Ranking Manny's Worst Losses

Umbra

Carolina Cane
So after last night, I was ruminating on where I think this loss would place in the impressive collection of signature losses that Manny has collected as HC. Below is my ranking of our losses with #1 being the worst loss we've had.

Where are we taking bets that the upcoming UNC loss ends up? I think between 4 and 6 somewhere.

But did we win though?
15. Central Michigan (2019) (12-17) - I blocked this from memory until @caneholic88 reminded me of it. So here it is. Certainly feels like a loss.
14. App State (2021) (23-25) - They really gave us this win. Thanks Chase Brice?

Close games
13. Oklahoma State (Cheez-It Bowl-2020) (37-34) - Really close game N'kosi looked good so overall I thought the least bad loss?
12. Va Tech (2019) (42-35) - Don't remember this one at all...
11. @UNC (2019) (28-25) - I was in person for this one so if I were biased it would be lower. 4th and 17 is all I remember.

We had no chance
10. @Clemson (2020) (42-17) - This is less bad than Bama since it was @Clemson and during covid I think. Offense didn't have much time to practice yet.
9. Alabama (Neutral-2021) (44-13) - Outmatched completely but we did score?

Should have won but...
8. Michigan State (2021) (38-17) - This one was at least competitive for a minute there until Q4. But final score moves it down the list.
7. UVA (2021) (30-28) - Yesterday's loss has to be here not from score but just how bad we looked for most of the game.
6. UF (Neutral-2020) (24-20) We had so many chances to beat a hated rival who gave us many chances to win and we just couldn't do it. How many sacks did they have?

We looked bad.
5. @Duke (2019) (27-17) - Terrible Duke team that we out matched and we played like garbage.
4. Ga Tech (2019) (28-21) - This was during the first year of GaTech's rebuild from a triple option team... Terrible to lose here.

The creme de la creme of Manny losses.
3. @UNC (2020) (62-26) - This game still hurts me.
2. @FIU (2019) (30-24) - It's FIU but at least we scored and it was a closer game?
1. LA Tech (independence bowl-2019) (14-0) - Getting shut out by a not great G5 team has to be the worst game we've played in a LOOOONG time.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Pretty sure that VT game is the game we went down like 28-0 came back to tie and then lost.

The thing about Manny is he has these losses without the Wins to go along. What are his best wins? 2 point wins over teams like UVA or Pitt that have half the recruiting talent to work with?

Pretty sure that VT game is the game we went down like 28-0 came back to tie and then lost.

The thing about Manny is he has these losses without the Wins to go along. What are his best wins? 2 point wins over teams like UVA or Pitt that have half the recruiting talent to work with?
There's a reason I didn't want to do the wins too lol. Would just make me sad.

FAlY_48X0AIt2gR

Advertisement
So after last night, I was ruminating on where I think this loss would place in the impressive collection of signature losses that Manny has collected as HC. Below is my ranking of our losses with #1 being the worst loss we've had.

Where are we taking bets that the upcoming UNC loss ends up? I think between 4 and 6 somewhere.

Close games
13. Oklahoma State (Cheez-It Bowl-2020) (37-34) - Really close game N'kosi looked good so overall I thought the least bad loss?
12. Va Tech (2019) (42-35) - Don't remember this one at all...
11. @UNC (2019) (28-25) - I was in person for this one so if I were biased it would be lower. 4th and 17 is all I remember.

We had no chance
10. @Clemson (2020) (42-17) - This is less bad than Bama since it was @Clemson and during covid I think. Offense didn't have much time to practice yet.
9. Alabama (Neutral-2021) (44-13) - Outmatched completely but we did score?

Should have won but...
8. Michigan State (2021) (38-17) - This one was at least competitive for a minute there until Q4. But final score moves it down the list.
7. UVA (2021) (30-28) - Yesterday's loss has to be here not from score but just how bad we looked for most of the game.
6. UF (Neutral-2020) (24-20) We had so many chances to beat a hated rival who gave us many chances to win and we just couldn't do it. How many sacks did they have?

We looked bad.
5. @Duke (2019) (27-17) - Terrible Duke team that we out matched and we played like garbage.
4. Ga Tech (2019) (28-21) - This was during the first year of GaTech's rebuild from a triple option team... Terrible to lose here.

The creme de la creme of Manny losses.
3. @UNC (2020) (62-26) - This game still hurts me.
2. @FIU (2019) (30-24) - It's FIU but at least we scored and it was a closer game?
1. LA Tech (independence bowl-2019) (14-0) - Getting shut out by a not great G5 team has to be the worst game we've played in a LOOOONG time.
So bowl games aren't to be considered?

Ga tech was also a creme da la creme loss, that was a debacle of the highest order and sh*t I’d also put the cmu and app st wins on this list too, they count as L’s in my book
Fair point. I have added those two. Since they are wins they are 14/15, but they certainly felt like losses. I'll give you that.

Advertisement
At Carolina in 2019 was worse than you remember. They took control after a fast start. I was there it never felt like Miami was gonna win. Even after taking that lead. I walked out right before Baxa missed that FG. I knew there was zero chance he would make it.

Stated so in another post/thread. The guy never has his teams punch above their weight. Not only does he routinely lose to teams he should beat, he never beats teams he shouldn't. Not good.

Advertisement
I’m a do the opposite and list all of manny’s greatest achievements , I can count manny’s greatest wins on one hand

1)-Fsu 2020, it was the worst Fsu team I’ve seen in my life but great win tbf loved every second of it..
2)- 2020 off season hype , we were rolling for 8 months , manny is unmatched and undefeated here

Edited cuz none of the other wins matter

Last edited:
I’m a do the opposite and list all of manny’s greatest achievements , I can count manny’s greatest wins on one hand

1)-Fsu 2020, great win tbf loved every second of it..
2)- 2020 off season hype , we were rolling for 8 months , manny is unmatched and undefeated here
3)- Louisville 2020, looked explosive on O but still gave up a sh*t load of yards and points (what do you expect from a manny D)
4) Fsu 2019 (d line raped them and score was closer than how the game played out)
5) Louisville 2019 Jarren looked like Tom Brady in this one but d still got carved up
-Honorable mention va tech 2020, surprising comeback by manny in a death struggle on the road against a below avg team
That's a depressing list man. No Mark Richt ND level wins at all.

Advertisement
Strong list. FIU takes the top spot for me since it was on the site of the old OB and it was Butch's geriatric *** that pounded Manny. I think we underrate how bad that GT loss was... transitioning from a triple-option and at home. We had about 30 missed tackles that game and we gave up a TD to a punter. I think they finished the year with 2 wins. This is like getting kicked in the nuts over and over

The FIU loss was the worst loss we’ve had in my time, just in my opinion. Even worse than the final game at the OB and I didn’t think that was possible.

The FIU game was where I realized just how horrendous Diaz actually was, and that there was nothing that could fix that

I think that VT loss was after the horrible FSU game (I believe the week before or so) where we were down substantially at half and clawed our way back to a W. That should be in this list to fit what could have been against Willie.

It seems amazing to me that this team under Manny is undefeated against FSU, but can’t get its act together otherwise. Could you imagine an OSU coach that beats Michigan every year but gets beat up by Indiana and Rutgers along with losses to the PSUs, WISs and Iowas? You definitely win the battle but get slaughtered in the war.

Advertisement
Back