Radakovich informs staff he’s coming to Miami

I hate to be a buzz kill, but what is his history of hiring and firing coaches? From what I understand, Dabo was already there when he was hired.

The twitter rumor is Rad was looking because Dabo is seriously considering dumping Clemson for Oklahoma and bringing Venables with him. Rad may want to get out of Dodge before the official fall of the Empire. lol
Doesn’t matter he built the water slide

Advertisement
Valid points. I just don't see hiring a guy with an offense that you know will never win a national title in this day and age. GT had won a NC in 1990 so when he hired Johnson it was only 16 years later. Georgia is a pretty hot bed for recruiting as well so I don't see it is too much different than where Miami is now. It's been 20 years since our last NC. If he hired the Army HC, this place would go ape$hit and deservedly so.
As a GA Southern alum I can tell you Paul Johnson was a living legend in GA after his GSU days. Hindsight you might say he ran a triple option that was out of date, but that was the best years GA Tech had since 1990. He owned us with that BS offense a few times.

GA is different than FL. Any elite talent usually goes to either UGA or Clemson. It isn't like FL. Tech couldn't recruit an elite kid in GA to save their life. GA Tech had a decent run while dealing with scraps.

The Paul Johnson hire at GA Tech was a lot more impressive than you're making it seem.

I've also drank a lot of bourbon tonight though so I could be speaking gibberish.

503A42CF-D7A3-4244-89F6-270BEAD2F1BD.jpeg

Advertisement
Valid. Maybe Rad thought the Paul Johnson offense would make GT competitive, and it did, for awhile. This was also in 2007, so 14 years ago. Maybe other coaches rejected job offers. Couldn’t tell you. Rad also fired Gailey after a 7-6 season that started well. So, he didn’t take too long to make a change when he saw fit.

No AD makes home run coaching hires every time. Miami needs a serious player who can rebuild/reset the entire department. Sounds like he’ll have money and has excelled at raising funds and building things.
Mario s•it the bed when he coached fiu but look at what he did at Oregon? I wouldn’t say hiring Johnson at gt was a mistake and what’s transformed under him at Clemson from facilities, to improvements in all sports, a dominant football team. If he’s coming here that is a huge deal. Stealing the AD from a sec money invested, dropping bags recruiting on par with Georgia/Bama and whos football team has become a top 5 program overall the last ten years, with two nattys won.

It’s a bigger deal imo stealing Clemsons AD that oversaw there Golden age then LSU taking nd’s hc who was at best there 3rd choice.

Advertisement
Radakovich has overseen 4 football division titles at GT during his 6 years as AD at GT. He has overseen 6 football division titles, 6 conference titles, and 2 national championships during his 10 years as AD at Clemson. Prior to GT he was a senior associate AD at LSU from 2001-2006 during the Saban era.

Man, don’t speak on facts, bro. Lol

He’s in the building too.
I've been at a social function for hours now liberally lubricated by adult beverages. Several insanely gorgeous Russian ladies in attendance, but I'm very partial to one Croatian hottie. I digress.

What did I miss pray tell?

- Radakovich the Impaler coming to Miami? Yes?

- A Highsmith taking a position in Hecht? Yes? /No?

- Word on HC for our Miami Hurricanes? Yes? / No?

- Frenk got "Thug Life" ink, on his neck, and a tear drop with little tiger paws in the droplet? Yes? / No?

I've been at a social function for hours now liberally lubricated by adult beverages. Several insanely gorgeous Russian ladies in attendance, but I'm very partial to one Croatian hottie. I digress.

What did I miss pray tell?

- Radakovich the Impaler coming to Miami? Yes?

- A Highsmith taking a position in Hecht? Yes? /No?

- Word on HC for our Miami Hurricanes? Yes? / No?

- Frenk got "Thug Life" ink, on his neck, and a tear drop with little tiger paws in the droplet? Yes? / No?
Yes. Get back to the Croatian. You’ll see no better sunrise in your lifetime than tomorrow’s.

Advertisement
Advertisement
I liked Mack Rhoades, too. Didn’t think he’d entertain leaving Baylor, though.

Rad supported Dabo and provided everything needed to help build a powerhouse. Money for facilities, administration, and coach staffing. Paid through the nose to keep a lot of assistants and coordinators longer than many programs. Dabo is not an X/O guru, he’s a CEO like we’d like Mario to become.

Four NC games in five seasons, 2 wins. I’d take that any day.

Clemson isn’t a BB school like UNC or Duke, maybe their fans want to be. I don’t follow BB so what do I know?

A few things…

1. If we’re paying $3MM for an AD, then that is ~2x Mack’s annual salary. I have trouble believing we actually pursued Mack at all if that is the case. Do you think Mack would be uninterested in that kind of raise?

2. As for Dan, not sure how much credit he should get for Clemson and their football program. He didn’t hire Dabo, in fact Dabo was well established at that point and already won the conference prior to his arrival.

In fact Clemson’s core coach staff, Brent Venables and Chad Morris were in place before his arrival.

3. What did Dan do for Clemson football and their on field track record/success. He has nothing to do with Dabo or their long time DC. Dabo has been running football for some time too. Tony Elliot was hired before Dan arrived. Jeff Scott too.

My guess is Dan, at best, supported Dabo because he couldn’t really real do anything to help and clearly Dabo knew what he was doing.

Look, he is light years better than Blake. There is no doubt about that. He will be a huge upgrade.

However, the most important thing he is going to do here is make this head coaching hire. One of the things most of us were looking for in an AD was a history of making good HC hires. Does Rad have that? IMO, no. It's not his fault that Dabo was already there. He was brought into a great situation. I'm just pointing out Miami is not Clemson. He's not walking into a situation like he had at Clemson.

My point is, if Miami will be paying $3M a year for the position which I understand is right at the top in all of college sports, why not go after the AD at Baylor or similar AD who has a strong history of coaching hires? Maybe they have?

Bingo. If we are paying $3MM/ year that is ~2x Mack Rhoades salary. He is the guy to get if you’re throwing around that kind of money. That guy has a track record of selecting coaches and direct impact of the on-field success.

Advertisement
Back