Randy Shannon vs Manny Diaz

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP I believe Shannon would've succeeded if he had the money to hire a successful staff. That's the main difference now.

No amount of money could have saved Shannon. I'll never get the fascination with him. We legit didnt even have a structured S&C program under him. I'd see guys lifting on their own In the Wellness Center.

He was incompetent in every aspect of being a HC

Advertisement
Hiring Randy wasn't the problem. It's what he did when he was coach was the problem

We didn't even have a legit weight program. Shannon drove us into the ground
Somebody explain to me how Diaz is a more attractive hire than Shannon was in 2006. What am I missing?

The similarities:

-Both Miami DCs
-Both "Miami guys" (a meaningless quality)
-Both immediately replaced a failed head coach
-Neither had any head coaching experience (let alone P5 head coaching experience)
-Neither had any other P5 HC offers when hired

The differences:

-Randy won NCs as both a player and coach at Miami, Manny did not
-Randy had a reputation for being a strong recruiter in the area, Manny does not
-Randy coached multiple first round picks at Miami, Manny has not
Manny has more of a sample size to go off of.
Randy only had 1 DC job which he was handed a defense 3 deep NFL talent at every position.
So get your revisionist bull**** outta here.

Manny has more of a sample size to go off of.
Randy only had 1 DC job which he was handed a defense 3 deep NFL talent at every position.
So get your revisionist bull**** outta here.

He was DC up until 2006 where we still had a very strong defense. We have to quit discrediting the man. Y’all still talking about the man intelligence? I mean as a first time HC with limited support from the school he still fared better in year 3 than his 2 experienced successors who were instant media darlings with more support from the school.

Somebody explain to me how Diaz is a more attractive hire than Shannon was in 2006. What am I missing?

The similarities:

-Both Miami DCs
-Neither had any head coaching experience (let alone P5 head coaching experience)

The differences:

-Randy had a reputation for being a strong recruiter in the area, Manny does not

One of the biggest differences is the resources available. We are about to hire an OC for around the same money or more than Randy was making as HC. Randy was a good coach for defense. Many people aren’t cut out to be HCs. Let’s hope Manny is. Manny seems to have laser focus on what he wants to do, just have to make it happen.

The similarities:

-Both Miami DCs

The differences:

Great points you make, also had you hired Shannon he brings
C.Bell and more than likely gets you Seider for sure as they were at Florida together as well as a staff that would be more impactful in recruiting S.Florida. If Shannon doesn’t get it done down the line revisit Diaz after he’s gotten a few years experience as an HC

Advertisement
Herr derr Randy coached dem defenses and Manny coached dem defenses, same same her der

Consider the simple sideline camera intensity shot:

One had a perpetual Deer in the Headlights look - The other usually had the Eye of the Tiger look.

One looked like prey; the other looked like predator

Hiring Randy wasn't the problem. It's what he did when he was coach was the problem

We didn't even have a legit weight program. Shannon drove us into the ground
Yes, actually hiring Randy was a big problem. We were just a few years removed from back to back national championship games (yeah I know, PI my ***) and there were much better options available. Shannon never wanted the job, and he was part of the regime that drove the Ferrari into the ditch. He should not have been rewarded with the keys to the program at that point in time. That was a lazy hire at best, and at worst a cheap PR stunt to show the CFB world how woke we were.

He was DC up until 2006 where we still had a very strong defense. We have to quit discrediting the man. Y’all still talking about the man intelligence? I mean as a first time HC with limited support from the school he still fared better in year 3 than his 2 experienced successors who were instant media darlings with more support from the school.
Randy's defenses regressed each year that he was a DC.
Guys like Petrino at the time owned his defense due to him hardly ever adjusting.. He was extremely simple minded with the defense thinking he can simply out talent everyone.. Well that wasn't the case as we all saw... That mindset carried over when he was made HC.
Simplicity is what he stood for.. He was a simple man with a simple mind. He offered nothing from an innovation standpoint.. He wasn't aggressive.
He sold those that hired him and a sector of the fanbase that his ability to recruit the local talent would overcome any coaching deficiencies.. Well it didn't.. Time for you all to admit it and move on..

Advertisement
Guys like Petrino at the time owned his defense due to him hardly ever adjusting.. He was extremely simple minded with the defense thinking he can simply out talent everyone.. Well that wasn't the case as we all saw... That mindset carried over when he was made HC.
Simplicity is what he stood for.. He was a simple man with a simple mind. He offered nothing from an innovation standpoint.. He wasn't aggressive.
He sold those that hired him and a sector of the fanbase that his ability to recruit the local talent would overcome any coaching deficiencies.. Well it didn't.. Time for you all to admit it and move on..

Admit what? That he was a good DC? He fielded strong defenses from 01-07. Y’all say he only did well with Butch’s recruits but those recruits from 00&01 were not there in 2007. Bringing up Petrino means nothing. Up until this year, Petrino was embarrassing everyone. All many of us are saying is that RS wasn’t a bad DC. You can make claims on being innovative or not but his defenses were usually strong. Is he the best DC? No. Is he solid to good? Yes

In my opinion, he’s at the right school and conference right now.

Pull the defensive stats under Randy before you pass your opinion off as fact...

No amount of money could have saved Shannon. I'll never get the fascination with him. We legit didnt even have a structured S&C program under him. I'd see guys lifting on their own In the Wellness Center.

He was incompetent in every aspect of being a HC
But Fedora sucked because he was simply burnt out though right?

Advertisement
Dude had 91 yards!!!! I was there, it was ridiculous.
Same w 4th and 15
Or better yet why put true freshman on their **** best wr w game on the line
Radio = dumbass
Cost us a NC that’s for sure

And they still only scored 17 points. On the the first 4th down, Jenkins clearly pushed off and the second one, well we know that was a bull **** call. Everyone seems to give Chud a pass though, don't they. 😏

Advertisement
Excessive Bumping

The similarities:

-Both Miami DCs

The differences:

IDK if Diaz will work out or not. But I’m not at all pleased with how the university hired him without doing a coaching search beforehand.

Shannon was hired because about 300 guys turned the UM job down. I’m don’t think that Shannon was even a candidate when Coker was first fired, given that Coker was allowed to coach the MPC Computers Bowl. This resulted in an awkward situation where Coker was coaching the bowl game while the man he’d knew would replace him was the DC. Presumably Miami would have thought of how awkward this situation would be if Shannon had been a HC candidate in late November.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back