Quick review of TVD/Garcia at CCSt

Advertisement
it looks to me as if TVD is TRYING to be robotic almost @Lance Roffers maybe you’ll see what I mean on rewatch. I’ve seen guys like that who are in their own head about how a QB should move in the pocket and he strikes me like he isn’t playing free mentally

Take away the Brashard Smith 75 yd TD flip & the 83 yd Cam Harris screen for a TD, TVD stats look like this:

8/9 for 112 yards & 1 TD.

If he’s our starter for the rest of the season I think we go 7-5 best case scenario.

I’m not crowning Garcia, I just think this spells a lot of trouble for this offense moving forward.
If you do that then you need to include the Wiggins Drop, then he's 9/9 172 Yards 2TDs. There really isn't much you could critique from TVD, his ball placement was very good. Even on those long TD screen. If those passes are thrown behind then it's like a 2 to 3 yard Gain. He put them on the money we're his WRs could turn up the field

Manny and Rhett ****ed up that CcSU game the only way they could. We smash that school by 40 if we tell them we are only running one play over and over on offense. The talent discrepancy is that big.

We called about 8 pass plays that were designed to push the ball more than 5 yards downfield. That is a catastrophic failure by the coaches. WR screens and pop passes will decimate CCSU. They won’t work against schools like UVA,UNC VT etc. this was their opportunity to see which qb can work through their reads and make throws on time to the proper receivers at various depths of the defense.

UVA will be a shiit show in the first quarter quarter and a half because they will take away these garbage throws and lord knows we can’t run the ball against a power 5 school. Hopefully one of the 2 qbs figures it out in game Thursday. It didn’t need to be that way.

Advertisement
I believe TVD got the ball out the 2nd fastest in the country this week
I heard that being mentioned. Possible predetermined reads had something to do with it. I don't think he gets too many rpo plays called his way.

Sacks are honestly as much on the QB as they are the OL in the majority of cases. QB's who have high sack percentages tend to have high sack percentages with any OL and vice versa.

TVD does strike me as a guy who will get sacked more often and that is absolutely a criterion to consider.
Lance, as you watch back the film, the question that should be thought about is what would the other QB have done on each play. Folks get caught up on a sack, a run or a particular pass. Would TVD had a similar run to Garcia on that play (could he have scored), would Garcia have been sacked on the 2 TVD was. Each play is unique and splitting reps makes it hard to get a complete sense of what each are capable of. On TVD’s second sack, watch how quick he flips his feet to break out of the pocket. He was caught on a great tackle by DE already at full speed. Most QBs don’t get that far and would be sacked immediately by an unblocked DE. What we do know is that they both seem accurate, smart and have game.

I don't think Garcia's best throw was the one to George. Maybe the "prettiest," though I consider it a tick late. The toss on the move, while not a spiral, is a throw we need against evenly matched talent. See below:

View attachment 155946

Throw was on a roll to the right, never settled feet, throw early and with anticipation. Didn't release it cleanly, but was sufficient to put the WR in an advantage.
I agree. Accuracy on the run is a must and Garcia has that. Great placement on that ball. TVD may also as well. Although his were shorter throws on the run (smith, Brantley) the placement was perfect.

Advertisement
Manny and Rhett ****ed up that CcSU game the only way they could. We smash that school by 40 if we tell them we are only running one play over and over on offense. The talent discrepancy is that big.

We called about 8 pass plays that were designed to push the ball more than 5 yards downfield. That is a catastrophic failure by the coaches. WR screens and pop passes will decimate CCSU. They won’t work against schools like UVA,UNC VT etc. this was their opportunity to see which qb can work through their reads and make throws on time to the proper receivers at various depths of the defense.

UVA will be a shiit show in the first quarter quarter and a half because they will take away these garbage throws and lord knows we can’t run the ball against a power 5 school. Hopefully one of the 2 qbs figures it out in game Thursday. It didn’t need to be that way.
This is bit unfair, there were 5 deep balls thrown in that game, plus the fade to Brinson by Garcia. TVD had 23 snaps, Garcia 32. Combined they threw 26 passes. Now my real point, THE COACHES WERE GETTING THE PLAY MAKERS AND FRESH BALL IN SPACE SO THEY CAN AND BUILD CONFIDENCE. It’s not all just about the QBs

Sacks are honestly as much on the QB as they are the OL in the majority of cases. QB's who have high sack percentages tend to have high sack percentages with any OL and vice versa.

TVD does strike me as a guy who will get sacked more often and that is absolutely a criterion to consider.
That is exactly what I was saying ... you need a QB with more situational awareness in order to avoid being sacked and to me Garcia seems to have that quality .. more so than TVD.

Rewatched quickly all of the plays of each.

It played out as I had suspected. weak opponent, yes, but both QB's flashed. it's hard to judge the players under stress, since the opponent was so overmatched. although, on two or three plays, we had a couple OL doing their best to get the QB's killed.

looking at the tape of every pass play:

TVD owned the three best throws of the day. ......

1. the out to Restrepo from the mid hash, across the field. (that's a throw he's made before, in the spring game, so it's not a fluke. and it needs anticipation as well as arm. I noted that Lashlee never called for that same throw when Garcia was in. will review the tape again, but that's what I saw. I'm sure @Lance Roffers will verify in his review).

2. the TD pass to Wiggins on the 8 route. (it's a TD but/for wiggins. so, I'm calling it that. the throw was a laser beam. total dime)

3. the TD to Harley. on the half mesh in the end zone. (the route was a bit off on the part of bot wr's, so the room to the sideline shortened more than it was designed to have. TVD needed to thread it, and did).

Garcia had a couple good tosses. the TD to jacolby george was a really nice throw. that was his nicest toss by Garcia....

But overall, the three I mentioned from TVD were the best of the day.
Can we please not see Wiggins on the field again. How many drops do we have to see with all these great Freshmen behind him

Advertisement
Rewatched quickly all of the plays of each.

It played out as I had suspected. weak opponent, yes, but both QB's flashed. it's hard to judge the players under stress, since the opponent was so overmatched. although, on two or three plays, we had a couple OL doing their best to get the QB's killed.

looking at the tape of every pass play:

TVD owned the three best throws of the day. ......

1. the out to Restrepo from the mid hash, across the field. (that's a throw he's made before, in the spring game, so it's not a fluke. and it needs anticipation as well as arm. I noted that Lashlee never called for that same throw when Garcia was in. will review the tape again, but that's what I saw. I'm sure @Lance Roffers will verify in his review).

2. the TD pass to Wiggins on the 8 route. (it's a TD but/for wiggins. so, I'm calling it that. the throw was a laser beam. total dime)

3. the TD to Harley. on the half mesh in the end zone. (the route was a bit off on the part of bot wr's, so the room to the sideline shortened more than it was designed to have. TVD needed to thread it, and did).

Garcia had a couple good tosses. the TD to jacolby george was a really nice throw. that was his nicest toss by Garcia....

But overall, the three I mentioned from TVD were the best of the day.
Where did you watch the full game? I only find the condensed one on YT

If you do that then you need to include the Wiggins Drop, then he's 9/9 172 Yards 2TDs. There really isn't much you could critique from TVD, his ball placement was very good. Even on those long TD screen. If those passes are thrown behind then it's like a 2 to 3 yard Gain. He put them on the money we're his WRs could turn up the field

I actually thought the screen was one of the better plays for the sheer fact that we've been missing on them all year due to ball placement.

Both have a tendency to stare down receivers. That out route to Restrepo was into double coverage but it was a good throw. Had he come off that he had Brinson on a crossing route with lots of green in front of him.
Both of them are freshmen and inexperienced regarding eying their receiver's. Also, A LOT of major CFB quarterbacks with experience " zoom in " on their receiver's. I guess it's a HABIT that these QB's have never broken and what not. Peace.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back