Radakovich official

I've said it on other threads, I'll say it again.

I don't think Phil Knight is a petty man. He didn't terminate the F$U contract because they signed Taggart. And I think he has always known that Mario might someday leave for Miami. I really do not believe that ANY of this was a surprise to Phil Knight. Random Oregon fans? Sure. They think that "facilities" or "money" or "fan support" was so magical that it would overcome everything else with Mario. Go back and watch that man's introductory press conference at UM. He loves Miami.

Now, let's also take this into account. Phil Knight will not live forever. But let's say that he is still running the show 5 years from now. And let's say that Miami is on top of the world again, kicking ***, taking names, and expanding the trophy case at Hecht. WHY WOULDN'T PHIL KNIGHT WANT TO STEAL THE NEW ADIDAS CASH COW? Come on, guys, you think this guy is going to be so salty at losing a coach FIVE YEARS AGO that he wouldn't want to put a dagger into the heart of adidas by stealing Miami back?

Not worried. Win games, everyone's gonna want us to wear their shoes, even Zips.

Great points. I dont know PK's MO. I wouldnt put it past a billionaire to give up on or block a good deal just to ***** someone they felt did him dirty. But yeah, you would think he would have known this was the place Mario would have gone too if the opportunity presented it. Bringing a great brand in/blocking a competitor at the same time has more value if you are not petty and spiteful.

Advertisement
Great get.

Interesting how all the money for such contracts have now been made public as for so many years, and perhaps always, UM never disclosed salaries/contracts.
public universities have to disclose the contract amounts, private ones don’t

Advertisement
Rell when does ******* fanatics mark down anything?? I hate those ********. That site used to be so good.

U right; Lol. They discounted the face mask. Lol.

I should’ve said ****’s, or The Adidas website site. Fanatics be on some bull chit. I just bought a Bears jersey, throwback, and that chit was expensive af. Saw the same chit in the mall at a sports apparel store powered by Lids for $80 cheaper. Lol.

Now a stadium at tropical park, men's soccer team, fire Gino DiMare, work on succession plan for coach L, to offset the addition of a men's soccer team (title IX) add women's gymnastics or softball, and modernize the football locker room and player's lounge. Get to work, Rad.
Sounds too logical

Advertisement
This @Waterbury Cane

This is y I kept saying “for all the ‘up front $’ Blake has brought in, I can’t tell u the amount of $ lost on the back end.” Plus, the Adidas merch from us is not moving, hence all the marked down prices from all partnership detail like ****’s, Fanatics, etc.

Ppl focus sooooo much on up front money, which is fine, I get it, but u have to see the entire picture of a contact. As an example, UCLA’s contract is less than UA’s deal, but it’s projected by year 2 they’ll make up that difference, & by yr 3, they’ll have a more lucrative contact; why? B/c Nike ate 41% of the debt from UA, + the merchandise royalty % UCLA will be getting. The bookstore sold out immediately, & b/c UCLA is an international brand, Nike’s reach internationally is far greater than Adidas. So any Nike/Jordan Brand UCLA T-shirt sold, even if it’s just a B on it, UCLA gets bank off of it whether it’s sold domestically or internationally. B/c UCLA has a high population of foreign students, let’s just say it’s a good deal for them. Plus, it helps w/ b-ball recruiting & perception (per their AD’s words)
Ahh, almost missed this. You put a space in my name :)

This is great perspective and should give anyone on this board reading this that have to do any level of negotiations some perspective and food for thought. I spent a lot of time the past few years retooling and coaching my company on different but similar concepts with how we view our contracts when we take on a new client.

Per your point in your other post, the longevity of the deal is concerning. Unless 10 years is the norm in this biz, that was super risky at the time and here we are at the halfway mark, Adidas will be happy and we will get the brown end of the stick. College sports, particularly football is an appreciating entertainment industry. It was very apparent 5 years ago, stadiums were getting bigger, facilities getting tricked out, coaching contracts spiking, Conference channels being launched etc. There was no sign this had peaked or was in decline. Apparel sales were most likely going to somewhat follow this trend. Someone must have shown Blake a graph of this LOL.

Smart move by UCLA. What is also concerning, and maybe you or @TheOriginalCane can educate me, is how was this deal signed off. Was Blake given full authority on this? You would think if a guy, say like Joe Echevarria, had stuck his nose in this, being the businessman that he is, would have hit the brakes on this and seen that it was not the best deal or structure and needed to get back to the negotiating table.

His new title: vice president and director of athletics.

President Julio Frenk announced that Radakovich will report directly to Frenk and serve as a member of his senior leadership team

“I am so grateful to President Frenk and the University’s Board of Trustees for this incredible opportunity,” said Radakovich. “Their commitment to Miami Athletics’ comprehensive pursuit of excellence and championships is what brought me back to Miami. As a unified Hurricane family—students, alumni, donors, and fans—there is nothing that we cannot accomplish. We are going to set the bar high and jump over it.”
Now I get why he allegedly got such a HUGE raise from his $850k plus per year…dual title, with VP being one of them.

He hit the pre-retirement MF-ing jackpot!

UM

Advertisement
Ahh, almost missed this. You put a space in my name :)

This is great perspective and should give anyone on this board reading this that have to do any level of negotiations some perspective and food for thought. I spent a lot of time the past few years retooling and coaching my company on different but similar concepts with how we view our contracts when we take on a new client.

Per your point in your other post, the longevity of the deal is concerning. Unless 10 years is the norm in this biz, that was super risky at the time and here we are at the halfway mark, Adidas will be happy and we will get the brown end of the stick. College sports, particularly football is an appreciating entertainment industry. It was very apparent 5 years ago, stadiums were getting bigger, facilities getting tricked out, coaching contracts spiking, Conference channels being launched etc. There was no sign this had peaked or was in decline. Apparel sales were most likely going to somewhat follow this trend. Someone must have shown Blake a graph of this LOL.

Smart move by UCLA. What is also concerning, and maybe you or @TheOriginalCane can educate me, is how was this deal signed off. Was Blake given full authority on this? You would think if a guy, say like Joe Echevarria, had stuck his nose in this, being the businessman that he is, would have hit the brakes on this and seen that it was not the best deal or structure and needed to get back to the negotiating table.

Man; for whatever reason, when I “@“ u, no names was popping up, so I just typed it out. Lol.

Unfortunately, that part I do not know. From all accounts, Blake was a yes man, but moving on his own. I’m going to assume he was entrusted w/ this.

To further ur point, even UCLA signed an 8 yr deal w/ Nike. UL signed a 10 yr deal w/ Adidas. Clemson’s deal is 10, etc, etc. Most of your sponsorship deals are 8-10, w/ some being as short as 6. When Michigan moved on from Nike to Adidas, It was an 8 yr deal. You want to keep urself pliable.

Of course I wasn’t there, but it’s like when I look over an insurance contact & my clients used to state, “Company A offered me this, and Company B offered me that at this premium; can you match it?” On the surface, it would like a better deal, but then all these hidden clauses that weren’t accounted for or readily viewable since many ppl don’t read “terms & conditions” fine prints, actually made the deal worst. My fiduciary responsibility is to thoroughly explain the pros & cons. Often ppl would just look at the $, and when something happens, they’re like “but I didn’t know this or that.”

The Adidas contract stated we would be the highest compensated team in both our state & The ACC. Basically #1 in priority for our conference. The upfront $ looked good; but I believe there was some sort of loop hole to allow Adidas to renegotiate w/ currently branded schools despite conference affiliation, and the royalty $ was subpar. (Rumor from a friend, but again, I’m not privy to our contract, besides knowing the merchandise language.)

Also, if anyone wonders why back in the day, u wouldn’t see Nike all in our background at every single press conference, vs The University “having” to show Adidas everywhere, it’s NOT b/c they are showing a united front, it’s their marketing strategy that’s forced upon schools b/c they are the ones thirsty for attention. I’m attaching a Miami of Ohio contract & notice the language. No doubt in my mind, our contract have very similar if not one off language.

You would break it [AD job] down into the management of internal and external functions.

Internal includes leading and managing the internal departments and their functions, which includes the team activities (all the coaches and the teams they coach), Athletics administration (all of the resources, equipment, uniforms, facilities management needed for the teams to practice and play), Sports Information (all of the communications to the external world, such as the website, press releases, interviews with press, etc.), Academic support (meetings with players, tutoring, monitoring of academic progress, helping student-athletes to schedule classes and graduate), "Development" (fund-raising efforts that support both operating activities and capital expenditure activities, and interaction with the Hurricane Club), Ticket Sales (both for home games and organizing the sale and distribution for away games), Strength and Conditioning (hiring personnel and maintaining the various workout areas and medical staff to deal with injuries).

External includes the oversight of contractual and other arrangements dealing with the scheduling of games and competitions, handling the interactions with the ACC conference, overseeing TV and radio broadcast relationships, particularly for games that are not picked up under the ACC contractual arrangements (secondary and tertiary arrangements that may involve lesser media outlets such as Sunshine, Sports Channel Florida, local radio, etc.), dealing with any shoe contracts, apparel contracts, merchandising and sales arrangements, handling our external facilities arrangements (particularly with Hard Rock Stadium).

Oh, and in case it wasn't obvious, working with UM on the budget, and occasionally giving interviews to the local and national press.

If I left anything out, I apologize and people are welcome to add on, but I think that is a pretty good starting point.
And higher spending authority, to go with all this influx of new money…

Advertisement
Now I get why he allegedly got such a HUGE raise from his $850k plus per year…dual title, with VP being one of them.

He hit the pre-retirement MF-ing jackpot!

UM
no surprise ... this guy got his MBA from the U of Miami school of business ! he is a very sharp businessman.

U right; Lol. They discounted the face mask. Lol.

I should’ve said ****’s, or The Adidas website site. Fanatics be on some bull chit. I just bought a Bears jersey, throwback, and that chit was expensive af. Saw the same chit in the mall at a sports apparel store powered by Lids for $80 cheaper. Lol.
Return it !

Advertisement
Back