REALIGNMENT MEGGGGAAAA THREAAAD

Advertisement
Besides ND what team really adds value to ACC?
Unless we're talking something like a PAC-12 alliance/poach which presents issues with scheduling and travel, likley Houston due to its media market. Remember, this is all driven by media rights contracts, which correlate to $M/school payouts.

WVU doesn't move that needle nearly as much as Houston. ND is a no-brainer but if they're able to survive with their own exclusive media rights deal with NBC, they may not be willing to forgo independence.

No big 10 team is leaving for the ACC, and I’d be shocked if any of them left for the SEC. the Big 10 has a ton of conference pride and the cultures are way different. Money talks though so anything is possible I guess.

their is an article in the athletic today about WVU joining the ACC and why it makes the most sense. Article gave the impression its ND and WV or bust.

Advertisement
It was. The Big12 is about to collapse and they aren't holding their d*cks in their hands like the ones that stayed.
Except it didn’t. They were still a power in the big 12 with Oklahoma and Texas. Now they’re bottom feeders. I mean now, all these years later they might have gotten stuck but who’s to say any of this happens if they never left.

Houston adds value.

Otherwise I'd just stick with 15 teams or go after a big SEC or BIG10 school like UGA or PSU.

I know it sounds farfetched, but UGA coming to the ACC could easily be sold as a win win for them and us.

It would secure the Atlanta market for the ACC and end up giving them close to as much revenue as they're getting now just because the ACC city populations. Also would get GT and UGA in the same conference and let UGA have an easier path to the playoffs as well as letting them play Clemson yearly as well.
They could still play UF annually as their non-conference opponent and would help them get even further into Florida recruiting playing against Miami and/or FSU annually. UGA also has high academic rankings and aspirations and has continued to grow and improve academically. That aligns well with the ACC but not the SEC.

If the ACC added UGA and ND that would match us with the SEC instantly.

We'd have football powers:

ND
UGA
Clemson
Miami
FSU

Vs
Bama
Florida
OU
Auburn
Texas
LSU

Houston adds value.

Otherwise I'd just stick with 15 teams or go after a big SEC or BIG10 school like UGA or PSU.

I know it sounds farfetched, but UGA coming to the ACC could easily be sold as a win win for them and us.

It would secure the Atlanta market for the ACC and end up giving them close to as much revenue as they're getting now just because the ACC city populations. Also would get GT and UGA in the same conference and let UGA have an easier path to the playoffs as well as letting them play Clemson yearly as well.
They could still play UF annually as their non-conference opponent and would help them get even further into Florida recruiting playing against Miami and/or FSU annually. UGA also has high academic rankings and aspirations and has continued to grow and improve academically. That aligns well with the ACC but not the SEC.

ND
UGA
Clemson
Miami
FSU

Vs
Bama
Florida
OU
Auburn
Texas
LSU

Sorry man Georgia will never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever leave the SEC.

Advertisement
🙄 no SEC team is going to the ACC. really unlikely any Big Ten team would ever unless Notre Dame joined and the money for way better and it was an Eastern school that didn't feel loved in the big ten.

Houston, no.

More small private schools, no.

West Virginia is interesting, but probably too poor and too bad academics.

Just need to find some way to force Notre Dame and then draft a rule so that wake doesn't qualify in football.

You guys are actually worried about this. I'm mind blown. Miami will always no matter what have a place to play relevant college football. We are a money maker. Take a deep breath. If the SEC really does do this I can assure you the B1G10 will counter & I'd wager my life we'd be 1A or 1B getting the phone call.

Houston adds value.

ND
UGA
Clemson
Miami
FSU

Vs
Bama
Florida
OU
Auburn
Texas
LSU
Season 2 Nbc GIF by The Office

Advertisement
Don't forget about the other sports.

The SEC may be able to just do what they want in football but they need thriving conferences for their other sports to do well. Baseball and basketball specifically.
Wouldnt football take clear precedence in the SEC? Maybe at Kentucky basketball is dominant, but for most of the other schools these are second tier sports with secondary considerations.

What's really strange is that with all the money at that school, their campus is really, really mediocre. I was actually just there this summer touring around. I expected a beautiful campus and amazing facilities. I was extremely unimpressed!
Having done college recruiting at UT often, I agree with you. Not very scenic at all. Come to think of it , though, I really can't say any university in Texas made much of an impression on me (and I've pretty much seen them all). Not many trees anywhere and that flat prairie landscape doesn't lend itself much to pleasing the eye. If I had to pick one, maybe Rice (once you get into the campus)?

Thinking of nearby states, I'd have to say LSU -- with it's spanish style-tile roofs and nice grounds -- is much more attractive. As is Tulane in the Big Easy.

Advertisement
Except it didn’t. They were still a power in the big 12 with Oklahoma and Texas. Now they’re bottom feeders. I mean now, all these years later they might have gotten stuck but who’s to say any of this happens if they never left.
This happened because Texas established the Longhorn Network and would not revenue share. Nebraska, Colorado, and Texas A&M had enough of the UT’s attitude and left them to play in a rump conference.

Houston, yes. City as large as Miami.

Baylor gives you theoretical access to the Austin market....it’s only about an hour from UT. And Austin is exploding in population,

SMU seems like small fry, but it’s proximity to Dallas in a NIL era could make it primed for a big time comeback.

Let’s not overthink this, add UCF, USF, FAU and FIU. Hire Billy McFarland as commissioner and have him pay a bunch of social media influencers to post to the world how we just created the most powerful super conference out there. WALLA problem solved!
Call it the "vomit" conference. Who the **** on any national or even SE regional level wants to watch FIU, FAU USF and even UCF. Talk about watering down and destroying a conference.

Having done college recruiting at UT often, I agree with you. Not very scenic at all. Come to think of it , though, I really can't say any university in Texas made much of an impression on me (and I've pretty much seen them all). Not many trees anywhere and that flat prairie landscape doesn't lend itself much to pleasing the eye.

Thinking of nearby states, I'd have to say LSU's campus -- with it's spanish style-tile roofs and nice grounds -- is much more attractive. As is Tulane in the Big Easy.
My older son visited Baylor and he and my wife came back impressed with the campus. We also did a basketball tournament back in 2015 right next to Texas A&M and the campus seemed nice enough, at least in comparison to UT.

Advertisement
Back