REALIGNMENT MEGGGGAAAA THREAAAD

Call it the "vomit" conference. Who the **** on any national or even SE regional level wants to watch FIU, FAU USF and even UCF. Talk about watering down and destroying a conference.
No one does. Google Billy McFarland/Fyre Festival and you’ll see it was sarcasm.

Advertisement
Don't forget about the other sports.

The SEC may be able to just do what they want in football but they need thriving conferences for their other sports to do well. Baseball and basketball specifically.
The SEC has been getting better in basketball recently. Auburn, Arkansas, LSU are all up and coming programs. We'll see if the ACC can continue it with the older coach legends retiring sooner rather than later in K, Roy Williams, Boheim, Larranaga. We'll see if they can keep up.

West Virginia makes the most sense.

I still think the ACC would be better off merging with the B1G or Pac 12. Cut out the weak links in both leagues so you can compete with the SEC.

No way to WVU. We don't need toothless hillbillies in the acc. Houston is the fifth largest TV market in the country. If academics aren't a concern (which is clearly the case if considering wvu) then go with the one that will bring more TV money.

Lol nah UK is exactly where they belong. They're not even 100 miles from Louisville but they are vastly different cultures.

Not really. Lexington is a blue city as most college cities tend to be. Just outside Lexington it gets extremely conservative again.

Source: have close family that has lived in Lexington for almost 20 years.

Advertisement
Season 2 Nbc GIF by The Office
Like I said, it may sound farfetched.

But these conference decisions aren't ONLY about sports. They're about revenue.

And the athletic directors aren't making these decisions..it's the school president.

So you tell me the ACC commissioner comes to the UGA president and says,

"you can make the same amount of revenue from sports, the same football prestige by joining with ND, but elevate your academic standing by aligning with academic elites like Duke, UNC, GT, Pitt, ND, BC, UVA and and therefore your endowment funding would substantially increase.

And you'd have an easier path to the playoffs."

The president of the school would at least listen and then decide if that's a path he'd want to go down and it'd be up to him to decide if wants to convince the rest of the school. But remember these presidents care more than just about sports. There is no doubt the ACC is a far superior academic conference and some schools don't like to be related to the "dumb dumbs" of the SEC. I think UGA has really put a significant investment into their academics over the past 2 decades and a jump to the ACC for academic reasons could be enticing, as long as they didn't lose any credibility or funding when it comes to football.

There are few scenarios that change the calculus for the ACC. Best outcome would be to convince ND and Penn State to join. That would be a game changer but difficult to pull off.

For debate: Is adding Cincinnati, Baylor, Houston, Oklahoma State to get to 18 bold and valuable enough to preserve the ACC?

There are few scenarios that change the calculus for the ACC. Best outcome would be to convince ND and Penn State to join. That would be a game changer but difficult to pull off.

For debate: Is adding Cincinnati, Baylor, Houston, Oklahoma State to get to 18 bold and valuable enough to preserve the ACC?
Why would you possibly want 18?

Advertisement
Houston is a smart choice. I didn’t think of them at first.

I would target two Texas schools, Baylor and Houston, to add along with ND. Baylor isn't quite the TV market as the other two, but you could set up a nice Houston / Baylor rivalry and help the acc get more recruiting exposure. I don't think UCF would be welcome because they are terrible in academics and I don't think you want three ACC schools in Florida.

I wonder what everyone thinks about Vanderbilt. Terrible at football but certainly the academic profile that the acc wants.

Advertisement
Houston doesn't have a lot of fans. That's a pro sports town, and the alums of Texas and A&m are much more into their school and their sports than alums of Houston, which is more of a commuter school. Just doesn't move the needle.

The Hurricanes didn't have a massive fanbase in Miami either before Schnelly. Miami was a Dolphins town until the Canes started winning. Most Miami fans didn't attend UM. If Houston makes noise, casual football fans in Houston will start tuning in to watch UH.

Advertisement
There really is no correlation between endowments and athletic revenue
Agreed.

There is a correlation between academic standing/prestige and endowment.

Endowment means more money for the entire school. Presidents care about the whole school. Conference money is small compared to endowment money for the school. If changing conferences raises the ceiling on their potential endowment money by increasing their academic standings and prestige, then it's a win, as long as it doesn't cost them athletically.

Houston doesn't have a lot of fans. That's a pro sports town, and the alums of Texas and A&m are much more into their school and their sports than alums of Houston, which is more of a commuter school. Just doesn't move the needle.
Houston has more fans than you think. I live there. They have a presence, strong financial backing from Tillman Fertitta, and has been competitive even without P5 designation. I would not dismiss them.

Agreed.

There is a correlation between academic standing/prestige and endowment.

Endowment means more money for the entire school. Presidents care about the whole school. Conference money is small compared to endowment money for the school. If changing conferences raises the ceiling on their potential endowment money by increasing their academic standings and prestige, then it's a win, as long as it doesn't cost them athletically.

Agreed. It’s a given on the first bolded statement.

With respect to the second bolded statement, I honestly have to say that the premise, imho, is highly dubious. I appreciate the serious discussion, and your thinking it through, I just don’t see how you get from A to B.

Advertisement
Back