oklahoma, FSU, and Miami would have the brand recognition to go up against the brand recognition that the Big 10 and SEC currently possess. You'd be looking at a 18 team conference with a WVU or Houston added as filler. Gotta think big people as Texas and Oklahoma have made it known they are free agents now.
Texas and OU are SEC-bound. Almost a done deal.

In my fantasy CFB realignment, the ACC convinces ND to join for football and poaches Penn State from the BIG10.

Advertisement
Like I said, it may sound farfetched.

But these conference decisions aren't ONLY about sports. They're about revenue.

And the athletic directors aren't making these decisions..it's the school president.

So you tell me the ACC commissioner comes to the UGA president and says,

"you can make the same amount of revenue from sports, the same football prestige by joining with ND, but elevate your academic standing by aligning with academic elites like Duke, UNC, GT, Pitt, ND, BC, UVA and and therefore your endowment funding would substantially increase.

And you'd have an easier path to the playoffs."

The president of the school would at least listen and then decide if that's a path he'd want to go down and it'd be up to him to decide if wants to convince the rest of the school. But remember these presidents care more than just about sports. There is no doubt the ACC is a far superior academic conference and some schools don't like to be related to the "dumb dumbs" of the SEC. I think UGA has really put a significant investment into their academics over the past 2 decades and a jump to the ACC for academic reasons could be enticing, as long as they didn't lose any credibility or funding when it comes to football.
If you leave the SEC, you risk the fans revolting against you. idk why, but there is a level pride people have by saying “we play in the SEC” and I don’t think any President or AD is gonna mess with it.

Advertisement
PAC 12 Teams are too far away to travel for teams on the East Coast. I think ND, Cincy, WVU, and Rutgers. Then make an ACC North and South. Miami did fine with playing in the Big East and most of the old gang would be back together this way.

Skyline chili is the worst tasting shlt I have ever had. Some people swear by it, I just don’t get it. Looks like diarrhea, taste like what I imagine diarrhea would taste like

Advertisement

Clemson has won multiple national titles and plays for the playoffs every year despite getting $10mm less per year in revenue. News flash, we don't pay players directly. That money goes towards coaching facilities and other sports. You can still make a ton of money through ticket sales and alumni gifts and everything else, and the money doesn't have to be exactly even to compete. In fact, Miami doesn't need a huge recruiting budget because their players are within 20 minutes away.

Houston adds value.

Otherwise I'd just stick with 15 teams or go after a big SEC or BIG10 school like UGA or PSU.

I know it sounds farfetched, but UGA coming to the ACC could easily be sold as a win win for them and us.

It would secure the Atlanta market for the ACC and end up giving them close to as much revenue as they're getting now just because the ACC city populations. Also would get GT and UGA in the same conference and let UGA have an easier path to the playoffs as well as letting them play Clemson yearly as well.
They could still play UF annually as their non-conference opponent and would help them get even further into Florida recruiting playing against Miami and/or FSU annually. UGA also has high academic rankings and aspirations and has continued to grow and improve academically. That aligns well with the ACC but not the SEC.

If the ACC added UGA and ND that would match us with the SEC instantly.

We'd have football powers:

ND
UGA
Clemson
Miami
FSU

Vs
Bama
Florida
OU
Auburn
Texas
LSU
😂🤣😂🤣. The only league that can pry thUGA from the SEC, is probably the NFL, and that ain’t happening, Capt. In many ways, thUGA IS the SEC. You’d probably have an easier shot at getting Bama to leave 🤣😂🤣. But seriously, Bama, UGA, Auburn, LSU, UK, Ole ****, Miss State, nor UF will EVER walk away from the SEC.

Houston has more fans than you think. I live there. They have a presence, strong financial backing from Tillman Fertitta, and has been competitive even without P5 designation. I would not dismiss them.
It's a decent program, but the big 12 has been on life support for years, they only have 10 teams and you need 12 teams for a conference championship game. If they were two decent schools available, they would have taken them by now. Houston can't go to bid despite begging for one

Other than adding ND, the best hope for the ACC is for Miami and FSU to return to national prominence, or something close to it. Somehow.

Of course 100 percent agree about Miami, as far as FSU,

E6EDD568-DE79-41E3-B760-4323AF6FC880.gif

Advertisement
Back