Rayshawn Jenkins

CyberCane

Junior
Thought the kid looked pretty **** good. He definitely has an explosive quality to him that we've been missing from a big safety. I think he and Bush could be one of the better safety combos we've had in years.

Advertisement
Next year can't come soon enough... Closer to having legit safety's roaming around for us then the JAGS we've had

Don't know why we don't just start him and Bush from here on out...they're the future at the position get them as much experience as possible...

Kacy and A.J. should be seeing limited snaps at this point in my opinion...

Rayshawn made some nice plays last week I thought...a couple of good tackles..

Advertisement
There's no way he's as bad as Highsmith and Rodgers. I put in another thread that the staff must be scared to play two true freshman safeties at the same **** time. But, what's the point of having veterans like Highsmith and Rodgers back there that are in position to make the play, but not athletic enough to make it?

Like the athleticm he and Bush bring to the S position. It's something we have been desperately missing.

Advertisement
There's no way he's as bad as Highsmith and Rodgers. I put in another thread that the staff must be scared to play two true freshman safeties at the same **** time. But, what's the point of having veterans like Highsmith and Rodgers back there that are in position to make the play, but not athletic enough to make it?

It took Jenkins 10 games, plus an injury to Bush, to get good enough to play significant snaps. Bush was already in there in Week 1. Just because Rodgers and the other dudes aren't very good in no way means RJ was prepared to step in any earlier.

And isn't he coming from a small school, seems like a huge leap for him in terms of speed of the game compared to small school Florida football.

It took Jenkins 10 games, plus an injury to Bush, to get good enough to play significant snaps. Bush was already in there in Week 1. Just because Rodgers and the other dudes aren't very good in no way means RJ was prepared to step in any earlier.

You right. No way in **** they were going to start two true freshmen at safety. NO WAY.

I was all excited to see Rayshawn play from day one, and they worked him in, then an injury, then his momentum was cut off temporarily, now he's getting more reps. Rayshawn has the talent, just needs to get his game vision a bit more fine-tuned and he'll be great.

honestly, the kid hasn't shown anything that jumps out in my memory. I understand that he was basically thrown to the wolves without necessarily being fully ready

Advertisement
honestly, the kid hasn't shown anything that jumps out in my memory. I understand that he was basically thrown to the wolves without necessarily being fully ready

I can't believe you haven't seen him on special teams (do you watch all the games)??? He's a demon, that's where I first noticed him, but he made a few athletic plays on D and runs twice as fast as Highsmith/RogersIII/Tele.......

I don't understand why all of our safeties except Bush are always so far away from the line of scrimmage. Watching the game again I noticed that a lot including on that 4th and 7 when Finnie was called for holding. Before the snap you see Jenkins as the middle safety and he starts running backwards before the ball is even snapped. When the ball was thrown, he is at the **** 5 yard line, about 30 yards away from the line of scrimmage. If he was anywhere near the play maybe Finnie doesn't need to hold. Middle of the field so wide open all day because the LBs didn't drop deep enough and safeties dropped way too deep.

Overall I agree with bigtip. Didn't see him do much of anything besides make a tackle 15-20 yards down field. That aint good defense. Is this scheme preventing our safeties up to make a play (outside of Bush) or are the other guys just that bad at recognizing whats going on in front of them? Could be both. I will give Jenkins credit that his speed and athleticism definitely jumps out on special teams but he is not ready on the defensive side. Wish we could have shirted him.

Last edited:
Give me guy who can physically make a play with some mental mistakes over guys who may be mentally prepared but are not athletic enough to make the plays. RJ needs to start next to Bush, the rest need to cover kicks or kick rocks. I am so sick of this TERRIBLE safety play at a school that should have no trouble finding two above average safeties.

/ rant over

Advertisement

I can't believe you haven't seen him on special teams (do you watch all the games)??? He's a demon, that's where I first noticed him, but he made a few athletic plays on D and runs twice as fast as Highsmith/RogersIII/Tele.......

I was talking about the play at S

I don't understand why all of our safeties except Bush are always so far away from the line of scrimmage. Watching the game again I noticed that a lot including on that 4th and 7 when Finnie was called for holding. Before the snap you see Jenkins as the middle safety and he starts running backwards before the ball is even snapped. When the ball was thrown, he is at the **** 5 yard line, about 30 yards away from the line of scrimmage. If he was anywhere near the play maybe Finnie doesn't need to hold. Middle of the field so wide open all day because the LBs didn't drop deep enough and safeties dropped way too deep.

Overall I agree with bigtip. Didn't see him do much of anything besides make a tackle 15-20 yards down field. That aint good defense. Is this scheme preventing our safeties up to make a play (outside of Bush) or are the other guys just that bad at recognizing whats going on in front of them? Could be both. I will give Jenkins credit that his speed and athleticism definitely jumps out on special teams but he is not ready on the defensive side. Wish we could have shirted him.

I noticed a big change in the defensive playcalling this week compared to VT. it looked like D'No went back into his really soft shell and played really scared. I think it is a combo of him not having any faith in the personnel and partially just getting out coached

I was talking about the play at S

He closes very quickly and takes great angles to the ball carrier. Once there, he finishes--hard tackler and wraps up.

He stepped into the hole on a run play and had a solo for either no gain or -1 yards vs UVA. Was a really nice play/tackle.
Also showed ridiculous closing speed on an outside run vs VTech where he didn't have a good angle.

Advertisement
Back