Question for the fire Manny crowd

Advertisement
Just my opinion but I wish we had Mike Leach at HC an Diaz as the DC should have been pulled the string on Mike he wanted to be here an I'd take him anyday over Coker, Shannon, Golden, Richt, and Diaz his offence with South Florida kids would be a perfect match!
Leach was 4-7 and is about to start this szn 0-1

Almost any hire is predicated is a willingness to spend $EC money.

Napier, as someone mentioned, is likely $EC-bound. Pick a team, but if he is in demand he’ll command $5M+. Wouldn’t shock me if he was the next LSU coach in 2022 or 2023 at that price range. He does have an $EC background, as WR coach at Bama 2013-2016.

I like Bill Clark, UAB. Has done an excellent job at UAB after the program was reinstated, never had a losing season. His only season at Jacksonville State, he went 11-4 and ranked 10th in the FCS. Two of the four losses were to the 2nd and 3rd ranked FCS teams, another by 1-point in OT. FWIW, 106-11 in high school.

Last edited:
Advertisement
You're saying the Miami gig isn't good enough for someone like Fickell to leave Cincy to come here. ****, Dan Mullen tried to come here twice. Any coach worth his salt would immediately jump at the opportunity to leave a G5 program to be the Miami coach. With the Fickell example, you can't tell me he wouldn't jump at the opportunity to come here rather than languish at Cincy for years on end waiting for the Taint or some other "premier" job to come open. And yes, committed to winning big is more than just throwing money around which we've done plenty of with search committees, premature extensions, etc.

Well, Fickell already makes 300k more a year at Cincy than Diaz with a 3.4 million salary. What would it take to get him here annually? 4.5 to 5 mil a year at a bare minimum is my guess. He has another great year he could have a bidding war.

Then there's his buyout at 3.5 mil per year. Add in whatever we have to pay Diaz if we let him go. He's not going to step away for free like Richt did. That just doesn't happen and it goes to show what kind of person Richt is.

Languish in Cincy? He's building a resume and his name is growing, that's why they gave him the contract extension through 2026. I don't know what kind of guy he is, one to jump at the first sign of money or wait for the right spot.

How much would a move for him cost assistant salary wise. We would likely have to payout an extra 2 to 3 mil a season in that alone.

I'm not saying any of this is impossible, but all of it costs real money that comes from somewhere. You have to go to the big donors and see if anyone wants to pay the price tag. We don't have that kind of money just sitting around.

Dan Mullen was mentioned, but so what? This job has proven time and again its not a hot commodity amongst coaches. Maybe he was interested and maybe he wasn't, but I do remember some people bringing up his name. I don't recall him actively pursuing it.

Well, Fickell already makes 300k more a year at Cincy than Diaz with a 3.4 million salary. What would it take to get him here annually? 4.5 to 5 mil a year at a bare minimum is my guess. He has another great year he could have a bidding war.

Then there's his buyout at 3.5 mil per year. Add in whatever we have to pay Diaz if we let him go. He's not going to step away for free like Richt did. That just doesn't happen and it goes to show what kind of person Richt is.

Languish in Cincy? He's building a resume and his name is growing, that's why they gave him the contract extension through 2026. I don't know what kind of guy he is, one to jump at the first sign of money or wait for the right spot.

How much would a move for him cost assistant salary wise. We would likely have to payout an extra 2 to 3 mil a season in that alone.

I'm not saying any of this is impossible, but all of it costs real money that comes from somewhere. You have to go to the big donors and see if anyone wants to pay the price tag. We don't have that kind of money just sitting around.

Dan Mullen was mentioned, but so what? This job has proven time and again its not a hot commodity amongst coaches. Maybe he was interested and maybe he wasn't, but I do remember some people bringing up his name. I don't recall him actively pursuing it.
Fickell may be waiting for an opportunity at the OSU job, but might be willing to leave Ohio if it’s clear Ryan Day isn’t leaving any time soon. USC’s new AD (last year) came from Cincinnati so there’s a connection but is Fickell a West Coast Guy? He’a born and bred Ohio, and a Buckeye. Heck, he may want a ‘Ohio State is my dream job‘ clause in his contract.

Leaving aside the fact that barring a monumental collapse it's not going to happen, and not saying it's the right or wrong thing, who would you want to replace him? Serious question.

Lashlee? Is he ready? Is he even head coach material?

Someone like Robinson because you like his energy in video clips?

Simpson because he's a gray beard who's paid his dues?

Another up and comer at a smaller school, like Al Golden?

Saban ain't walking through that door. Meyer ain't walking through that door. Venables ain't walking through that door.

So who?
Rashlee, **** to the No!

Advertisement
Leaving aside the fact that barring a monumental collapse it's not going to happen, and not saying it's the right or wrong thing, who would you want to replace him? Serious question.

Lashlee? Is he ready? Is he even head coach material?

Someone like Robinson because you like his energy in video clips?

Simpson because he's a gray beard who's paid his dues?

Another up and comer at a smaller school, like Al Golden?

Saban ain't walking through that door. Meyer ain't walking through that door. Venables ain't walking through that door.

So who?
Why would anyone think the right decision is to promote a coordinator (or worse, an assistant) from a failed HC yet again? Haven't we made that same mistake a couple times already?

In any case, your comments on Saban/Meyer seem weird. Is your point that we should continue with a failure because you can't figure out who to hire? Isn't that the job of the AD? Figure it out?

Advertisement
Yeah that's interesting, and I keep saying his name come up, but he's been absolutely atrocious at every bigger gig he's had, p5 or NFL. Let's see how he does at Ole Miss this year.
If he flames at Ole **** I would love to have him as OC under a guy like Matt Campbell but that's a pie in the sky fantasy.

Im not in the "Fire Manny Crowd" yet. I'm very aware of his faults but I wanted to give him a little time and to see how this year develops. The only way Manny will succeed is if he builds a monster staff. He has addressed what needed to be addressed 2 off seasons in a row. Will it be enough to offset his deficiencies as a head coach in terms of game planning and game day coaching? I don't know and Diaz certainly didn't make any new fans after the Alabama game.

Getting back to the OP, I have to mention Mario Cristobal for obvious reasons. Since bailing on Fat Al, Cristobal has fattened up his resume quite a bit. I wouldn't have a problem with going in this direction as I think Mario would hire a great staff and recruiting would be very good and potentially excellent. He certainly has P5 HC experience. He could be a very nice fit. The thing is that I don't know much about his coaching style in terms of strengths and weaknesses.

We could try the young "up and comer" thing again but I don't trust this administration. There are plenty of good coaches out there who would love a crack at this gig. Im just not sure who they are.

Advertisement
I keep saying it. NOBODY wants to come to Miami and constantly be under the NCAA microscope with them ready to pounce and drop the death penalty for an ill timed sneeze while the KNOWN cheaters come into your backyard and just buy off the top talent in broad daylight with no fear of repercussions from the ncaa while being cursed and crucified for not being able to recruit or win enough. Even by some of our so called fans who KNOW what's going on. These coaches aint stupid and NO top coach wants to deal with that. The ncaa, until this changes, has effectively almost completely handicapped our program and it's sad how so many are in denial about this.

Last edited:
If he flames at Ole **** I would love to have him as OC under a guy like Matt Campbell but that's a pie in the sky fantasy.

Im not in the "Fire Manny Crowd" yet. I'm very aware of his faults but I wanted to give him a little time and to see how this year develops. The only way Manny will succeed is if he builds a monster staff. He has addressed what needed to be addressed 2 off seasons in a row. Will it be enough to offset his deficiencies as a head coach in terms of game planning and game day coaching? I don't know and Diaz certainly didn't make any new fans after the Alabama game.

Getting back to the OP, I have to mention Mario Cristobal for obvious reasons. Since bailing on Fat Al, Cristobal has fattened up his resume quite a bit. I wouldn't have a problem with going in this direction as I think Mario would hire a great staff and recruiting would be very good and potentially excellent. He certainly has P5 HC experience. He could be a very nice fit. The thing is that I don't know much about his coaching style in terms of strengths and weaknesses.

We could try the young "up and comer" thing again but I don't trust this administration. There are plenty of good coaches out there who would love a crack at this gig. Im just not sure who they are.
Mario DOES NOT want the job.

Chris Petersen. Two years off and fully recharged. Plus you don't have to pay a huge buyout for a guy who is not signed to a school currently. See Ohio State and Urban Meyer.

Advertisement
Back