REALIGNMENT MEGGGGAAAA THREAAAD

LOL at those that continue bringing up academics as that’s some house of cards. No one cares about the academic prowess of an institution. ESPN, Fox Sports, NBC Sports etc. This is about money, i.e. viewershipmarkets, gate receipts and ultimate power.

For the ACC to survive competitively they must convince ND that it’s in their best interest to unite. Add Pedo St who has never been accepted in the Big10 and now you’re in business.

A consolation prize is add any of the following two:
WVU, Maryland, Cincy, Houston, Okie St and UCF. Obviously a major step down…

Advertisement
I set up 4 regions by geographics, but you could still use conference names.

W (Pac 16)M (Big 16)S (SEC)E (ACC)
WASUTAHNEBMICHLSUGEONDPSU
ORECOLMINNWISKENTENRUTBC
WSUASUIOWANORLOUGATUMDSYR
ORSARZISUMSUMIZVANUVAPITT
USCTEXOKLOSUALAMIACLEMUNC
UCLATAMOKSPURAUBFSUVTDUKE
STANTXTKANILLMSTFLAWVAWF
CALTCUKSUINDMISSARKSCUNCS

Every radio talk show I hear, the callers and hosts discount any SEC interest in Miami. Clearly, they universally still think more of FSU's program and, for that matter, prefer UCF these days. Indicator of how far we've fallen.

Advertisement
Every radio talk show I hear, the callers and hosts discount any SEC interest in Miami. Clearly, they universally still think more of FSU's program and, for that matter, prefer UCF these days. Indicator of how far we've fallen.
One reason is that one of their big selling points in recruiting is "you get to play big boy ball in the SEC". If Miami is in the SEC, S.florida kids won't have to leave home to do that, and other SEC teams will lose some of their clout, and they don't want that.

Still don't know why people think ND will join the ACC. It ain't happening. As long as they have a path to the playoff there's no reason to join any conference.

There's no great options for the ACC to expand. If they decided too expand, they need to just go all in and expand to 20. No team from the B1G or SEC would leave, so forget that. Start with WVU, Cincy, USF and UCF. Then raid the Big 12 for Houston and Texas Tech.

One thing is certain. One of either the PAC 12, Big 12 or ACC will not survive this next realignment. ACC is in good shape unless the SEC decides to go all in and scoop up Clemson, FSU, Miami and Louisville.

You’re actually taking it seriously what these radio mouth breathers say?

Trailerhassee more closely resembles your typical SEC college town than the city of Miami.

That may be why Miami is written off.

Advertisement
One reason is that one of their big selling points in recruiting is "you get to play big boy ball in the SEC". If Miami is in the SEC, S.florida kids won't have to leave home to do that, and other SEC teams will lose some of their clout, and they don't want that.
I've said this multiple times, they don't want Miami recruiting against them with an SEC logo on their uniforms. The rise of the SEC coincided with the fall of Miami and Bama, LSU, UGA etc raiding SoFla for blue chip recruits. It's against the SEC's competitive interest to invite Miami.

Plus those whiney ******* in Gainesville would fight it tooth and nail.

Houston has already shown with the right coach that can compete. They've beaten FSU and beat Oklahoma and had their coaches not been poached by the bigger schools in better conferences they would've had more staying power.

Houston in a big conference would be a dangerous school for everyone they played.
And they have a hoops squadron

Like I said, it may sound farfetched.

But these conference decisions aren't ONLY about sports. They're about revenue.

And the athletic directors aren't making these decisions..it's the school president.

So you tell me the ACC commissioner comes to the UGA president and says,

"you can make the same amount of revenue from sports, the same football prestige by joining with ND, but elevate your academic standing by aligning with academic elites like Duke, UNC, GT, Pitt, ND, BC, UVA and and therefore your endowment funding would substantially increase.

And you'd have an easier path to the playoffs."

The president of the school would at least listen and then decide if that's a path he'd want to go down and it'd be up to him to decide if wants to convince the rest of the school. But remember these presidents care more than just about sports. There is no doubt the ACC is a far superior academic conference and some schools don't like to be related to the "dumb dumbs" of the SEC. I think UGA has really put a significant investment into their academics over the past 2 decades and a jump to the ACC for academic reasons could be enticing, as long as they didn't lose any credibility or funding when it comes to football.
I'm not questioning the reasoning of what you wrote... My gif just centers around thinking UGA would leave the SEC for a different conference.... The SEC schools right now make more money than any other conference, with the additions of OU and Texas that revenue will go up even further... UGA will go nowhere....

Advertisement
Not really. Lexington is a blue city as most college cities tend to be. Just outside Lexington it gets extremely conservative again.

Source: have close family that has lived in Lexington for almost 20 years.
That's my bad I should have been more specific. I'm speaking mostly on the ppl around the programs. Next time u see a UK basketball home game look up in the stands. They fit the SEC.

I live in Louisville, ex stays in Lexington.

What if UM's football schedule looked like something this every season?

• Non-conference
  • Non-conference
  • Non-conference
  • Kentucky
  • Florida
  • Tennessee
  • Georgia
  • Ole Miss
  • Florida State
  • Auburn
  • Vanderbilt
  • Oklahoma

Advertisement
Still don't know why people think ND will join the ACC. It ain't happening. As long as they have a path to the playoff there's no reason to join any conference.

There's no great options for the ACC to expand. If they decided too expand, they need to just go all in and expand to 20. No team from the B1G or SEC would leave, so forget that. Start with WVU, Cincy, USF and UCF. Then raid the Big 12 for Houston and Texas Tech.

One thing is certain. One of either the PAC 12, Big 12 or ACC will not survive this next realignment. ACC is in good shape unless the SEC decides to go all in and scoop up Clemson, FSU, Miami and Louisville.

If UT and OK leave the Big12, it's finished. ACC, Pac12, Big10 will take some of the leftovers to get to 16 to mirror the SEC (unless they go bigger then everyone else follows suit).

With the 12 team playoff, I don't see the incentive for ND to join a conference unless the conferences start playing 9-10 conference games leaving ND struggling to fill a legitimate schedule. The goal for most teams is to get to 10-2, 9-3 and hope to sneak in the playoff. Why bother scheduling a difficult OOC game when you'll theoretically have a good schedule already?

I keep going back and forth as to what the ACC should do if they can't get ND. WVU and Ok State makes sense as they wont have a home and they are respectable P5 teams. If we go to 20, pick up Houston and Cincy as they'll be competitive in the ACC and get you into new markets. Hard no on USF & UCF. They bring no value from a football or market perspective.

LOL at those that continue bringing up academics as that’s some house of cards. No one cares about the academic prowess of an institution. ESPN, Fox Sports, NBC Sports etc. This is about money, i.e. viewershipmarkets, gate receipts and ultimate power.

For the ACC to survive competitively they must convince ND that it’s in their best interest to unite. Add Pedo St who has never been accepted in the Big10 and now you’re in business.

A consolation prize is add any of the following two:
WVU, Maryland, Cincy, Houston, Okie St and UCF. Obviously a major step down…

Looking at the Texas schools:

SMU: $1.5B
Baylor: $1.4B
TCU: $1.2B
Houston: $960m

The one to really look at regarding this stuff is the SEC oddball,...Vanderbuilt.
Theirs is $6.3B aside from being ranked 14th or so in the nation and being in the SEC.

Look,...the time has come to see education and conference affiliation in completely separate terms in regards to possibly competing @ the highest level year in, year out. It's pretty much a business now.

If you want better-educated student athletes, being in the SEC obviously hasnt hampered Vanderbuilt much thus far, and certainly will not in the future.

No big 10 team is leaving for the ACC, and I’d be shocked if any of them left for the SEC. the Big 10 has a ton of conference pride and the cultures are way different. Money talks though so anything is possible I guess.

their is an article in the athletic today about WVU joining the ACC and why it makes the most sense. Article gave the impression its ND and WV or bust.
I saw that, too.

I also saw some speculation in an article on the national 247 page that the Big 12 is making a last ditch effort to keep OU & Texas by revising the distribution of $$. Each of them would received 1.5 shares and some of the others would get less. This could offset the additional $20 million estimated they would get by moving to SEC.

According to ESPN writer Heather Dinich, Notre Dame Athletic director Jack Swarbrick has said he cherishes that football autonomy enough to sacrifice a first-round bye in an expanded Playoff to maintain it. "They are happy with their position but they're also cognizant that the landscape is changing. "

Advertisement
Back