REALIGNMENT MEGGGGAAAA THREAAAD

I would target two Texas schools, Baylor and Houston, to add along with ND. Baylor isn't quite the TV market as the other two, but you could set up a nice Houston / Baylor rivalry and help the acc get more recruiting exposure. I don't think UCF would be welcome because they are terrible in academics and I don't think you want three ACC schools in Florida.

I wonder what everyone thinks about Vanderbilt. Terrible at football but certainly the academic profile that the acc wants.
And strong in some of the Olympic sports the ACC favors; ie baseball.

Advertisement
LOL at those that continue bringing up academics as that’s some house of cards. No one cares about the academic prowess of an institution. ESPN, Fox Sports, NBC Sports etc. This is about money, i.e. viewershipmarkets, gate receipts and ultimate power.

For the ACC to survive competitively they must convince ND that it’s in their best interest to unite. Add Pedo St who has never been accepted in the Big10 and now you’re in business.

A consolation prize is add any of the following two:
WVU, Maryland, Cincy, Houston, Okie St and UCF. Obviously a major step down…
UCF or USF is not happening. The only g5 teams would be Houston or Cincinnati. I’d take cincy over Houston.

I would target two Texas schools, Baylor and Houston, to add along with ND. Baylor isn't quite the TV market as the other two, but you could set up a nice Houston / Baylor rivalry and help the acc get more recruiting exposure. I don't think UCF would be welcome because they are terrible in academics and I don't think you want three ACC schools in Florida.

I wonder what everyone thinks about Vanderbilt. Terrible at football but certainly the academic profile that the acc wants.
I would not want UCF or USF in the ACC but why would having three schools from Florida be an issue? There are four in North Carolina, plus Clemson nearby in South Carolina. That stated, I don’t think USF or UCF add any value.

So the big whale out there for us is Notre Dame. Give a national program with few equals in national exposure and following. So who is team 2 to get us to 16. What about adding Navy from the AAC. It’s a natural rival for ND and with help them play the 3 main teams they play every year. The other 2 being Stanford and USC. Thoughts. They are not a national powerhouse, but would it help get ND on board?
Service Academies are likely totally off the table.

This was brought up before and the answer was a hard no for several reasons football/taxpayer funds perspective.

Times change obviously, but I suspect there is no appetite within DoD (thats who makes the call, not Service Department).

Advertisement
So the big whale out there for us is Notre Dame. Give a national program with few equals in national exposure and following. So who is team 2 to get us to 16. What about adding Navy from the AAC. It’s a natural rival for ND and with help them play the 3 main teams they play every year. The other 2 being Stanford and USC. Thoughts. They are not a national powerhouse, but would it help get ND on board?
ACC needs a national 20-team strategy, to include rebranding the Conference name.

Staying regional, for the long term, is not in the best the best interest of the member programs.

Another issue at hand:

- Vanderbilt, Duke, Wake Forest, etc need to take a hard look on super conference membership. Wild guess here, but I suspect BoTs at each school aren't crazy about the idea (for football anyway).

I would not want UCF or USF in the ACC but why would having three schools from Florida be an issue? There are four in North Carolina, plus Clemson nearby in South Carolina. That stated, I don’t think USF or UCF add any value.
Another P5 school in Florida would dilute recruiting in the state. UM & FSU cant stop another P5 conference from taking them, but they're not going to hold the ACC door open..

Have ACC amd Pac-12 merge. Grab 4 additions to make 6 divisions of 5 and can separate 3 divisions "American" and "National"...

work out the Champ Game details.... Champ + xx other members get slots to expanded CFBPOs

Get serious about Asian market contracts

Crush SEC long term.

FFS, why am I not a major conference commish!!??

Advertisement
Yes and those teams would be Arkansas, Missouri, and Vandy. Probably no one beyond that would even be asked to leave.
Vandy stays due to their academics and they're a member of the AAU. If you were to jettison 2 schools base on athletics, academics, and (most importantly) TV viewership, I would guess Mississippi St and South Carolina.

Have ACC amd Pac-12 merge. Grab 4 additions to make 6 divisions of 5 and can separate 3 divisions "American" and "National"...

work out the Champ Game details.... Champ + xx other members get slots to expanded CFBPOs

Get serious about Asian market contracts

Crush SEC long term.

FFS, why am I not a major conference commish!!??
Are you forgetting Latin American markets?

I think a big reason the 3 schools are in the same conference is a natural rivalry for the schools in the Research Triangle.

Clemson always seems more like a SEC
school to me but they all go back to the original ACC when generally all the members were within driving distance of each other. Even South Carolina was an OG member.

I would have liked for Miami to play an OOC with UCF and/or USF every few years instead of with another G5 like Central Michigan or App State.

I honestly don't know if UCF has much of a following in Orlando. If they do, then I might be open to including them since that is a big tv market. Agree with others though who think FSU and UM would veto them joining.

Advertisement
I think a big reason the 3 schools are in the same conference is a natural rivalry for the schools in the Research Triangle.

school to me but they all go back to the original ACC when generally all the members were within driving distance of each other. Even South Carolina was an OG member.

I would have liked for Miami to play an OOC with UCF and/or USF every few years instead of with another G5 like Central Michigan or App State.

I honestly don't know if UCF has much of a following in Orlando. If they do, then I might be open to including them since that is a big tv market. Agree with others though who think FSU and UM would veto them joining.
IMO UCF brings nothing to the table. FSU and to a lesser extent Miami give you the Orlando market, a Texas school on the other hand opens things up a bit.

I saw that, too.

I also saw some speculation in an article on the national 247 page that the Big 12 is making a last ditch effort to keep OU & Texas by revising the distribution of $$. Each of them would received 1.5 shares and some of the others would get less. This could offset the additional $20 million estimated they would get by moving to SEC.

According to ESPN writer Heather Dinich, Notre Dame Athletic director Jack Swarbrick has said he cherishes that football autonomy enough to sacrifice a first-round bye in an expanded Playoff to maintain it. "They are happy with their position but they're also cognizant that the landscape is changing. "
Best case scenario, Texas and Oklahoma stay put or are not admitted. If they do leave, Notre dame at some point is going to have their hand forced and have to join a conference. If SEC and Big 10 expand to 16 teams each and the PAC unites with the Big 12, ND is going to have a tough time filling a schedule.

Advertisement
Notre Dame is the key. They have the ACC by the nuts right now. Hopefully we can bring them on and someone like a Penn State but I doubt that happens. If we end up with Cincinnati and WVU or Maryland we’re ****ed

The Hurricanes didn't have a massive fanbase in Miami either before Schnelly. Miami was a Dolphins town until the Canes started winning. Most Miami fans didn't attend UM. If Houston makes noise, casual football fans in Houston will start tuning in to watch UH.
Houston natives love UH. They have fans. There is just nothing to cheer for football wise. We were going NUTS during our final four run

Last edited:
Y’all keep talking in terms of TV markets. That’s not going to matter anywhere near as much for the next round of contracts and virtually nothing in the future. Cable is dying, it’s the overall eyeballs and subs that matter, and that isn’t tied to a TV market.
Ok, then how do you get the eyeballs? One way or another there’s no new territory adding a mid-state Florida school as opposed to a large market Texas school.

I agree, adding UCF to the ACC only benefits UCF.

Scheduling them OOC does nothing for Miami. Zero. A win over UCF, USF, FAU, or FIU is meaningless. Miami should beat them, decisively. A loss, like Shannon’s to USF and Manny’s to FIU is a stain you can’t remove. Scheduling them is nothing more than saving travel costs.

The same with most G5 teams, to be honest. If the Canes need a warmup, keep an annual game with FAMU or Bethune-Cookman. No way to lose, and the coaches can get everyone some PT. If G5 teams are needed to fill a slot, then it needs to be a home game. No games at Toledo or App State. At least the series with USF is two home games at Miami to one in Tampa.

The Canes did well scheduling TAMU, Florida, Auburn, South Carolina, and Michigan State. Hopefully the future games with Temple, Ball State, and Miami OH are holdovers, and just too expensive to cancel to find a better opponent.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back