Quick review of TVD/Garcia at CCSt

RedSquare

Freshman
Rewatched quickly all of the plays of each.

It played out as I had suspected. weak opponent, yes, but both QB's flashed. it's hard to judge the players under stress, since the opponent was so overmatched. although, on two or three plays, we had a couple OL doing their best to get the QB's killed.

looking at the tape of every pass play:

TVD owned the three best throws of the day. ......

1. the out to Restrepo from the mid hash, across the field. (that's a throw he's made before, in the spring game, so it's not a fluke. and it needs anticipation as well as arm. I noted that Lashlee never called for that same throw when Garcia was in. will review the tape again, but that's what I saw. I'm sure @Lance Roffers will verify in his review).

2. the TD pass to Wiggins on the 8 route. (it's a TD but/for wiggins. so, I'm calling it that. the throw was a laser beam. total dime)

3. the TD to Harley. on the half mesh in the end zone. (the route was a bit off on the part of bot wr's, so the room to the sideline shortened more than it was designed to have. TVD needed to thread it, and did).

Garcia had a couple good tosses. the TD to jacolby george was a really nice throw. that was his nicest toss by Garcia....

But overall, the three I mentioned from TVD were the best of the day.

Advertisement

It played out as I had suspected. weak opponent, yes, but both QB's flashed. it's hard to judge the players under stress, since the opponent was so overmatched. although, on two or three plays, we had a couple OL doing their best to get the QB's killed.

1. the out to Restrepo from the mid hash, across the field. (that's a throw he's made before, in the spring game, so it's not a fluke. and it needs anticipation as well as arm. I noted that Lashlee never called for that same throw when Garcia was in. will review the tape again, but that's what I saw. I'm sure @Lance Roffers will verify in his review).

2. the TD pass to Wiggins on the 8 route. (it's a TD but/for wiggins. so, I'm calling it that. the throw was a laser beam. total dime)

3. the TD to Harley. on the half mesh in the end zone. (the route was a bit off on the part of bot wr's, so the room to the sideline shortened more than it was designed to have. TVD needed to thread it, and did).

Garcia had a couple good tosses. the TD to jacolby george was a really nice throw. that was his nicest toss by Garcia....

They both had their moments, but I will say that Garcia’s TD throws to Brinson and George were both dimes, and highly impressive. The one to Brinson was perfectly placed where only Brinson could make a play on it, and he was getting mugged by the DB. The one to George was perfectly timed and hit him in stride.

They both also threw a couple of ducks, which was to be expected for two guys getting their first meaningful playing time. Overall, they both looked good.

I agree with your OL analysis. Specially DVD at the start of the 3rd quarter. They almost got him seriously hurt. Gotta do better than that, specially against weak comp.

They both had their moments, but I will say that Garcia’s TD throws to Brinson and George were both dimes, and highly impressive. The one to Brinson was perfectly placed where only Brinson could make a play on it, and he was getting mugged by the DB. The one to George was perfectly timed and hit him in stride.

They both also threw a couple of ducks, which was to be expected for two guys getting their first meaningful playing time. Overall, they both looked good.

I agree with your OL analysis. Specially DVD at the start of the 3rd quarter. They almost got him seriously hurt. Gotta do better than that, specially against weak comp.

the things they needed to do better, will improve. that's stuff that can be coached up

the things they needed to do better, will improve. that's stuff that can be coached up
But can this staff coach them up? History has said no….thus far. Both TVD and JG have huge upside. Excited to watch them the rest of the way and hopefully Rhett can get them to progress. Time for King to be a coach the rest of the way to these guys. From what I read by TVD’s comments, King was great helping them between series. To me that’s his role the rest of the way.

Advertisement
Probably be a short UFR due to competition, but the drop by Wiggins was an NFL throw that King doesn’t even try.

The TD to George by Garcia I thought was a bit of an underthrow, but I always say I’d rather you throw a bit short than long. Can’t catch an overthrow, but underthrows are usually caught or a penalty (occasionally picked off).

First impressions on the downside:

TVD not as athletic as I remembered. He was quite methodical out there and almost robotic in his movements.

Garcia did not have the arm I remembered. Lots of quacks out there. Ball placement was meh on several throws.

Side note: my goodness we are awful at perimeter throws. From ball placement to blocking, to play design. Ugly.

Robotic is the perfect word to describe TVD. Garcia seems to be more natural in his movements. @lance R Who is the best example of a robotic QB that's been really successful, college or pro's?

As I heard someone mention that rpo that Garcia almost took to the house is a play that was available to King many times but for whatever reason never made consistently.

Garcia even seemed to delay pulling the ball which sold the handoff even more. King just didn't seem to have the instinct to run the rpo effectively.

I think with Garcia you will see Lashlee's offense run more effectively. Garcia is taller so the slants will be there too, where with King he could not see it develop well or if he tried to throw it the ball gets batted down.

Advertisement
It'll get him sacked against better competition. I can see some frustrating drives in our future where we're moving the ball well only to take a momentum-killing sack.
I recall hearing during broadcast TVD was 0-4 in passes before Saturday's game. Just always seemed his processing was slow and he hold the ball too long when he entered a game.

Take away the Brashard Smith 75 yd TD flip & the 83 yd Cam Harris screen for a TD, TVD stats look like this:

8/9 for 112 yards & 1 TD.

If he’s our starter for the rest of the season I think we go 7-5 best case scenario.

I’m not crowning Garcia, I just think this spells a lot of trouble for this offense moving forward.

Advertisement
Take away the Brashard Smith 75 yd TD flip & the 83 yd Cam Harris screen for a TD, TVD stats look like this:

If he’s our starter for the rest of the season I think we go 7-5 best case scenario.

I’m not crowning Garcia, I just think this spells a lot of trouble for this offense moving forward.
Take away those 8/9 for 112/1TD and he's 2/2, 158yards and 2 TDS with a 158 qb rating lol.

I'm very confused by your post. Are you pro or anti TVD?

Because when you take away his two big plays, his numbers still look great lol.

Advertisement
Probably be a short UFR due to competition, but the drop by Wiggins was an NFL throw that King doesn’t even try.

The TD to George by Garcia I thought was a bit of an underthrow, but I always say I’d rather you throw a bit short than long. Can’t catch an overthrow, but underthrows are usually caught or a penalty (occasionally picked off).

First impressions on the downside:

TVD not as athletic as I remembered. He was quite methodical out there and almost robotic in his movements.

Garcia did not have the arm I remembered. Lots of quacks out there. Ball placement was meh on several throws.

Side note: my goodness we are awful at perimeter throws. From ball placement to blocking, to play design. Ugly.

Good thoughts.

On the wiggins throw: funny how the crowd around here seems to think tvd is tentative and garcia a gunslinger. Because that throw takes a lot of moxie as well as arm talent. Not a toss for the faint of heart

I agree. Good content, you sound like a student of the game.

Whoever gets the start, please nix those god**** screen passes Across 30 feet of empty space.

Advertisement
Back