Rayshawn Jenkins

I don't understand why all of our safeties except Bush are always so far away from the line of scrimmage.

Real easy answer, chief: because none of the other safeties are good enough to read and react in a smaller amount of space against the 3 and 4 receiver sets that most teams run these days. They need to play ultra soft or you'd see slants and crossing patterns busting for 80 yard touchdowns every week.

Hopefully Jenkins or someone else can develop as a true counterpart to Bush for 13 and we won't have to play 20 yards off the line any more. It's frustrating to see the same passing plays beat us week after week, when even above-average safeties would make a huge difference, but we just don't have them yet.

Careful. Making sense is grounds for bashing around here.

Advertisement
Some people can't except the fact that the best players on this team, BY FAR, are true freshmen and sophomores. Golden has done a nice job recruiting, but when you have true frosh and sophs coming in and taking jobs from seniors/juniors...you have a major talent problem. I am fully confident that talent level is moving in the right direction. However, it takes time for most 18 year olds to make an impact on the field. Duke is obviously the very rare exception.

Some people can't except the fact that the best players on this team, BY FAR, are true freshmen and sophomores. Golden has done a nice job recruiting, but when you have true frosh and sophs coming in and taking jobs from seniors/juniors...you have a major talent problem. I am fully confident that talent level is moving in the right direction. However, it takes time for most 18 year olds to make an impact on the field. Duke is obviously the very rare exception.

I agree with all of this.

A lot of our fan base is delusional on our what our returning talent really was. They still think we are uber-talented because the helmets have the U on them. Still think we are that much better then the Virginia's of the world. If Golden can close this 2013 class we will be looking good for the future. This was always going to be a multi-year reclamation project, people just refuse to be realistic.

Jenkins isn't that far removed from being a soft looking incoming freshman either. If you would have told me in the spring that he would be playing this much I would have A. Not believed you and B. Cried.

He was a good athlete in high school but he didn't look like he was ready for college yet but he has quickly made strides.

One of the real bright spots from the Virginia game.

I was worried he was going to be soft and ultimately wind up at WR. But he seems willing as a tackler and has better technique than Bush. He is nowhere near as explosive or powerful, but that's what UTough is for. His frame is pretty good.

We need a ballhawk at safety and he's developing a reputation in practice for making those kind of plays.

Advertisement
One of the real bright spots from the Virginia game.

I was worried he was going to be soft and ultimately wind up at WR. But he seems willing as a tackler and has better technique than Bush. He is nowhere near as explosive or powerful, but that's what UTough is for. His frame is pretty good.

We need a ballhawk at safety and he's developing a reputation in practice for making those kind of plays.

Seems a fair amount of people thought this as well. Do you contribute him being aggressive and willing to coaching or just maybe we assumed things? Cuz we all said Bush wouldn't be a Safety too and we were all wrong on that as well. Lol

Looks like good ol Fishbein, aka nole80, might have been dead wrong about Jenkins. Wasn't he all over Shadow's board saying that Rayshawn wasnt a BCS caliber safety?

Looks like good ol Fishbein, aka nole80, might have been dead wrong about Jenkins. Wasn't he all over Shadow's board saying that Rayshawn wasnt a BCS caliber safety?

IIRC it was basically the same what D$ just said. That he wouldn't want to tackle and etc.

Seems a fair amount of people thought this as well. Do you contribute him being aggressive and willing to coaching or just maybe we assumed things? Cuz we all said Bush wouldn't be a Safety too and we were all wrong on that as well. Lol

IMO, some guys are just waiting for the college game. Both Jenkins and Bush went to private schools where they were much better athletes than their teammates. Once they got to college and competed with comparable players, they took it to another level of effort and quality.

Advertisement

IMO, some guys are just waiting for the college game. Both Jenkins and Bush went to private schools where they were much better athletes than their teammates. Once they got to college and competed with comparable players, they took it to another level of effort and quality.

And that is one of the many reasons why recruiting is so **** tough.

Give me guy who can physically make a play with some mental mistakes over guys who may be mentally prepared but are not athletic enough to make the plays. RJ needs to start next to Bush, the rest need to cover kicks or kick rocks. I am so sick of this TERRIBLE safety play at a school that should have no trouble finding two above average safeties.

/ rant over

Thank You

Led in tackles and had an INT against USF. This kid is gonna really benefit from a full off-season. Can't wait to see he and Deon develop.

in the 3rd qtr with USF on our 30ish yard line the USF rb ran a wheel route and RJ closed on it like Neon Deon and easliy knocked the ball away...3rd down play...he is special....

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back