Quick review of TVD/Garcia at CCSt

when both get more snaps and the game slows down for them, they will both be very good in different ways

I get the sense that TVD is more paint-by-numbers, whatever the play is, that's what he'll do

Garcia a bit more of a free-lance type of artist, he can extend plays a bit more with his mobility and quick release

It will be interesting to see how they split snaps on Thursday

Advertisement
Which QB is going to be most effective behind a VERY erratic offensive line? Seems like Garcia is more mobile .. that might make him the better option in any game against a team with a stout defensive line. If he has to scramble he might be the best option as he seems to throw better on the run than TVD (who was sacked twice by Central Ct. State).

Robotic is the perfect word to describe TVD. Garcia seems to be more natural in his movements. @lance R Who is the best example of a robotic QB that's been really successful, college or pro's?
To the extreme, would be Peyton. That guy was almost a cyborg in how he dropped back each time.

Chad Henne is another robotic QB who was more average.

Ryan Mallet is the robotic guy who didn't really work out.

Good thoughts.

On the wiggins throw: funny how the crowd around here seems to think tvd is tentative and garcia a gunslinger. Because that throw takes a lot of moxie as well as arm talent. Not a toss for the faint of heart
Broadcast angle doesn't do that throw justice. It's a throw you have to stay tall and deliver with both pace and accuracy. It truly could not have been a better throw and tells you who understands that difficulty and who is a bit more of a stat reviewer.

I generally like to do my full watch before making a judgment because during games I just watch as a fan for fun. Then really notice things when I watch the film.

From the fan view, I thought both played well. TVD just did more things that translate on first watch. Also keep in mind I rated TVD higher than Garcia and have internal bias that can trick my eyes until I watch it with intent.

Which QB is going to be most effective behind a VERY erratic offensive line? Seems like Garcia is more mobile .. that might make him the better option in any game against a team with a stout defensive line. If he has to scramble he might be the best option as he seems to throw better on the run than TVD (who was sacked twice by Central Ct. State).
Sacks are honestly as much on the QB as they are the OL in the majority of cases. QB's who have high sack percentages tend to have high sack percentages with any OL and vice versa.

TVD does strike me as a guy who will get sacked more often and that is absolutely a criterion to consider.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Sacks are honestly as much on the QB as they are the OL in the majority of cases. QB's who have high sack percentages tend to have high sack percentages with any OL and vice versa.

TVD does strike me as a guy who will get sacked more often and that is absolutely a criterion to consider.
Will he learn to throw it away instead of take the sack is the question I have.

The biggest disappointment to me is that we didn't show a passing game that will stand up once TVD and/or Garcia go against a P5 defense.

Virtually all the routes were single read; super-short routes or over the top routes. And we hit on them for a lot of big gains because our skill athletes are vastly superior to CCST's guys. But those weren't throws and routes that we're going to be able to make a living with against the rest of the ACC.

Our two new QB's need to learn to make the throws they'll need to make against P5 teams. Yesterday was a perfect opportunity to work on it. Instead we opted to showcase how much better our skill athletes on offense are to CCST's high school level back seven. The game was wasted an opportunity for our new QB's to work on the throws they're goining need to be able to make going forward.

Advertisement
The biggest disappointment to me is that we didn't show a passing game that will stand up once TVD and/or Garcia go against a P5 defense.

Virtually all the routes were single read; super-short routes or over the top routes. And we hit on them for a lot of big gains because our skill athletes are vastly superior to CCST's guys. But those weren't throws and routes that we're going to be able to make a living with against the rest of the ACC.

Our two new QB's need to learn to make the throws they'll need to make against P5 teams. Yesterday was a perfect opportunity to work on it. Instead we opted to showcase how much better our skill athletes on offense are to CCST's high school level back seven. The game was wasted an opportunity for our new QB's to work on the throws they're goining need to be able to make going forward.
Thinking they needed the confidence of playing at game speed. Sometimes. young QBs just need to complete passes.

Take away the Brashard Smith 75 yd TD flip & the 83 yd Cam Harris screen for a TD, TVD stats look like this:

8/9 for 112 yards & 1 TD.

If he’s our starter for the rest of the season I think we go 7-5 best case scenario.

I’m not crowning Garcia, I just think this spells a lot of trouble for this offense moving forward.
man i hate when people do this. you cant take away those plays. they happened....

Advertisement
Thought the game plan was to ease both QB’s into their series of the game yesterday. Both obviously are talented and bring different options to the table. TVD is a gifted passer and Garcia is a true gunslinger. I hope whoever is picked for Thursday night that they provide an offensive scheme that will extenuate their gifts as QB’s and that we can score more points than UVA

To the extreme, would be Peyton. That guy was almost a cyborg in how he dropped back each time.

Chad Henne is another robotic QB who was more average.

Ryan Mallet is the robotic guy who didn't really work out.

That’s kinda what I was thinking. 99% of the time you don’t want a robotic qb. And thanks , I appreciate the response

Thinking they needed the confidence of playing at game speed. Sometimes. young QBs just need to complete passes.

Yup I imagine that was the case. That said, the fact still stands they both got very little experience with the throws they’re going to have to make in four days.

Advertisement
Back