RB

Advertisement
Sbxl4hy.gif

Like we are in great shape at RB. Chaney will be coming off injury and be better than ever. King will be a running threat coming off surgery and recruits will take up the slack. Can't find any official stats on yesterday but we certainly didn't seem very threatening against our own defense that let NC embarrass us, oh, I forgot Diaz is the DC now therefore our defense was awesome yesterday against the run. Sorry but Alabama MIGHT have some offensive issues against us but their defense is their strength and a powerful back like Bailey just MIGHT up our chances just in case things go go as optimistic as planned. How dare I question our RB depth.

This might be one of the most ridiculous porsts I've read in a while.

First, our leading rusher from 2020 is back. So, just using that as a starting point, we are in good shape.

Second, not sure why you need "official stats", why don't you just try watching the spring game?

Third, you whine like a ***** about injuries, yet both players are expected back for Game 1.

Fourth, you ignore the two players coming in August, as if our #3 and #4 rushers last year weren't freshmen (they were).

Fifth, you act like a transfer is necessary at one of our most talented and deep positions on the field.

Probably the wrong threat to put a serious comment in, but idk how Lashlee is gonna do the bell cow thing with all the talent in the RB room.

Knighton is too electric to keep on the bench. And you can’t risk him transferring. He is more of a change of pace back anyways. I’d like to see him get a workload similar to last year - maybe 7-10 carries a game.

Seems like it comes down to Chaney vs Harris for the bulk of the carries. If Don is the guy, I just don’t see how Cam doesn’t transfer out. A 4th year guy with NFL aspirations... I wouldn’t blame him one bit if he left. But if he does stay, you’re telling me he isn’t gonna get any burn at all?

I get the concept of letting a guy get in a rhythm, but I just don’t see it happening.

Advertisement
We have 5 RB's on the roster including Burns (?) and a walkon. To expect a new entry RB to be ready for Bama is a reach. Also injuries don't always recover and those returning need to get in condition and prepare fully.
From 247: "That means a three-man competition at running back between Chaney, Cam’Ron Harris, and Jaylan Knighton is now down to two. "
We have our leading RB back, great, a 600 yard RB. Throw in the fact we had no legitimate TE's for spring so blocking schemes that include TE's have not been practiced.
Butch always had a room full of RB's and used them all. I hope at least one of our RB's is comparable to Butch's RBs.

We have 5 RB's on the roster including Burns (?) and a walkon. To expect a new entry RB to be ready for Bama is a reach. Also injuries don't always recover and those returning need to get in condition and prepare fully.
From 247: "That means a three-man competition at running back between Chaney, Cam’Ron Harris, and Jaylan Knighton is now down to two. "
We have our leading RB back, great, a 600 yard RB. Throw in the fact we had no legitimate TE's for spring so blocking schemes that include TE's have not been practiced.
Butch always had a room full of RB's and used them all. I hope at least one of our RB's is comparable to Butch's RBs.

Everything you wrote is wrong.

Bobby Burns is gone.

Alabama is not our only game. If you want some upperclass transfer JUST for Alabama, that's your insanity to own. There are 11 games after that, and our two freshmen can help us win those games in the same way that Chaney/Knighton helped us win games in 2020.

You quote 247...but where is the "three-man competition" that is "now down to two"? Is it the competition for Mayor of April? King of June? Last I checked, Chaney is still in the competition for the 2021 REGULAR SEASON.

"Blocking schemes that include TEs have not been practiced"? You mean, none of the injured TEs played or practiced last year? Good lord, you are FREAKING THE FVCK OUT over a dozen practices in March-April. What is wrong with you?

Butch always had a room full of RBs and used them all? Really? For instance, in 1998, how many yards did James Jackson or Najeh Davenport have against UCLA? How many rushes did they have during the season? Edge had 242 rushes to 82 for JJ and 55 for Najeh, and that was one of our most talented running back rooms EVER. But Edge was still the bell-cow, and by a wide margin. In 1999, there was more balance, Jackson had 169 rushes and Portis had 143 rushes, but in 2000 it went back to Jackson with 201 rushes and Portis with 77 rushes. So in 1998 and 2000, Miami's top rusher had 3x the carries of the #2 rusher.

As for Najeh...55 rushes in 1998, 13 rushes in 1999, and 65 rushes in 2000. And 23 in 2001. I mean, I love the guy, but he never got a ton of carries.

And look at our depth. In 1997, it was Edge and Jackson and...Dyral McMillan going 31 times for 144 yards. In 1998, we had Davenport, but Edge got twice as many carries as Jackson & Davenport combined. In 1999 we had balance, and in 2000 we had a dominant Jackson. With the exception of 1999, all the Butch years with Butch recruits at RB were dominated by one runner, even though the backups were incredibly talented.

Stop inventing 20-year-old myths about our running backs.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I disagree with the OP about a transfer. Our RB situation is good and a strength. A transfer RB isn't needed.

That being said - I can see the "This is our best backfield since 2001" hype train has left the building, and there are no brakes. Posters be damned if you say anything critical about our RB's.

I hope there's a faction that understands we might have a collection of good RB's, but none that are great/special (fingers crossed on Chaney).

Will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Advertisement
I disagree with the OP about a transfer. Our RB situation is good and a strength. A transfer RB isn't needed.

That being said - I can see the "This is our best backfield since 2001" hype train has left the building, and there are no brakes. Posters be damned if you say anything critical about our RB's.

I hope there's a faction that understands we might have a collection of good RB's, but none that are great/special (fingers crossed on Chaney).

Will be interesting to see how this plays out.

This is just another one of those ridiculous "I keep it real-er than anyone else, because I say CRITICAL things about our players" nonsense posts.

Nobody is "damned" for saying anything "critical" about our RBs.

We are just pointing out the whining overreaction about "desperately seeking Portal help" when we have our Top 3 RBs back (yes, one has a minor shoulder issue) AND we are adding two sizeable 4-star freshmen. And I'm not sure how taking a Portal RB (or FIVE Portal RBs) will fix D'Eriq King.

That is all. If anything, we should be BETTER at RB than we were last year. That does not mean we have anointed the RB room as "best ever" or "best since 2001". But, honestly, which of those 5 guys is Dyral McMillan or Nick Williams or Jarrett Payton or Jason Geathers? Beyond our Top 2 or 3 best RBs, we have normally had a big drop-off, but we have five legitimate threats once the freshmen arrive.

As people have pointed out, RB is one of the easiest positions to plug-and-play a freshman (assuming that Soldinger is no longer keeping them off the field for lack of pass-blocking skills).

So we should bring in a SIXTH blue-chip running back because Chaney has a minor shoulder issue?

Advertisement
This is just another one of those ridiculous "I keep it real-er than anyone else, because I say CRITICAL things about our players" nonsense posts.

Nobody is "damned" for saying anything "critical" about our RBs.

We are just pointing out the whining overreaction about "desperately seeking Portal help" when we have our Top 3 RBs back (yes, one has a minor shoulder issue) AND we are adding two sizeable 4-star freshmen. And I'm not sure how taking a Portal RB (or FIVE Portal RBs) will fix D'Eriq King.

That is all. If anything, we should be BETTER at RB than we were last year. That does not mean we have anointed the RB room as "best ever" or "best since 2001". But, honestly, which of those 5 guys is Dyral McMillan or Nick Williams or Jarrett Payton or Jason Geathers? Beyond our Top 2 or 3 best RBs, we have normally had a big drop-off, but we have five legitimate threats once the freshmen arrive.

As people have pointed out, RB is one of the easiest positions to plug-and-play a freshman (assuming that Soldinger is no longer keeping them off the field for lack of pass-blocking skills).

So we should bring in a SIXTH blue-chip running back because Chaney has a minor shoulder issue?

I agreed there's no reason to add a transfer. We have plenty of depth and good players at RB.

What I'm saying is I can tell fans are thinking we have more juice at RB than we actually do. And I can see the backlash coming.

I think "Depth" and being "Better" is skewing away from the most important question which is - how good is our starter?

If we don't have a starter on the level of a Lamar Miller/Duke Johnson that we can give the ball 225+ times to, then what does it matter if our 4th-6th RB is better than it usually is? Forget the Butch backfields - they shouldn't even be mentioned.

Right now we're hoping Chaney can reach the Miller/Duke level but have no evidence of that yet and the shoulder is a setback. Cam & Knighton aren't that level.

Last edited:
I agreed there's no reason to add a transfer. We have plenty of depth and good players at RB.

What I'm saying is I can tell fans are thinking we have more juice at RB than we actually do. And I can see the backlash coming.

I think "Depth" and being "Better" is skewing away from the most important question which is - how good is our starter?

If we don't have a starter on the level of a Lamar Miller/Duke Johnson that we can give the ball 225+ times a game to, then what does it matter if our 4th-6th RB is better than it usually is? Forget the Butch backfields - they shouldn't even be mentioned.

Right now we're hoping Chaney can reach the Miller/Duke level but have no evidence of that yet and the shoulder is a setback. Cam & Knighton aren't that level.
Man, 225 times a game? We're going to break the record for most plays by a wide, wide margin.

Advertisement
Back