Quick note on wr’s

Tank Dell was a really good player, but Houston had 4 players including him with atleast 38 Catches and 7 players with atleast 20, and 9 players with atleast 15.

Our WRs were not great last year but Gattis has no idea how to consistently scheme guys open. Dawson's offense does. I was watching @Stevo365 breakdown his offense and thst man was running rub plays 40 yards down the field to get Tank Dell open or stacking him so they coudnt jam him off the line. Some of those passes are glorified hand offs based on how its designed and how open.the WRs are.

I expect the ballers to start separating themselves by midseason. I expect Ray Ray to become a monster eventually.

Advertisement
It wasn’t 6 catches. It was 6 games for Harrell and 2 catches. I’m aware of his speed and his big play potential. I’m just not relying on a guy who has played in 20 games over 4 years. By comparison, Don Chaney, who I don’t trust to stay healthy at all has played in 14 games over 3 years. There’s guys who get injured and miss time and there’s guys who miss more games than they play in.

There’s a place for Harrell in the offense, at best it’s WR3 but I’m leaning more towards WR 4 or 5. If he catches 15 passes for around 300 yards, it’ll be a success.
That's fair. I get the caution. I'm more bullish because of Dawson's air raid origins.

My pre-camp hot take is Harrell will start ahead of George and will be targeted more often than Restrepo. I can't wait to see him as the motion receiver (when we use motion) so he's already got some speed pre-snap. Out of that set, I could see him as both the top target and the first check-down. But WTF knows, lol. I just want speed on the field!

Colby has insane upside. Far more then George imo. He's in ridiculous shape & is super gifted.

George is a scratch off lotto ticket at this point. If he gives you anything positive, all good. I, personally, expect nothing, but hope for the best.

Young though...returning leading WR in yards and touchdowns, second in catches. Marketshare numbers aren't great for catches and yards, but 28% marketshare of receiving TDs tracks as he's been >1 touchdown per game average his senior year in HS and averaged a TD less than every 3 catches at Lackawanna. His ability to find the redzone might be our only currently visible trump card on offense. This is a big year for him. Would love to see him up those YPC showed more downfield prowess in JUCO/HS and become a more consistent option downfield and in the red zone, but a lot of this relies on our QB having his **** together. If TVD gets back to the TVD we saw in 2021...could be a fun year for Young.

George is a scratch off lotto ticket at this point. If he gives you anything positive, all good. I, personally, expect nothing, but hope for the best.

Young though...returning leading WR in yards and touchdowns, second in catches. Marketshare numbers aren't great for catches and yards, but 28% marketshare of receiving TDs tracks as he's been >1 touchdown per game average his senior year in HS and averaged a TD less than every 3 catches at Lackawanna. His ability to find the redzone might be our only currently visible trump card on offense. This is a big year for him. Would love to see him up those YPC showed more downfield prowess in JUCO/HS and become a more consistent option downfield and in the red zone, but a lot of this relies on our QB having his **** together. If TVD gets back to the TVD we saw in 2021...could be a fun year for Young.

If Colbie take another step, agree, this could really be a fun year all around.

Tank Dell was a really good player, but Houston had 4 players including him with atleast 38 Catches and 7 players with atleast 20, and 9 players with atleast 15.

Our WRs were not great last year but Gattis has no idea how to consistently scheme guys open. Dawson's offense does. I was watching @Stevo365 breakdown his offense and thst man was running rub plays 40 yards down the field to get Tank Dell open or stacking him so they coudnt jam him off the line. Some of those passes are glorified hand offs based on how its designed and how open.the WRs are.

I expect the ballers to start separating themselves by midseason. I expect Ray Ray to become a monster eventually.
Ray Ray is the closest WR we got that's like Tank. Way he moves. Agility. Quick in and out of his routes. But faster top speed if I'm not mistaken.

Advertisement
1690292490321.png

Advertisement
TVD mentioned him on the Rose show this morning. Expects him to have a good year. Would love to see him emerge from the shadows of inconsistency
Cool. I mentioned the other day he reminded me of Jeremiah Payton production/hype. Hope he puts it all together. So far, I don't see it. (no flame)

Cool. I mentioned the other day he reminded me of Jeremiah Payton production/hype. Hope he puts it all together. So far, I don't see it. (no flame)

Agreed. Coaches have been scouring the portal for 2 years to upgrade at the position. Hopefully guys like he and X, stay available, step up and excel…

Advertisement
Tyler has had a great spring, great summer, and great fall camp,” . “He is ready to roll.”

He wasn't asked directly about Tyler's injury.

He also wouldn't name a backup QB when asked.

“They both have proven they can win football games and we feel like they can win football games in this system,”

Mario said he felt the WR position is a group that has taken one of the biggest steps up this off season.
“That position has advanced as much as anyone. We feel like we have enough guys that can rotate and are dependable, can make plays, and be explosive. That position has certainly taken a step up. Tyler and the rest of the quarterbacks feel confident in them.”

He was also very clear that there will be a number of freshmen who will be starters or co-starters this season: specifically OL Francis Mauigoa, CB Damari Brown, RB Mark Fletcher, and DL Rueben Bain

"They deserve to play and they have certainly upped the caliber of playing level on the team.”

Good stuff, I feel so much better about the WR position this year.

Everytime This off-season (spring game/open fall practice scrimmage) George has made plays. His route running is high level, he has soft hands, and he know how to play the WR position. He was ultra productive in high school as a WR I think having back to back 1000 yard seasons.

Honestly his biggest knock prior was potentially work ethic(just based on @DMoney comments on podcasts), and his frame is slight.

Restrepo was ballin to start year last year until his injury albeit against lesser teams, and when he came back TVD was hurt so he didn't have a QB to get him the ball(Remember vs. Clemson he was wide open on deep ball and Jacurri overthrew him by yards).

Colbie and TVD developed a lot of chemistry i that 3 game stretch until TVDs injury. Young had multiple TDs, and was really emerging as a big catch point target.

Now you add Harrell and the speed element.

Ladson and Redding are experienced bigger bodies as depth.

Brashard got lots of time with X injury to develop last year. Then you add Ray Rayto the mix.

I follow Clemson closely also, wife graduated from there, and I can tell you I would 100% rather have Miami's WR room right now.

Good stuff, I feel so much better about the WR position this year.

Everytime This off-season (spring game/open fall practice scrimmage) George has made plays. His route running is high level, he has soft hands, and he know how to play the WR position. He was ultra productive in high school as a WR I think having back to back 1000 yard seasons.

Honestly his biggest knock prior was potentially work ethic(just based on @DMoney comments on podcasts), and his frame is slight.

Restrepo was ballin to start year last year until his injury albeit against lesser teams, and when he came back TVD was hurt so he didn't have a QB to get him the ball(Remember vs. Clemson he was wide open on deep ball and Jacurri overthrew him by yards).

Colbie and TVD developed a lot of chemistry i that 3 game stretch until TVDs injury. Young had multiple TDs, and was really emerging as a big catch point target.

Now you add Harrell and the speed element.

Ladson and Redding are experienced bigger bodies as depth.

Brashard got lots of time with X injury to develop last year. Then you add Ray Rayto the mix.

I follow Clemson closely also, wife graduated from there, and I can tell you I would 100% rather have Miami's WR room right now.

While going into the season we don't have a superstar WR1, I like the pieces we do have to make a positive impact. Maybe one will surprise us and become that player.

Advertisement
While going into the season we don't have a superstar WR1, I like the pieces we do have to make a positive impact. Maybe one will surprise us and become that player.
I won’t call him a superstar yet but CY4 is looking like the guy. X the safety blanket. JG should finally show something too. The light has come on. Those are easily the best three with Harrell the soles guy , Ladson and Redding also being part of the rotation. Ray Ray has to get on the field at some point , he’s too good. BS will have to hold him off but I haven‘t given up on him. He was flashing right before Tvd went down.

Last edited:
I won’t call him a superstar yet but CY4 is looking like the guy. X the safety blanket. JG should finally show something too. The light has come on. Those are easily the best three with Ladson and Redding being part of the rotation. Ray Ray has to get on the field at some point , he’s too good. BS will have to hold him off but I haven‘t given up on him. He was flashing right before Tvd went down.
Would love to see a package with Smith and Ray Ray on the field at the same time

I won’t call him a superstar yet but CY4 is looking like the guy. X the safety blanket. JG should finally show something too. The light has come on. Those are easily the best three with Ladson and Redding being part of the rotation. Ray Ray has to get on the field at some point , he’s too good. BS will have to hold him off but I haven‘t given up on him. He was flashing right before Tvd went down.

Shemar Kirk making any impact yet? I don't expect the world, but he looked to have some shiftiness and quickness that we're lacking, IMO.

Harrell has the blazing straight line speed. I think Colbie is a bigger Rambo...not going to blow the doors off anyone with speed, but a good route runner, very balanced, good body control, good ball skills. X is that steady dude over the middle who will catch the ball, be in the right place, and be tough for DBs to tackle. But I would love a Stacy Coley...somebody who can take a bubble to the house, or be a YAC monster in the short to intermediate game. They expecting that to possibly be Jacolby?

Advertisement
Back