Radakovich official

That picture is funny.

AD or the next host of The Price is Right?

Welcome aboard Dan!

Advertisement
Ahh, almost missed this. You put a space in my name :)

This is great perspective and should give anyone on this board reading this that have to do any level of negotiations some perspective and food for thought. I spent a lot of time the past few years retooling and coaching my company on different but similar concepts with how we view our contracts when we take on a new client.

Per your point in your other post, the longevity of the deal is concerning. Unless 10 years is the norm in this biz, that was super risky at the time and here we are at the halfway mark, Adidas will be happy and we will get the brown end of the stick. College sports, particularly football is an appreciating entertainment industry. It was very apparent 5 years ago, stadiums were getting bigger, facilities getting tricked out, coaching contracts spiking, Conference channels being launched etc. There was no sign this had peaked or was in decline. Apparel sales were most likely going to somewhat follow this trend. Someone must have shown Blake a graph of this LOL.

Smart move by UCLA. What is also concerning, and maybe you or @TheOriginalCane can educate me, is how was this deal signed off. Was Blake given full authority on this? You would think if a guy, say like Joe Echevarria, had stuck his nose in this, being the businessman that he is, would have hit the brakes on this and seen that it was not the best deal or structure and needed to get back to the negotiating table.

At the time that the adidas deal was announced, it was January 2015. Julio Frenk was announced as the new UM President in April 2015. If you want complete honesty, it was just terrible timing. I don't think Beta Blake was specifically empowered to go out and do the deal unilaterally, but from a Presidential level, one was resigning and the other had not yet been hired.

Having said that...again...who was the HEAD of the BOT Athletics Subcommittee in 2015? Hmmmm....

I'll repeat what I've said a bunch of times, the BOT may mean well, but it is filled with people who do not have the background or expertise to oversee major P5 Athletics. We need a hybrid oversight committee made up of a FEW members of the BOT, but also made up of UM alums with a background in athletic performance, athletic coaching, and/or athletic administration.

I have no idea what’s going on. I see a little kid flipping me off. Not what you and I would do to each other - I’m legit missing the joke.
Dude when you posted “Jeez we have adults all over the place again”, I thought I’d mess with you by posting a child flipping you a bird. So....
Please take me off your naughty list. Lol

E5E61339-A85E-4363-9EBA-8CD59E981213.jpeg

Dude when you posted “Jeez we have adults all over the place again”, I thought I’d mess with you by posting a child flipping you a bird. So....
Please take me off your naughty list. Lol
You’re not on the naughty list. I knew it was some joke that went over my head. I was genuinely confused. Lol

Advertisement
Man; for whatever reason, when I “@“ u, no names was popping up, so I just typed it out. Lol.

Unfortunately, that part I do not know. From all accounts, Blake was a yes man, but moving on his own. I’m going to assume he was entrusted w/ this.

To further ur point, even UCLA signed an 8 yr deal w/ Nike. UL signed a 10 yr deal w/ Adidas. Clemson’s deal is 10, etc, etc. Most of your sponsorship deals are 8-10, w/ some being as short as 6. When Michigan moved on from Nike to Adidas, It was an 8 yr deal. You want to keep urself pliable.

Of course I wasn’t there, but it’s like when I look over an insurance contact & my clients used to state, “Company A offered me this, and Company B offered me that at this premium; can you match it?” On the surface, it would like a better deal, but then all these hidden clauses that weren’t accounted for or readily viewable since many ppl don’t read “terms & conditions” fine prints, actually made the deal worst. My fiduciary responsibility is to thoroughly explain the pros & cons. Often ppl would just look at the $, and when something happens, they’re like “but I didn’t know this or that.”

The Adidas contract stated we would be the highest compensated team in both our state & The ACC. Basically #1 in priority for our conference. The upfront $ looked good; but I believe there was some sort of loop hole to allow Adidas to renegotiate w/ currently branded schools despite conference affiliation, and the royalty $ was subpar. (Rumor from a friend, but again, I’m not privy to our contract, besides knowing the merchandise language.)

Also, if anyone wonders why back in the day, u wouldn’t see Nike all in our background at every single press conference, vs The University “having” to show Adidas everywhere, it’s NOT b/c they are showing a united front, it’s their marketing strategy that’s forced upon schools b/c they are the ones thirsty for attention. I’m attaching a Miami of Ohio contract & notice the language. No doubt in my mind, our contract have very similar if not one off language.

You've got a look at the fine print. I took a look at that contract. I actually would have thought it would have been longer. LOL at some of the stuff in there. You are right. They basically have to jerk off to Adidas at every appearance and shove that logo down your throat. But I guess thats what adidas is in part paying for, exposure. I love how for an NCAA tem appearance (outside of BBall), they will give them basically a $1000 worth of Adidas merchandise, that probably cost them $200. Cheap motherfukers. NO ROYALTIES. Obviously its Miami Ohio, but this contract was interesting to look at. Thanks brother.

Advertisement
At the time that the adidas deal was announced, it was January 2015. Julio Frenk was announced as the new UM President in April 2015. If you want complete honesty, it was just terrible timing. I don't think Beta Blake was specifically empowered to go out and do the deal unilaterally, but from a Presidential level, one was resigning and the other had not yet been hired.

Having said that...again...who was the HEAD of the BOT Athletics Subcommittee in 2015? Hmmmm....

I'll repeat what I've said a bunch of times, the BOT may mean well, but it is filled with people who do not have the background or expertise to oversee major P5 Athletics. We need a hybrid oversight committee made up of a FEW members of the BOT, but also made up of UM alums with a background in athletic performance, athletic coaching, and/or athletic administration.
:100: That oversight subcommittee for Athletics is a no brainer. Need to have people in there both with deep pockets, people who care about sports, and people who actually played like Vilma, and some like you said with athletic administration awareness. Thats a good mix

Yeah the timing of that sucks. But still, that shouldnt be an excuse for lack of oversight and never an excuse for people who have their own agendas that dont completely have the school's best interest as Priority 1, 2, and 3.

I love the hire. We went from AMC Theater ticket boy to actual AD. I have one concern with Dan Radakovich: will his NFT drops be as dope as Blake's?

I love the hire. We went from AMC Theater ticket boy to actual AD. I have one concern with Dan Radakovich: will his NFT drops be as dope as Blake's?

Impossible. I might have just as many NFT e-mails in the past year...as I have had all other (non-ticket-related) UM Athletics e-mails for the past 5 years.

There’s not anyone who finds it alarming that this AD was hired after the football coach. When Mario was hired up until now it was a clown show. There was no one above Mario who knew anything about football. It seems like Mario’s taking friends’ advice on everything football related.

Last edited:
Advertisement
You've got a look at the fine print. I took a look at that contract. I actually would have thought it would have been longer. LOL at some of the stuff in there. You are right. They basically have to jerk off to Adidas at every appearance and shove that logo down your throat. But I guess thats what adidas is in part paying for, exposure. I love how for an NCAA tem appearance (outside of BBall), they will give them basically a $1000 worth of Adidas merchandise, that probably cost them $200. Cheap motherfukers. NO ROYALTIES. Obviously its Miami Ohio, but this contract was interesting to look at. Thanks brother.

Just perusing through Adidas contract language w/ UL back in 2017 this is a new language/escape clause they put in:

11. The following shall be added as Section 12.E. of the Agreement:
"(1) The parties agree that University will be an “elite adidas university program” when
compared to other adidas university programs measured by: (a) any ranking system
included in other adidas university program agreements; and (b) when University is
compared to other adidas university programs during each comparable Contract Year,
how much (i) cash is received during such Contract Year, (i) product is received during
such Contract Year, and (ili) marketing support is received during such Contract Year.

Here’s the kicker; if Adidas no longer deems you worthy of “elite” then U of L would have to negotiate with Adidas “to remedy” the issue. Nebraska just received the same clause. Also, interesting to note, Adidas went against its own conflict of interest when they gave UL that huge “conditional” contract. Jurich’s daughter works for Adidas as a brand manager. Lol.

Anyways, this is what I was trying to explain about the Michigan situation. Michigan was Adidas’ major coup. There was a honeymoon period where they just looked like the best partners, & then something just happened the last couple yrs of their contract. Now it makes sense; again, the fine prints of contracts are everything. I would love to see all the greater details of our contract. Just knowing the little things, Blake got blinded by the up front $$, the talk, & didn’t do his due diligence to make sure all what was verbal was penned contractually.

Just perusing through Adidas contract language w/ UL back in 2017 this is a new language/escape clause they put in:

11. The following shall be added as Section 12.E. of the Agreement:
"(1) The parties agree that University will be an “elite adidas university program” when
compared to other adidas university programs measured by: (a) any ranking system
included in other adidas university program agreements; and (b) when University is
compared to other adidas university programs during each comparable Contract Year,
how much (i) cash is received during such Contract Year, (i) product is received during
such Contract Year, and (ili) marketing support is received during such Contract Year.

Here’s the kicker; if Adidas no longer deems you worthy of “elite” then U of L would have to negotiate with Adidas “to remedy” the issue. Nebraska just received the same clause. Also, interesting to note, Adidas went against its own conflict of interest when they gave UL that huge “conditional” contract. Jurich’s daughter works for Adidas as a brand manager. Lol.

Anyways, this is what I was trying to explain about the Michigan situation. Michigan was Adidas’ major coup. There was a honeymoon period where they just looked like the best partners, & then something just happened the last couple yrs of their contract. Now it makes sense; again, the fine prints of contracts are everything. I would love to see all the greater details of our contract. Just knowing the little things, Blake got blinded by the up front $$, the talk, & didn’t do his due diligence to make sure all what was verbal was penned contractually.
Appreciate the education. Blake with another feather in his cap of things he did poorly around here. So glad that clown is gone.

Nooooooo!!!!! He’s running a 24 hour news service. The reporting must go on.

I mean Brock could certainly take the off-hours. Less energy and a very nighttime demeanor that can help with sleep issues.
I can't help to look at NYSOM like the Pet Cemetery flick... when the cat died, he resurrected as a monster... but NY has come back sort of straight... probably had some very effective therapy.

Advertisement
I can't help to look at NYSOM like the Pet Cemetery flick... when the cat died, he resurrected as a monster... but NY has come back sort of straight... probably had some very effective therapy.
Please for the love of God, refrain from asking/or discussing the type of therapy....

Advertisement
Back