RB

Advertisement
Where do people come up with this nonsense? Let’s get a portal tight end, let’s get a portal rb, let’s start Garcia over King. Christ on a bike....
Mk me thinks it is a touch of sarcasm.......... to stimulate posters......must be.....

Advertisement
I agreed there's no reason to add a transfer. We have plenty of depth and good players at RB.

What I'm saying is I can tell fans are thinking we have more juice at RB than we actually do. And I can see the backlash coming.

I think "Depth" and being "Better" is skewing away from the most important question which is - how good is our starter?

If we don't have a starter on the level of a Lamar Miller/Duke Johnson that we can give the ball 225+ times to, then what does it matter if our 4th-6th RB is better than it usually is? Forget the Butch backfields - they shouldn't even be mentioned.

Right now we're hoping Chaney can reach the Miller/Duke level but have no evidence of that yet and the shoulder is a setback. Cam & Knighton aren't that level.

OK, fair points.

Cam went for 126 rushes last year. Could he have handled the ball 99 more times? Fairly likely. King ran 130 times, which is (obviously) disproportionate to almost any other Miami QB over the past 40 years (Rosier was an exception). Most of those rushes were ones that would have gone to the running back in any other year.

Again, not complaining at all, but 70 more carries at his average YPC would have made Cam a 1,000 yard rusher. AND we played 2 games fewer than normal. So Cam probably gets 25-30 of those carries in a normal-length season, which means he'd only need about 50 more rushes that went to King.

Also, let's work backwards.

2019 - Deejay had 115 carries, Cam had 114 carries
2018 - Homer had 164 carries, Deejay had 109
2017 - Homer had 163 carries, Walton had 56
2016 - Walton had 209 carries, Yearby had 102
2015 - Yearby had 205 carries, Walton had 130
2014 - Duke had 242 carries, Yearby had 86
2013 - Duke had 145 carries, Dallas Crawford had 137
2012 - Mike James had 147 carries, Duke had 139
2011 - Lamar Miller had 227 carries, Mike James had 72
2010 - Damien Berry had 190 carries, Lamar Miller had 108
2009 - Graig Cooper had 134 carries, Javarris had 103
2008 - Coop had 171 carries, Javarris had 68
2007 - Javarris had 159 carries, Coop had 125
2006 - Javarris had 175 carries, Ty Moss had 66 (and Charlie Jones had 61)
2005 - Ty Moss had 137, Charlie Jones had 123
2004 - Gore had 197 carries, Ty Moss had 102
2003 - Payton had 182 carries, Ty Moss had 107
2002 - McGahee had 282 carries, Jason Geathers had 68
2001 - Portis had 220 carries, McGahee had 67 (and Gore had 62)
2000 - James Jackson had 201 carries, Portis had 77
1999 - James Jackson had 169 carries, Portis had 143
1998 - Edge had 242 carries, James Jackson had 82
1997 - Edge had 184 carries, James Jackson had 81

So ever since we dumped Erickson's 1-back system, we've only RARELY had a running back exceed 200 carries (8 times in 24 years, including COVID-shortened 2020). Four of those eight came with Butch recruits (Edge, JJ, Portis, McGahee). No UM running back in that time period has exceeded 200 carries more than once.

We just seem to have 2 models, either the "bell-cow" running back, or an even distribution between the top 2. I pointed out 2 years where the 3rd most frequent rusher was close to the 2nd most frequent.

With 5 blue-chip running backs (plus King), I highly doubt any of our running backs get 200 carries in 2021. MAYBE 150 if Cam and/or Don have healthy seasons. But probably 125-150 for ONE of them if King can run with effectiveness.

Where do people come up with this nonsense? Let’s get a portal tight end, let’s get a portal rb, let’s start Garcia over King. Christ on a bike....
I'm going to go out on a limb here. I'm guessing the people that come up with this kind of nonsense. They more than likely get these same kind of delusional thoughts from the same kind of place where people get the crazy idea that the QB Howell from NC is better than Ken Dorsey ever was at The U.

Go Canes!!!

Advertisement
OK, fair points.

Cam went for 126 rushes last year. Could he have handled the ball 99 more times? Fairly likely. King ran 130 times, which is (obviously) disproportionate to almost any other Miami QB over the past 40 years (Rosier was an exception). Most of those rushes were ones that would have gone to the running back in any other year.

Again, not complaining at all, but 70 more carries at his average YPC would have made Cam a 1,000 yard rusher. AND we played 2 games fewer than normal. So Cam probably gets 25-30 of those carries in a normal-length season, which means he'd only need about 50 more rushes that went to King.

Also, let's work backwards.

2019 - Deejay had 115 carries, Cam had 114 carries
2018 - Homer had 164 carries, Deejay had 109
2017 - Homer had 163 carries, Walton had 56
2016 - Walton had 209 carries, Yearby had 102
2015 - Yearby had 205 carries, Walton had 130
2014 - Duke had 242 carries, Yearby had 86
2013 - Duke had 145 carries, Dallas Crawford had 137
2012 - Mike James had 147 carries, Duke had 139
2011 - Lamar Miller had 227 carries, Mike James had 72
2010 - Damien Berry had 190 carries, Lamar Miller had 108
2009 - Graig Cooper had 134 carries, Javarris had 103
2008 - Coop had 171 carries, Javarris had 68
2007 - Javarris had 159 carries, Coop had 125
2006 - Javarris had 175 carries, Ty Moss had 66 (and Charlie Jones had 61)
2005 - Ty Moss had 137, Charlie Jones had 123
2004 - Gore had 197 carries, Ty Moss had 102
2003 - Payton had 182 carries, Ty Moss had 107
2002 - McGahee had 282 carries, Jason Geathers had 68
2001 - Portis had 220 carries, McGahee had 67 (and Gore had 62)
2000 - James Jackson had 201 carries, Portis had 77
1999 - James Jackson had 169 carries, Portis had 143
1998 - Edge had 242 carries, James Jackson had 82
1997 - Edge had 184 carries, James Jackson had 81

So ever since we dumped Erickson's 1-back system, we've only RARELY had a running back exceed 200 carries (8 times in 24 years, including COVID-shortened 2020). Four of those eight came with Butch recruits (Edge, JJ, Portis, McGahee). No UM running back in that time period has exceeded 200 carries more than once.

We just seem to have 2 models, either the "bell-cow" running back, or an even distribution between the top 2. I pointed out 2 years where the 3rd most frequent rusher was close to the 2nd most frequent.

With 5 blue-chip running backs (plus King), I highly doubt any of our running backs get 200 carries in 2021. MAYBE 150 if Cam and/or Don have healthy seasons. But probably 125-150 for ONE of them if King can run with effectiveness.
I get what you're saying about actual carries.

My point though is more, "is there a RB who will step up to the point where his talent will demand a majority of the carries"?

We want a "bellcow" RB - because last year we had a logjam of "ok" RB's. Cam has averaged 5.1 ypc the last 2 years. Chaney & Knighton were 4.7 & 4.0 last year. That's not good.

Now - all 3 could average 5.3 ypc this year. All would be somewhere between slightly to significantly "better". But for all 3 - that's still not good.

Like - if Chaney doesn't separate himself from Cam & Knighton (given what I've seen so far) - that means our backfield won't be as good as when Miller/Duke was the lead RB.

We’ll have five quality rb’s on the roster week one , we need more?

If we have 5 "Cam Harris" type/level of talent RB's on our roster, do we need a 6th of the same? Of course not

But if we have 5 RB's on the roster, do we need at least 1 to be an obvious step above a "Cam Harris" type/level of talent? Definitely

If we have 5 "Cam Harris" type/level of talent RB's on our roster, do we need a 6th of the same? Of course not

But if we have 5 RB's on the roster, do we need at least 1 to be an obvious step above a "Cam Harris" type/level of talent? Definitely
I don’t get this

🤷🏿‍♂️
What the hell_ I can't believe they greenlight shiat like this_ Jesus H. Christ, are the admin...jpg

Advertisement

My point though is more, "is there a RB who will step up to the point where his talent will demand a majority of the carries"?

We want a "bellcow" RB - because last year we had a logjam of "ok" RB's. Cam has averaged 5.1 ypc the last 2 years. Chaney & Knighton were 4.7 & 4.0 last year. That's not good.

Now - all 3 could average 5.3 ypc this year. All would be somewhere between slightly to significantly "better". But for all 3 - that's still not good.

Like - if Chaney doesn't separate himself from Cam & Knighton (given what I've seen so far) - that means our backfield won't be as good as when Miller/Duke was the lead RB.
Chaney had ran away with the starting job , it was done. Cam and knighton would’ve been the two and three. Cam as a backup or rotation guy is good anywhere. The guy can play , and is a great pass blocker. Now with Chaney being out and coming back in fall I’d expect a committee, at least until mid year. Which is a good problem to have. That’s a really good backfield and five quality backs.

Anyone that thinks we need a sixth back needs to layoff off the narcotics. That’s a really good five.

OK, I think we are making an apples-oranges salad here.

5.1 YPC is not bad, when you consider that Cam had over 100 carries. Any RB with that many carries gets their share of the "slam into the line on 1st down" runs. Only 50 running backs in 2020 had a YPC of 5.2 or above AND had over 100 carries. I don't put the blame on Cam as much as I put it on our ****TY run-playcall-design, which hurt ALL THREE of our running backs in 2020. We've got to do more than just inside veers, particularly when you have (relatively) fast running backs in SoFla.

I'd also point out that even if we had Barry Sanders in the backfield, if King pulls the ball and runs it himself, that will still decrease ANY running back's carries.

I think Cam and Don can handle 150-200 carries in 2021, but because we have five blue-chip running backs (and would prefer not to lose any to the Portal), I think "bell-cow" for 2021 will NOT involve over 150 carries. Again, just my 2 cents, and that is not factoring in any injuries during the season.

Advertisement
We have 5 RB's on the roster including Burns (?) and a walkon. To expect a new entry RB to be ready for Bama is a reach. Also injuries don't always recover and those returning need to get in condition and prepare fully.
From 247: "That means a three-man competition at running back between Chaney, Cam’Ron Harris, and Jaylan Knighton is now down to two. "
We have our leading RB back, great, a 600 yard RB. Throw in the fact we had no legitimate TE's for spring so blocking schemes that include TE's have not been practiced.
Butch always had a room full of RB's and used them all. I hope at least one of our RB's is comparable to Butch's RBs.
Brashard Smith or Restrepo could play in emergency duty and still be better than any RB you could mention that's available.

Brashard Smith or Restrepo could play in emergency duty and still be better than any RB you could mention that's available.

****, I don't even care about putting those dudes in the backfield, let's use some more jet-sweeps and end-arounds and double reverses. I'm sick and tired of 90% of our runs being either (a) King pulls the ball, or (b) running back slams up the middle.

Do not disrespect ppl with Alzheimer’s or dementia by comparing them to @fraggle recent streak of fragBombs💣..he’s in a class by himself
Clearly fraggle is off his meds or has dementia or Alzheimer’s. Dude is becoming the worst poster around. Feel sorry for the guy.

Advertisement
Back