QUESTION: Knowing 2019, Would You Still Choose Diaz As 2020 HC?

Advertisement
Don't talk any sense to these guys. They know the future. They knew Jimmy would come good after one year. They knew Butch would come good even while they were flying banners to get him fired.

Manny had a disastrous first season. Which wasn't any better than the season before. But to his credit he has made changes and isn't doing the same thing over again. If he has another season like last season then he should be gone. I honestly think he needs to win 10 games.

Actually it was far worse than the season before. We were undefeated against G5 teams in 2018.

I thought the same, but then became incredibly frustrated with his lack of leadership adjustment on O last season. Granted the OC runs the O, but it appeared he had his elbow on the pulse.

Let me re-phrase my original question:

IF Diaz had a 2019 season like he did on any other team AND Miami had a HC vacancy for 2020, would Manuela be a candidate?

I strongly suspect the answer is no.

The answer to this question is a resounding no, obviously...but your first question does not have a final answer, yet.

The only 2 coaches that have done great their first year here were Dennis Erickson and Clappy.

It seems like your self-mutalating when we know he made logical but bad hires year 1, coached us to god-awful losses--- but then fired the people I'd wanted him to fire and has recruited high schoolers, portal, assistant coaches, etc that are intriguing.

I'm doubtful but there are a ton of great coaches that we would have fired their first year (if we had no benefit of hindsight).

Saying Diaz will be a great coach is laughable, but I sure as **** am rooting for him/us!!

If he goes 8-4 then I would need to see what the losses were like. If he goes 8-4 and wins a bowl game and finishes the season 9-4 then I would keep him. If he goes 7-5 then he gets the boot.

Man....you have to consider the difficulty of the schedule. With our schedule....the bar should be set at winning the coastal and making it to the ACC championship or he has to go.

Advertisement
It's a given how muppets will answer this question, so save the climate and spare the world your aerobic and anaerobic respirations.

For serious posters here, knowing 2019, would you still honestly choose Manuela to lead our 2020 Canes?

I suspect with deliberate thought, most if not all, critical thinkers would say Diaz had an opportunity and completely fumbled it with no chance of recovery.

I'm certainly in the camp there is no need to prolong Manuela's era past the moment his buyout becomes bearable.

If Miami wants any chance of joining upper tier of ACC (forget nationally) it is time to find a new organizational leader (B James out the door as well).
****, I was onboard with him a DC when Mark hired him. He had already failed on the big stage(UT) and had history of his defenses making splash and then everyone adjusting to them. He was not and is not Miami level. Mark should have made deal with Butch to be DC and recruiting Czar for 4 years and then HC. ****, Golden should had made that deal too. Butch was just handing out there desperately trying to get back his sweet spot THE U.

So I just the answer is, **** NO.

coaching decisions are always a case by case basis. there is no one size fits all answer.

that being said, yes, I am on board with keeping diaz.

Had he not made the drastic changes he did this offseason, my opinion would be different. But he earned a little of my respect by addressing some of our major issues, something staffs in the past did not do to this extent.

if we somehow manage to regress next year, he should be gone.

Advertisement
Manny Diaz should not be a head coach at any level of college football. He doesn’t command respect from players/coaches, evident by the teams lack of discipline in 2019. He’s an average coordinator at best

Before firing Diaz, I would establish an ability to hire a head coach. An AD with sufficient knowledge an interactions with successful college football coaches.

After that, I assume he would he would hire someone who saw success with Miami talent as a head coach or as a successful NFL coordinator.

Dabo went 6-6 his second full year with Clemson. I understand that we all want to win and win now. But to Diaz credit he made adjustments...let’s see what happens.
As a canes fan, I personally hope it works.

Ehh. I mean, look at the losses Clemson had in 2010. Do any of them compare to our loss to a 2 win GT or to FIU? Keep in mind our struggles with CMU and losses to La. Tech and Duke.

Advertisement
LOL at OP changing the question when it became apparent it was a porsst

"Lol" at your ignorant doucheness for not being able to comprehend the question.

I dum dum it dohwn fer u. Iz itz betr nohw?

I could, however, have asked it better. I course corrected when I realized the inelegance and lack of clarity.

I am so ashamed.

I took a look back since I've been a fan and applied that question to those coaches:
,77 Saban (3-8)- NO
'79 Schnellenberger (5-6) - Nice win vs #19 PSU but we did the same thing vs. #19 Auburn with Saban the year prior- NO
'84 JJ (8-5)- The D fell apart at the end of the season but great start against the toughest schedule in the country. - YES
'89 Erickson (11-1 Natty)- No brainer- YES
'95 Butch (8-3)- Not a bad record, but expectations at this time are different at Miami. 12 straight years of double digit wins with an 11 game regular season. I would not have wanted Lombardi back after "only" 8 wins- NO
'01 Coker (12-0 Natty)- YES
'07 Shannon (5-7)- NO
'11 Golden (6-6)- NO
'16 Richt (8-4)- Expectations have now lowered a bit- YES
'19 Diaz (6-7)- But not this low- NO

Interesting question, but Diaz is our coach.
Gotta roll with the guy.

!!!!!!GO!!!!!!
!!!CANES!!!
!!!!![]_[]!!!!!

Last edited:
Not that he’d deserve it, but I tend to think that Diaz will get a year 3 as long as we finish bowl eligible this year.

I won’t say it’s impossible he’d get fired at 6-6. But I will say that I’ll believe it when I see it.

Advertisement
I took a look back since I've been a fan and applied that question to those coaches:
,77 Saban (3-8)- NO
'79 Schnellenberger (5-6) - Nice win vs #19 PSU but we did the same thing vs. #19 Auburn with Saban the year prior- NO
'84 JJ (8-5)- The D fell apart at the end of the season but great start against the toughest schedule in the country. - YES
'89 Erickson (11-1 Natty)- No brainer- YES
'95 Butch (8-3)- Not a bad record, but expectations at this time are different at Miami. 12 straight years of double digit wins with an 11 game regular season. I would not have wanted Lombardi back after "only" 8 wins- NO
'01 Coker (12-0 Natty)- YES
'07 Shannon (5-7)- NO
'11 Golden (6-6)- NO
'16 Richt (8-4)- Expectations have now lowered a bit- YES
'19 Diaz (6-7)- But not this low- NO

Interesting question, but Diaz is our coach.
Gotta roll with the guy.

!!!!!!GO!!!!!!
!!!CANES!!!
!!!!![]_[]!!!!!

Agree with everything except Johnson.

Why would we want a guy that took our national championship team of all-stars and preceded to lose to:

a 6-6 Michigan team (it would have been 5-7 if we beat them) by a score of 14-22

a 7-3-2 FSU team (it would have been 6-4-2) if we beat them) by a score of 3-38 AT HOME!! Wow!!

Then ended the season with the supposed defensive genius leading an embarrassing 3-some (and not the good kind) of losses by giving up 42 and 47 points at home and then 39 in the bowl game. Among those the most inexcusable defense against Boston college's hail-mary; blowing a 31-0 lead; and more of the same against UCLA.

If you had any sense about you, it was so friggin obvious that Jimmy had to get gone. Especially if you look at the Click Here For 1984 roster he 100% inherited (the 1984 recruiting class was already signed before Schnellenberger left)

Last edited:
We lost 7 games last year. I see a possible 4 game improvement based on natural progression odds. 10-3? Toss up...

Agree with everything except Johnson.

Why would we want a guy that took our national championship team of all-stars and preceded to lose to:

a 6-6 Michigan team (it would have been 5-7 if we beat them) by a score of 14-22

a 7-3-2 FSU team (it would have been 6-4-2) if we beat them) by a score of 3-38 AT HOME!! Wow!!

Then ended the season with the supposed defensive genius leading an embarrassing 3-some (and not the good kind) of losses by giving up 42 and 47 points at home and then 39 in the bowl game. Among those the most inexcusable defense against Boston college's hail-mary; blowing a 31-0 lead; and more of the same against UCLA.

If you had any sense about you, it was so friggin obvious that Jimmy had to get gone. Especially if you look at the Click Here For 1984 roster he 100% inherited (the 1984 recruiting class was already signed before Schnellenberger left)

Relax. I was 50/50 on this one.
I don't have to look any roster, I went to school with most of those guys.

My yes/no decision was based on my expectations of the team at that time.
I wanted to win like everyone else, but Natty's weren't expected every year....yet.

We started off the season beating #1 Auburn up here then avenging the '83 uF loss the next week (great game).
JJ had us back up at #6 before the last 3 games, which we lost by 6 points, all on the last second plays.
You make it sound like those teams were dogs.
MD finished the year ranked 12th, 6th in the country in scoring. BC 5th, 1st in scoring. UCLA finished the year ranked 9th.
Auburn (14th), Florida (3rd), and FSU (17th) also finished the year ranked.

Watching that D was frustrating as **** at the end but the offense was the best I've seen at Miami at that time.
If you and I play DB for that team we go 11-2.
In the end, the DC getting pushed out, the 18th ranking, and a couple of plays away from being ranked in the top-5 was good enough for me.

Yeah, the decision of YES or NO for Jimmy, at that time, isn't as cut and dry as any search info would lead you to believe.

Last edited:
Relax. I was 50/50 on this one.
I don't have to look any roster, I went to school with most of those guys.

My yes/no decision was based on my expectations of the team at that time.
I wanted to win like everyone else, but Natty's weren't expected every year....yet.

We started off the season beating #1 Auburn up here then avenging the '83 uF loss the next week (great game).
JJ had us back up at #6 before the last 3 games, which we lost by 6 points, all on the last second plays.
You make it sound like those teams were dogs.
MD finished the year ranked 12th, 6th in the country in scoring. BC 5th, 1st in scoring. UCLA finished the year ranked 9th.
Auburn (14th), Florida (3rd), and FSU (17th) also finished the year ranked.

Watching that D was frustrating as **** at the end but the offense was the best I've seen at Miami at that time.
If you and I play DB for that team we go 11-2.
In the end, the DC getting pushed out, the 18th ranking, and a couple of plays away from being ranked in the top-5 was good enough for me.

Yeah, the decision of YES or NO for Jimmy, at that time, isn't as cut and dry as any search info would lead you to believe.

I was in section G row 61 (under the overhang for rain and sun protection) for all of it too. Losing at home 3 to 38 to a crappy FSU team and losing at home when you're up 31-0 at halftime is all the masses needed to know. Here was a "veteran" coach that never did great things where he was, and now was destroying the juggernaunt that Schnelly had assembled.

Truth is, defending him, as I did, was tough and brutal. The masses were ready to cut bait with that "loser".

Thank heavens the admin didn't cave in to the masses on Johnson, nor Butch for that matter.

This in no way means Manny will lead us to where we need to go, and I wouldn't have hired him (nor Johnson, nor Erickson, nor Butch, actually).

But Manny's our coach now. As such, while I have my doubts like I've had in others before, I'll pull for the possibility that he'll reward our patience the way Johnson and Butch did.

And it makes the off-season SO MUCH more enjoyable to have hope (for me anyway) than to be "100% positive" he'll fail.

Allow me to dream, and I'll allow the masses to wallow in their brilliant foresight miseries.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back