Quick review of TVD/Garcia at CCSt

I recall hearing during broadcast TVD was 0-4 in passes before Saturday's game. Just always seemed his processing was slow and he hold the ball too long when he entered a game.
He entered games when it was over. What's he had, like 11 snaps before yesterday?

Advertisement
We will be amazed at how much better this team will look on offense when we have a QB who can execute the offense. I have no dog in this game and I look forward to both youngsters fiercely competing to be QB 1.

Rewatched quickly all of the plays of each.

It played out as I had suspected. weak opponent, yes, but both QB's flashed. it's hard to judge the players under stress, since the opponent was so overmatched. although, on two or three plays, we had a couple OL doing their best to get the QB's killed.

looking at the tape of every pass play:

TVD owned the three best throws of the day. ......

1. the out to Restrepo from the mid hash, across the field. (that's a throw he's made before, in the spring game, so it's not a fluke. and it needs anticipation as well as arm. I noted that Lashlee never called for that same throw when Garcia was in. will review the tape again, but that's what I saw. I'm sure @Lance Roffers will verify in his review).

2. the TD pass to Wiggins on the 8 route. (it's a TD but/for wiggins. so, I'm calling it that. the throw was a laser beam. total dime)

3. the TD to Harley. on the half mesh in the end zone. (the route was a bit off on the part of bot wr's, so the room to the sideline shortened more than it was designed to have. TVD needed to thread it, and did).

Garcia had a couple good tosses. the TD to jacolby george was a really nice throw. that was his nicest toss by Garcia....

But overall, the three I mentioned from TVD were the best of the day.
I don't think Garcia's best throw was the one to George. Maybe the "prettiest," though I consider it a tick late. The toss on the move, while not a spiral, is a throw we need against evenly matched talent. See below:

Garcia throw.png

Throw was on a roll to the right, never settled feet, throw early and with anticipation. Didn't release it cleanly, but was sufficient to put the WR in an advantage.

The biggest disappointment to me is that we didn't show a passing game that will stand up once TVD and/or Garcia go against a P5 defense.

Virtually all the routes were single read; super-short routes or over the top routes. And we hit on them for a lot of big gains because our skill athletes are vastly superior to CCST's guys. But those weren't throws and routes that we're going to be able to make a living with against the rest of the ACC.

Our two new QB's need to learn to make the throws they'll need to make against P5 teams. Yesterday was a perfect opportunity to work on it. Instead we opted to showcase how much better our skill athletes on offense are to CCST's high school level back seven. The game was wasted an opportunity for our new QB's to work on the throws they're goining need to be able to make going forward.
I get that. While the game was fun, I found myself wishing for it to not be quite that easy on the QBs. The easy stuff was working way too well, too quickly. Can't count on housing dump-off passes for 80 yards in ACC play.

Advertisement
He entered games when it was over. What's he had, like 11 snaps before yesterday?
Small sample size, I know but still. If he entered games when it was over you were not facing other teams starters and they are typically in prevent. Did well yesterday.

As I heard someone mention that rpo that Garcia almost took to the house is a play that was available to King many times but for whatever reason never made consistently.

Garcia even seemed to delay pulling the ball which sold the handoff even more. King just didn't seem to have the instinct to run the rpo effectively.

I think with Garcia you will see Lashlee's offense run more effectively. Garcia is taller so the slants will be there too, where with King he could not see it develop well or if he tried to throw it the ball gets batted down.
I have made this point multiple times. King doesn't fool anyone on those read option plays. If he hands the ball off they all cave on the RB. If he keeps it they swarm him. Like I said there was a reason we had 1 game where 2 RBs were over 8 yards per carry. The bowl game with Perry playing most of it. Also quick slants are staples in RPO as LBs will bite alot on fake runs. These young QBs are better passers and used to this type of offense naturally. We will have to see v UVA and further on.

Manny will **** this up. Choose 1 and own it. I take TVD. Kid can make all the throws and I think understands check downs get 1st downs. I’m not sure where the “it” factor comes from with Garcia. He looks to want to look/force it downfield like King. He’ll get killed trying that with our OL. Move the god**** chains until the defense takes the short stuff away and then the field will open. Also, wtf happened to the middle of the field? It’s like watching Richt’s sandwich eating offense. That’s enough from me. Carry on…

Go Canes?

Advertisement
Take away the Brashard Smith 75 yd TD flip & the 83 yd Cam Harris screen for a TD, TVD stats look like this:

8/9 for 112 yards & 1 TD.

If he’s our starter for the rest of the season I think we go 7-5 best case scenario.

I’m not crowning Garcia, I just think this spells a lot of trouble for this offense moving forward.
If you take those out you need to put Wiggins drop in.

Advertisement
Advertisement
To the extreme, would be Peyton. That guy was almost a cyborg in how he dropped back each time.

Chad Henne is another robotic QB who was more average.

Ryan Mallet is the robotic guy who didn't really work out.
Carson Palmer immediately comes to mind when I think of TVD

Advertisement
Back