RT: Bunche/Johnson/Gadbois

TE: Walford/Cleveland
TE: Dye/White

WR: Streeter/Scott
WR: Hurns/Dorsett/the best freshman

QB: Morris/Williams/Dewey/Crow
FB: Hagens/Calhoun
TB: James/Clements/Duke

Offensive recruiting has been way ahead of the defense and it shows. The Class of 2010 is an example of a strong offensive recruiting class and a horrid defensive class. Overall, guys like Streeter, Walford, Dorsett, Hagens and the offensive line "look" how UM players should look at those positions. Morris and Williams do, too.

The defensive two deep is where we'll see Golden's recruiting. Some of his young signees need to step up and provide a spark.

DE: Chickillo/Grimble
DT: Porter/Smith
DT: Forston/Ojomo/Robinson
DE: Vernon/Pierre/Green

Chickillo and Vernon are a promising DE duo and will be relied on for heavy snaps. DT looks a lot better than it did a few months ago with Forston coming back and Ojomo developing as a nickel rusher. Don't see anyway how the defensive line is not improved.

SLB: Buchanan/Cain
MLB: Gaines/Paul
WLB: Perryman/Buchanan

FS: Telemaque/Crawford
SS: Armstrong/Highsmith

Linebacker has some talented players up front and a slew of Golden guys in development. Spence's next-level ability will be missed but Perryman looks ready to take that role. Safety play should be status quo, which is not good. Crawford or somebody else need to inject life into this group.

CB: McGee/Rodgers/Freshmen
CB: Finnie/Payne/Freshmen

Another bad year at corner. The top two have a chance. McGee showed improvement late in the year and Finnie is a fast, hard-nosed player. The key will be developing the freshmen, who are fairly polished corners coming in.

The difference between 6-6 and 9-3 was small this year. With another year in the system and the same or better level of talent, I expect (and I'm sure Golden expects) those wins to swing the other way.

Totally agree with this breakdown. Offense looks very good on paper. I think Morris wins the job and is an improvement over Jac. Very good trio of receivers and great depth and upside at TE. Starting OL on paper should be great, but I'll feel a lot better about that happening if Kehole's gone.

Like I said earlier, a great DL can mask deficiencies in the secondary. Next year's DL has the potential to be a **** good one. Great set of ends and I really liked what I saw of Porter in limited action this season. Other starting DT spot is a bit of a question mark but we actually have good depth there for a change. I think Perryman does a nice job replacing Spence, and I have a hard time believing that getting Futch out of the starting 3 isn't a good thing. Whole defensive backfield is trouble. Hopefully VT slims down a bit and regains the form we saw from him earlier in his career and Crawford steps up (Ray Ray is terrible and I don't see him getting any better). Corners look ugly, period. Finnie might be a good one...past him who knows what we've got.

In the end, neither the talent nor depth will be worse next year than it was this year. With another offseason to focus on conditioning, work ethic, and getting these guys to buy into his system, I see no reason why we can't win a few more games next season. 9 wins seems realistic.

Do you really see our DL being "**** good" by Miami standards? Or have our standards just dropped because we're just happy to have bodies and we're used to the last few years? Think deep and be honest. For me, I see what can be a solid, serviceable group at best if they stay healthy. I certainly don't see a single dominant player, especially at DT.

"**** good" is a lot better than what I see in front if me, and I certainly don't see "a great DL that can mask deficiencies in a secondary." "**** good" means just short of great, and these guys are a LONG way from sniffing Maryland, Brown, Mederis, Stubbs, etc. I would guess Chick is going to be the best player on the DL next year, and he will be a true sophomore who will still be developing to an extent. I think he dominates his last two years, but next year is a little early to ask him to be the bell cow on a "**** good" Miami line.

You don't need a line full of Marylands, Wilforks, etc. to have a **** good line. Right now, no, there is not a single dominant player. That's why I said "potential" to have a **** good DL. Vernon is the closest to being a stud out of the bunch and if he decides to stay, bust his *** in the offseason, and actually get to play the entire year, I think you're looking at guy with high round potential in next year's draft. An offseason in the weight room should do Chick a lot of good and with his motor and drive, I have no doubt he'll continue to improve next year. DT unfortunately is the bigger question mark, but I liked what I saw from Porter in limited action this year. If he can stay healthy (a big if, granted), I see him having a good 2011. The other DT spot is up for grabs, obviously. I'm not expecting a thing out of Forston at this point, so hopefully one of the young guys can step in. I did like what I saw from Smith in bursts...he's a guy that obviously can benefit big time from an offseason of conditioning.

See I see, at best you describing serviceable DT's, and a lot of IF's as DE. Plus there are depth issues. That's just a long way from "**** good" and being a DL that can protect a horrific secondary. But I hope and pray you're right, bro. I'm just trying to ignore the uniform and be as objective as I can. And it scares me.

Advertisement
He said he saw a "**** good" DL that could "mask the deficiencies of a bad secondary."

I am just pointing out that I don't see our DL being as good as he proposes. I used those "great" (my word) players to illustrate the gap between what we have and a great line, to show that I don't think our line will be anywhere near "**** good" by Miami standards.

And BTW, Mederis never played in the NFL due to injury and I don't think Stubbs was an All Pro (50% of my examples) as he bounced around. We don't need "all time" guys. Give me a Kevin Patrick, William Joseph and the like to compliment one bell cow. We're not there.

We don't need an NFL All pro line. But 2nd team ACC would be a nice start. We're not ever there.

No, you're twisting words around, big shocker. I said I saw the POTENTIAL for a **** good DL. Again, they don't need to be an all pro line. Ours was downright bad at the beginning of this year and inconsistent in the 2nd half, and yet the D still managed to have some solid games and field a respectable red zone defense. With an offense that IMO will be at the very least just as good, if not better than this year's, an improved DL, better conditioning and an overall improvement in attitude/culture, there's no reason we can't turn a few of those close losses this year into wins.

Don't start **** with your "big shocker" nonsense. Leave that crap on the other site. This is going well, don't take it off track, no one else is. No one tried to twist your words, I promise, don't be so paranoid.

OK, "potential." Regardless, IMHO it seems as if you are asking for a LOT of different things to fall into place and a lot of guys to take big strides. The mathematician in me, as well as the football fan is scared ****less.

One step back next year and two forward in '13.

Because of probable sanctions, lack of current talent and zero depth, realistically the earliest we could be a BCS caliber team is '14

He said he saw a "**** good" DL that could "mask the deficiencies of a bad secondary."

I am just pointing out that I don't see our DL being as good as he proposes. I used those "great" (my word) players to illustrate the gap between what we have and a great line, to show that I don't think our line will be anywhere near "**** good" by Miami standards.

And BTW, Mederis never played in the NFL due to injury and I don't think Stubbs was an All Pro (50% of my examples) as he bounced around. We don't need "all time" guys. Give me a Kevin Patrick, William Joseph and the like to compliment one bell cow. We're not there.

We don't need an NFL All pro line. But 2nd team ACC would be a nice start. We're not ever there.

No, you're twisting words around, big shocker. I said I saw the POTENTIAL for a **** good DL. Again, they don't need to be an all pro line. Ours was downright bad at the beginning of this year and inconsistent in the 2nd half, and yet the D still managed to have some solid games and field a respectable red zone defense. With an offense that IMO will be at the very least just as good, if not better than this year's, an improved DL, better conditioning and an overall improvement in attitude/culture, there's no reason we can't turn a few of those close losses this year into wins.

Don't start **** with your "big shocker" nonsense. Leave that crap on the other site. This is going well, don't take it off track, no one else is. No one tried to twist your words, I promise, don't be so paranoid.

OK, "potential." Regardless, IMHO it seems as if you are asking for a LOT of different things to fall into place and a lot of guys to take big strides. The mathematician in me, as well as the football fan is scared ****less.

You flat out said that I claimed I sae a **** good DL. That's a bit different than saying the potential is there. I'm not sure what your definition of twisting words is, but that's exactly what Id call it. So spare the victim routine and accusing me of taking the thread off track of one sentence I wrote about you misrepresenting what I wrote when the rest of my post was soley about the topic at hand.

Anyways, it is a lot of ifs, but I have more confidence in this staff to get the most of of these guys, as opposed to the previous corching staffs. That, combined with what I think may be an improved offense, and I think it's setting the bar too low to think we're not capable of winning 8-9 games next season.

Not buying it.

We return seven starters on offense. All four replacements (Morris, Seantrel, James/Clements and Bunche) have experience.

We return seven starters on defense. Three of the replacements (RayRay, Buchanan and Forston) have extensive starting experience. So that's basically ten returning starters.

The raw numbers of freshmen mean nothing. Florida was the youngest team in the NCAA when they won the title in 2006. Played more freshman than anybody, many in key roles. The important thing is signing good players.

And the youngest team in the BCS era when they won in it 08'. These days with spring ball, the football academies in the off-season, the year-round programs, and the strength programs in high school, freshman are more ready than ever to play. The only spots that generally doesn't apply is o-line, d-line, and QB. Linebacker to an extent. But anywhere else freshman can contribute and sometimes even carry a team. Miami's schedule sets up nice next year. FSU and VT are home which should be your biggest threats.

Advertisement

You flat out said that I claimed I sae a **** good DL. That's a bit different than saying the potential is there. I'm not sure what your definition of twisting words is, but that's exactly what Id call it. So spare the victim routine and accusing me of taking the thread off track of one sentence I wrote about you misrepresenting what I wrote when the rest of my post was soley about the topic at hand.

Anyways, it is a lot of ifs, but I have more confidence in this staff to get the most of of these guys, as opposed to the previous corching staffs. That, combined with what I think may be an improved offense, and I think it's setting the bar too low to think we're not capable of winning 8-9 games next season.

So I forgot to use the word "potential" and its suddenly a giant caper where I am trying to twist your words and mislead the world? Got it. And you tell me to "spare the victim routine." Own a mirror? Do you have any idea how paranoid and petty you sound? Just talk football, dude.

Believe me, if your paranoia was correct, and I was "after you," I'd have taken apart your comment about us having a "great set of ends" next year. And no, you didn't use the word potential there, did you? A journeyman guy who's play has been up and down and has had injuries coupled with a true sophomore who is still developing isn't "great." Especially when they are backed up by squat.

Kenard Lang, Kenny Holmes, Rusty Madearis, Kevin Patrick, Daniel Stubbs, Bill Hawkins... those were "great ends."

You standards are sub-Miami.

I am truly impressed with the knowledge of the posters here and thank God for all of you.

I too, am troubled by depth this next year, but I have an even bigger concern. Part of my concern can only be addressed over time, but part is really troubling me and maybe some of you can point out the error of my thoughts here.

In any endeavor of human competition, from military combat to a simple game of checkers, the most important aspect is defense. You must take care of defensive needs first, and once that is initially addressed in a proper manner, the defense you have provided must be an attacking defense.

I know we have a ****load of needs on this team, and of course that is the thing that can only be addressed with time.

But.

Is anyone else concerned that we don't have a load of DL and DB prospects??? Not just big, warm bodies for our DL, but aggressive, attacking DL prospects with attitude???

Is my thinking here skewed?

I am truly impressed with the knowledge of the posters here and thank God for all of you.

I too, am troubled by depth this next year, but I have an even bigger concern. Part of my concern can only be addressed over time, but part is really troubling me and maybe some of you can point out the error of my thoughts here.

In any endeavor of human competition, from military combat to a simple game of checkers, the most important aspect is defense. You must take care of defensive needs first, and once that is initially addressed in a proper manner, the defense you have provided must be an attacking defense.

I know we have a ****load of needs on this team, and of course that is the thing that can only be addressed with time.

But.

Is anyone else concerned that we don't have a load of DL and DB prospects??? Not just big, warm bodies for our DL, but aggressive, attacking DL prospects with attitude???

Is my thinking here skewed?

I think everyone would agree with you. Randy Shannon et al left us in a world of hurt. DT and CB are everything.

So I forgot to use the word "potential" and its suddenly a giant caper where I am trying to twist your words and mislead the world? Got it. And you tell me to "spare the victim routine." Own a mirror? Do you have any idea how paranoid and petty you sound? Just talk football, dude.

Believe me, if your paranoia was correct, and I was "after you," I'd have taken apart your comment about us having a "great set of ends" next year. And no, you didn't use the word potential there, did you? A journeyman guy who's play has been up and down and has had injuries coupled with a true sophomore who is still developing isn't "great." Especially when they are backed up by squat.

Kenard Lang, Kenny Holmes, Rusty Madearis, Kevin Patrick, Daniel Stubbs, Bill Hawkins... those were "great ends."

You standards are sub-Miami.

LOL....I already explained why I think the ends can be great so there's really no need to say much else on that. It is pretty obvious that I think if they progress in the offseason that they can be a great SET, cumulatively. I don't think either one is going to turn into Rusty next season, but I can see them both having very productive 2011s.

All your **** about giant capers and paranoia is just par for the course, typical bomb nonsense. I said you twisted my words around, something you've done to me and other posters on multiple occasions. But you're just doing your thing, getting all dramatic about it like I'm throwing a fit over it. You're the one that's making a much bigger deal out of it than it is, so I suggest you reflect on that for a while and contemplate why you can't just stick to football, dude.

Advertisement
The most critical thing for this defense is to find a free safety that can be a difference maker - either with somebody currently on the roster (who? I don't know) or a really, really special true freshman or a JUCO. We need to find somebody in our secondary that we can trust to roam centerfield and be the guy who will create turnovers.

That is where we have been lacking for so, so very long. Our DL at least has some experience, and some guys that at least show signs of being players (a full year of Vernon, Porter showed flashes these last couple games when he wasn't jumping offsides, Chickillo, etc). At LB we have a player in Perryman and we have a guy coming off a knee injury that hopefully will be ready to go by the start of the year. We'll need to find a true Mike backer somewhere.

But who do we have in the secondary? Telemaque while solid just isn't an impact guy, and RRA should be playing linebacker, not safety. Our corners are going to be green as ****, and the guy we should be able to rely on simply hasn't shown us enough (McGee).

We're going to ask a lot of these dudes coming in, and I can only hope that they are ready for the bright lights. We're going to need them to contribute immediately. And I pray that we can find a ballhawking free safety somewhere, somehow.

Advertisement
There is no way this years team was going 9-3 without games being fixed. We simply did not have the talent or heart to win close games. I'm not blaming Al Golden either because he had this team playing hard in every game, which by itself was an improvement. Our defense could never make a critical stop (MD, K State, Va Tech) when it was needed. But to say we "should" have been 9-3 just because defies what I saw. Our record was our record. I could say 7-5 might have been a better representation of our talent, and with some gifts perhaps 8-4.

Having slept on it and stepping back from yesterday's abortion, I am more towards gables here. This team should have been 9-3. That's what we are without suspensions and with coin-flip luck on close games. That should be the baseline to project from.

We may be thinner at some spots next year, but with another offseason under AG, I think we'll start to see more improvement also. And we actually looked solid at times this year. Hopefully with another spring and fall, we can look solid more of the time next year.

Recruiting is a wild card. But all in all, no reason this team can't go 8-4 or 9-3 next year. No point in making predictions before nsd, but that's my revised assessment.

Not buying it.

We return seven starters on offense. All four replacements (Morris, Seantrel, James/Clements and Bunche) have experience.

We return seven starters on defense. Three of the replacements (RayRay, Buchanan and Forston) have extensive starting experience. So that's basically ten returning starters.

The raw numbers of freshmen mean nothing. Florida was the youngest team in the NCAA when they won the title in 2006. Played more freshman than anybody, many in key roles. The important thing is signing good players.

Go position by position. At quarterback, you have two guys with starting experience who IMO are more talented than Jacory. This is their second year in Fisch's system. The offensive line returns three starters and two NFL-type behemoths with experience at tackle. Walford and Hagans are front-end talents at their respective positions. The top two receivers return, including a potential first rounder, and Dorsett should give us a more reliable version of Benjamin. Miller's playmaking will be missed but James/Clements/Duke are three good all-around football players.

The defensive line returns just about everybody and should be improved with the continued development of Porter and Ojomo. Linebackers lose Spence, but bring back four guys (Perrman, Gaines, Cain and Buchanan) who have played significant snaps. Again, one more year in the system. We lose one good player in the secondary and return everybody else. That will continue to be a trouble spot.

No reason why we can't be a better version of this year's team. And a better version of this year's team wins a lot of those close games.

I have to take issue w/ referring to Dorsett as a more reliable version of Benjamin. While Dorsett hopefully won't make the gaffes Benjamin periodically does, especially recently, I do not recall Dorsett displaying anything close to the explosiveness and change of direction Benjamin has shown since he was a freshman. Benjamin is a threat every time he touched the ball. I haven't seen that from Dorsett all year. I know he is a freshman and will improve, but explosiveness and quickness are athletic traits that should show up immediately.

Advertisement
I'll take proven average like Ray Ray or VT over the big empty that is the corner position. I don't think McGee is ever going to get it at this point and who knows how some of the younger kids are going to play. The fact that Mike Williams was able to stroll in and take up major minutes should tell you all you need to know.

As bad as our safeties are, at least they can tackle, which is a good thing, considering that terrible talent and depth at corner and a DLine that doesn't apply pressure on the opposing QB regularly can be an awful combination...I think they will be tackling quite a bit next year.

Ray Ray has been a glaring liability all year in coverage. That is simply unacceptable at safety. it really undermines your ability to bring blitzes, and we cannot get pressue w/ our front four alone.

Oh, and I've said it before...

Next year we need to win the ACC. If not...Golden and this team will yet again, disappoint.

I agree with this, although I don't see it happening. That being said, I am preparing myself for disappointment next season but am willing to give AG the time it takes. It's just actually nice to have someone who can answer questions with a level of professionalism for once.

Advertisement
Back