Radio Shannon finished 9-4 and ranked in the top 20...

Nope. Try again. Most embarrassing moment in UM history was under Shannon. That was the true day UM died and everyone was there to watch. Richt is just the caretaker pumping us full of embalming fluid.
It wasn't Shannon's fault that particular game was the last at the OB, blame Shalala...

Advertisement
Shannon had Seantrel Henderson and Orlando Franklin at the tackles, Tyler Horn at center, Leonard Hankerson and Travis Benjamin at wide receiver, Mike James and Lamar Miller at running back. He also had Bosher kicking field goals.

That makes EIGHT rock solid to Pro Bowl caliber NFL players to put up points on offense yet we scored 24,17,19,17,20 and 17 in our five losses.

He never had to deal with decreased scholarship numbers and only had 4-5 commits for the next season the day he was fired because he burned so many bridges in Dade County.

Things are tough right now but Shannon was a total disaster.
Folden and Richt had / got just as much talent on the OLine as Shannon, the ONLY difference is Shannon had Jeff Stoutland whereas Folden had washed up Keyhole and Richt currently employs a bum that was let go by Va Tech! Let's not talk about talent period. We lost recruits after Shannon got fired because...he got fired! See Bridgewater and Loiusville's entire roster. Don't forget who Shannon had to play at qb his first season, and the fact that he had to play TWO freshmen in year 2 at qb...

No it wouldnt...cause 18 has a crap QB but can scramble and a capable TE......2 things that Shannon still does not know how to stop
I love how some of yall still barking about Shannon's bowl game against Wisky, as if it was worse than Richt's performance against Wisky lol

His team isn't as good, experienced or deep as Shannon's was. He had a far better QB situation with Jacory, despite his flaws, than Richt had with Rosier.

Back then we were still an elite destination only a few years removed from fielding the greatest team ever. Yet at the end of his fourth year Shannon had only a handful of recruits committed. Today recruits only know we've been average to bad their entire lives and the thought of leaving S Florida or the state is now commonplace. There was no Bama or Clemson to steal kids, it was almost always one of the big three.

Richt needs to make changes. He has to get an OC and give him free reign. But it was unfixable under Shannon. We'll see what changes RIcht makes. If he doesn't he'll end up like the rest of them. IF he does, then we can judge his entire tenure.
My point exactly for creating this thread. Look at all the excuses you're making for Richt lol

Advertisement
Lmao bruh u just answered the hypethetic opening statement.. randy didn’t get fired for a 7-5 season..he got fired because he wasn’t a good “GM”. There was absolutely no excitement around the program In his last year. I was at that USF game. You think our QB room rn is terrible. In year 4 of RS we had a room with . Harris, whipple, and a tru Fresh Morris. Andrew Smith and Cain was starting on D. There was only one reason I wanted randy to stay at that time. And that was so we could hold on to teddy..then u had the sanctions coming up. There’s no doubt that played a huge part in why we parted ways with Shannon and wanted to wipe the slate clean
Shannon was a scapegoat. He was the ONLY one that tried to stop Shapiro. You seen the U2 documentary! Lol

That 09 was dominate too you? Best wins were against a pre-season overranked GT at home. OU at home with Bradford hurt..and loss to a sorry Clemson team at home. Man handled by wisky...no. That Miami team would not “blowout” a healthy 2018 team..while I typed this Jacory just threw pick number 3
Shannon never lost to Duke though, did he?

Advertisement
...what ever you think of this team..if you think Shannon’s staff would out coach this staff your mistakes..09 team would use all their TOS by the mid point of the 3rd quarter. J12 would throw at least 3 picks. And he’d get harassed by 97, 9 and 99...and I said a full healthy 18 squad. That means 31, 82, and young are playing...idk who wins but I do know it wouldn’t be a blowout because of 18s D. If it came down to field position/ST I’d give the edge to 09..but I think 12 of 09 and Shannon would keep the game close..if I had to pick a score 28-24 either way
No way 09 would lose to a team that just lost to Duke, nuff said...

You think randy Shannon is a better coach than MR..? You do remember how whipple ball ended..I’ve neev seen a coach use all his TOs before the end of the 3rd quarter as much as randy..but really if you think randy Shannon is a better HC than Mark Richt Ima have you in my prayers bro
But he never lost to Duke or a 4 win Pitt team...

...in his 3rd year of his one and only head coaching job , and was fired the following year for finishing 7-5 . He didn't get a 5th year like Folden nor was he granted the opportunity to make changes the way Richt may possibly get to do. He had less experience than both the ****TINY LION and the DUMB DEACON and was definitely making a whole lot less along with his assistants. Point is why did the inexperienced RADIO have to go whereas all the more experienced DUMB DEACON has to do is hire better assistants and all is forgiven? Just asking?...

Onion got fired at the right time, but didn’t they give him an extension right before they fired him too? Coker and Golden both should have fired two years earlier than they were. Mark has shown clear signs of sucking and give your son a premier job with zero credentials means you better outperform. Neither did so I say can them now. James will not do it. I only hope is the President stepping in.

Shannon never lost to Duke though, did he?
Yeah because Duke was horrible while he was there..He’d get out coached by cutcliff no doubt. This isn’t your dads Duke Fb program..he loss to USF at home lol..he loss to terrible UVA. Loss at home to Clemson when they was clemsoning lol..with a veteran roster he went 5-7..u remember the last game in the orange bowl

Advertisement
Richt career record: 169-63 (.728)
Shannon career record: 29-25 (.537)

That's why Richt gets more leash. I just hope this isn't a repeat of Bowden and Paterno.

Advertisement
Frankly we can be more patient with Richt given his experience and the fact that after 2 previous failed coaches this program needs some semblance of stability.
Shannon was a gamble that admin knew wasn't going to pay off.

This thread is like asking what smells worse: a pile of dog **** or a pile of horse ****. Does it really matter? At the end of the day you’re smelling ****.

Advertisement
Back