Randy Shannon vs Manny Diaz

Status
Not open for further replies.

tcgrad1014

All-ACC
Somebody explain to me how Diaz is a more attractive hire than Shannon was in 2006. What am I missing?

The similarities:

-Both Miami DCs
-Both "Miami guys" (a meaningless quality)
-Both immediately replaced a failed head coach
-Neither had any head coaching experience (let alone P5 head coaching experience)
-Neither had any other P5 HC offers when hired

The differences:

-Randy won NCs as both a player and coach at Miami, Manny did not
-Randy had a reputation for being a strong recruiter in the area, Manny does not
-Randy coached multiple first round picks at Miami, Manny has not

Advertisement
Somebody explain to me how Diaz is a more attractive hire than Shannon was in 2006. What am I missing?

The similarities:

-Both Miami DCs
-Neither had any head coaching experience (let alone P5 head coaching experience)

The differences:

-Randy had a reputation for being a strong recruiter in the area, Manny does not

Randy had a rep as a strong recruiter? False
Randy coached multiple first rounders? Yeah a squirrel could have

The similarities:

-Both Miami DCs

The differences:

51004F1F-FAD9-4ED5-ADEC-F38A0374B25A.gif

24717068-4F9C-4A26-9E4C-91FF0F214C12.gif

Last edited:
Advertisement
Listen to Randy speak for 5 minutes and then listen to Diaz speak for 5 minutes and that will answer all your questions.

I understand that but what scheme is Manny’s signature schtick? Shannon was about the Monte Kiffin cover 2 scheme and for example Jim Schwartz was a zone blitz kind of DC.

See this is my knock on Manny what did he do differently to separate himself than the other DCs outside of Dorito? They all utilized the typical downhill aggressive Miami approach so if true why is Manny viewed as some film room wizard and innovator?

Listen to Randy speak for 5 minutes and then listen to Diaz speak for 5 minutes and that will answer all your questions.

This. Randy Shannon has the intelligence of a shoe. Great guy and a Cane through and through, but he’s not cut out for a HC position at any P5 school. That should have been clear to the decision makers before he was hired.

Advertisement

The similarities:

-Both Miami DCs

The differences:

The answer is decision making. Diaz continually modified his defense based on actual results. Diaz got DC offers after being fired as a DC at Texas. It took Shannon 7 years and he is at UCF.

I understand that but what scheme is Manny’s signature schtick? Shannon was about the Monte Kiffin cover 2 scheme and for example Jim Schwartz was a zone blitz kind of DC.

See this is my knock on Manny what did he do differently to separate himself than the other DCs outside of Dorito? They all utilized the typical downhill aggressive Miami approach so if true why is Manny viewed as some film room wizard and innovator?

Striker position?

Shannon was a terrible HC.

Just to start, his staff was terrible, he didnt care about S&C, and he only recruited hard for 1 year. Shannon was more interested in banging the womens track coach than he was in running a competent football program

Everything you wrote is completely irrelevant to my question.

Advertisement
Shannon hired Pat Nix from GT because he constantly gave him fits...with Reggie f'n Ball at QB

and Megatron lol

but yeah. getting outschemed by Nix is unacceptable

Shannon's D wasn't aggressive at all. We rarely blitzed or played any exotic packages.

It worked great with overwhelming talent. When that talent started to slip it got exposed.

The answer is decision making. Diaz continually modified his defense based on actual results. Diaz got DC offers after being fired as a DC at Texas. It took Shannon 7 years and he is at UCF.

Manny's defense looked the same to me for the 3 years. They looked great when they could out athlete the opposition (which was the vast majority of our games because the schedule was horrid), and got exposed against half way decent offenses.

Advertisement
Everything you wrote is completely irrelevant to my question.

You seem to want to say Manny will fail because Shannon did.

I explained some of Shannon's errors, errors that Manny is unlikely to make.

So I'm not sure what your point even is here

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back