Randy Shannon vs Manny Diaz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Randy wasn't the "NFL factory," the University of Miami was a NFL factory. I guess in your mind Edge, C Port, Willis and Gore were "maximized" because of our scheme and Soldinger. If Randy was such a great commodity his career path after UM would not be what is is. Nice guy, great Cane, failed as a HC and now bounces around.
None of what you've typed has anything to do with the OP.

Wonderful the way we Cane fans are glad to tear down a past great like Shannon for no other reason than to exalt the new guy with a lesser resume.

To recap Shannon was a success because hey who wouldn't be successful with all those great players and even though Diaz wasn't that successful till the last couple years he's really charismatic and speaks well.

Hold on to your asses cause it's gonna be a bumpy ride.

Advertisement
None of what you've typed has anything to do with the OP.

Wonderful the way we Cane fans are glad to tear down a past great like Shannon for no other reason than to exalt the new guy with a lesser resume.

To recap Shannon was a success because hey who wouldn't be successful with all those great players and even though Diaz wasn't that successful till the last couple years he's really charismatic and speaks well.

Hold on to your asses cause it's gonna be a bumpy ride.
Do you struggle with comprehension?

I can relate to the OP concerns here. You can find me posting multiple times before and after the hire "Randy 2.0. " The fact is we don't have an apples to apples comparison of HC yet. So the debates of how Randy botched as HC are immaterial.

All I want to see from Manny is improvement over our last hires, which is what I also wanted from Richt. That's why I hated the chant of "he'll never win us a National Championship" because there was a lot of room for improvement before that bench mark.

I didn't like the Diaz hire. To me it's a high ceiling, low floor hire. But to say he's Shannon is just all kinds of dumb. Shannon never had a high ceiling.

Diaz's thinking lends itself to being a coach. His play calling at times can get a little "too cute" on particular plays. But from a macro, overall program standpoint, we need to be "too cute." We aren't Bama. We need to be constantly looking for inefficiencies in the football market place, and trying to exploit them to gain a competitive advantage.
That is Diaz's entire idea. He's an analytic, forward thinking coach. You knew what kind of offense he was going to want to run, without ever needing to hear him say a word about it. Because since you knew "A" about him, you knew "B" had to follow. And you can do that right down the line.
That, in theory, is exactly what we want at this program. Whether it works in practice, I don't know. Shannon, in "theory," was never what we wanted. He was just purely a Miami guy. There's nothing about his approach to the game that would ever lead anybody to think, "He's going to make a really good head coach someday."

This is like saying, "What's the difference between Billy Beane and Hawk Harrelson? Neither really did much as a baseball player. What's the difference between signing one to run your organization compared to the other?"

Advertisement
Somebody explain to me how Diaz is a more attractive hire than Shannon was in 2006. What am I missing?

The similarities:

-Both Miami DCs
-Both "Miami guys" (a meaningless quality)
-Both immediately replaced a failed head coach
-Neither had any head coaching experience (let alone P5 head coaching experience)
-Neither had any other P5 HC offers when hired

The differences:

-Randy won NCs as both a player and coach at Miami, Manny did not
-Randy had a reputation for being a strong recruiter in the area, Manny does not
-Randy coached multiple first round picks at Miami, Manny has not
here is the biggest difference diaz is passionate about Miami football he like u is a fan randy wasn't passionate was laid back was cold at times. to diaz this is his dream job I know everyone says it but diaz means it. randy played 1 d that's it diaz is scheme versatile with multi looks randy just played man to man diaz will outscheme people. randy hired cheapest guys could get diaz is trying to find the best staff he possibly can.

Shannon made Richard Gordon return kicks - that would be like Brevin Jordan returning kicks. Give me a break. Shannon was a worse coach than Coker and Golden. Shannon's number 1 recruiting class were a bunch of busts from one single school, and not one ever had a successful NFL career. Talk about lack of player development. The HC is the leader of a team, and one of the main requirements is someone who commands respect from his players. IMO that is Diaz's strongest trait, and Shannon's weakest trait. Shannon wouldn't allow kids to wear hats inside, and had a number of dumb rules. I remember speaking to Steve Walsh about him after his first year and he said his rules are hampering the players and making them feel like they are in a convent, and not on a football team. Shannon had zero passion and it showed. The only similarity between the two is that they were both successful DC's for Miami.

Advertisement
Many Diaz makes more adjustments in one game than Randy Shannon has made in his entire career. He's still running the bland man under cover 2 defense 99% of the game at UCF. Yes, that worked 20 years ago with a team full of NFL players but in 2018, at UCF, it's garbage. Manny's defenses have only gotten better over the years, Randy's best defenses were two decades ago and have only gotten worse. One coach identifies problems and adjusts to fix them, one just does the same thing over and over.

Somebody explain to me how Diaz is a more attractive hire than Shannon was in 2006. What am I missing?

The similarities:

-Both Miami DCs
-Both "Miami guys" (a meaningless quality)
-Both immediately replaced a failed head coach
-Neither had any head coaching experience (let alone P5 head coaching experience)
-Neither had any other P5 HC offers when hired

The differences:

-Randy won NCs as both a player and coach at Miami, Manny did not
-Randy had a reputation for being a strong recruiter in the area, Manny does not
-Randy coached multiple first round picks at Miami, Manny has not

Lol.

Golden was also a great talker.

Yes he was. The pro Manny posts are often a variation of this....passion, charisma, energy. All things Randy obviously lacked. But all qualities that Golden had (at least he had them when he took over here). So we now have a HC with Randy's resume and Golden's mouth game.

Good luck to us all.

Advertisement
Advertisement
oh please, they scored 17 points in regulation!
Dude had 91 yards!!!! I was there, it was ridiculous.
Same w 4th and 15
Or better yet why put true freshman on their **** best wr w game on the line
Radio = dumbass
Cost us a NC that’s for sure

Yes he was. The pro Manny posts are often a variation of this....passion, charisma, energy. All things Randy obviously lacked. But all qualities that Golden had (at least he had them when he took over here). So we now have a HC with Randy's resume and Golden's mouth game.

Good luck to us all.

Nah, I don't care about speeches or charisma or any of that rah-rah BS. I care about coaching decisions and adaptability. In three years as DC at Miami, I've seen Manny adjust his defense mid game at least a dozen times and fix what might not have been working early in the game. I've seen him alter his scheme to better combat the types of offenses they see on a week in/week out basis. I've seen him scrap certain ideas that weren't working and shift to other ideas that may better suit the situation. I've seen him make drastic changes to his over aggressive style that cost him his job at Texas. The man is on the cutting edge of defensive philosophy and analytics. Does this automatically make him a great head coach? Nobody knows for sure but he's head and shoulders better and more prepared than Randy Shannon is or ever was. Literally the ONLY thing they have in common is that they were Miami DCs who got promoted to HC.

Dude had 91 yards!!!! I was there, it was ridiculous.
Same w 4th and 15
Or better yet why put true freshman on their **** best wr w game on the line
Radio = dumbass
Cost us a NC that’s for sure
eh, if we are really being honest with each other not being able to punch it in from the 1 and some change cost us the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back