Question about Jordan Travis

Have they figured it out, or is this like Manny's 8-3 year? Who knows. Even guys like Golden were able to get a 8 win season. Sustainability is the key. Sustainability comes from being able to recruit, which Norvell isn't doing all that well, even though he has by far the best record of any Big 3 School this year. Amazing how quick our fans are to crown any other program, but when Miami shows signs of life, it's always "I need to see more, before I make any pronouncements". Make it make sense.

Such a bad take at the end. No clue what you’re talking about with the “I need to see more”. Our team has regressed this year. of course no one is crowning Mario at the moment.

He may not be able to sustain it. I said he’s on the right track and will be riding momentum into next season. That’s where you want to be after year 3 of a rebuild. I even said his lack or recruiting is what May hold him back. Basically you agree with me you just want me to wait until next year to say “hey guys FSU looks good” because I’m a Canes fan. Lol

Last edited:
Advertisement
Mario said throughout the offseason and coming into the season that we need to get to work. That is hardly the talk of someone that came into this with super high expectations. Our fans CHOSE to hear what they wanted to hear. Am I disappointed about this season? Yes, I thought that a competent program manager could get more out of this team than what Mario and this staff has, but I also didn't think the culture under Diaz was this bad. It's obvious that it was the inmates running the asylum, and years of that led to some awful habits.

The difference between what I thought this program could be Year 1 and what they are can be summed up in one word: GATTIS. Mario botched that hire badly. You get a better playcaller at the OC spot, I can tell you that odds are Miami is sitting at 7-8 wins right now, instead of 5. Miami beats TAMU, that probably doesn't lead to the hangover game the next week, and who knows what happens after that. I expected between 8-10 wins this year, and I can safely say that Gattis' nonsense has cost Miami at least 1-2 games so far.
Wrong. When the pads came on Our insiders said the staff felt confident they could win this year with the transfers they brought in and the existing talent we had. They were completely wrong.

Gattis sucked. But so has the D on most weeks. The team just isn’t that good.

I beg to differ.

Many of us were deeply concerned before the season began about the offense that Mario and Gattis would be running.

Did anyone think that it would be all-time putrid? No. But there were legit concerns when Mario was hired, and then Gattis.
Lmao fam what are you differing on? I said nobody expecting our offense to be record setting trash and then you say the same.

I didnt say everyone expected greatness from it at any point

You dummies on here can’t accept that a program like FSU may have actually figured it out. The OP’s point is valid. norvell battled adversity early and is putting the pieces together. Hopefully Mario isnt as stupid and stubborn as so many of the fans here. We should try and replicate/ build a similar blueprint to improve our program. Realizing it takes time.

You don’t go from ****** to title contender in a year. It’s takes time. **** we had multiple threads on how Kirby sucked and would never get over the hump at Georgia every time the intelligent posters who weren’t sucked into the “tHeY sUCk aNd He’S a CoRcH” repetitive nonsense would mention Georgia was beginning to look good and recruit at the highest level.

FSU is on the right track. If they could recruit better would probably be a legit force. They could become relevant again and be a dark horse next year.

We need to catch up.
The difference between FSU and Georgia is that while Kirby was corching it up, he was signing top recruiting classes every year. Eventually the talent just takes over. Norvell has pieced together a solid season but hasn’t backed it up with the recruiting classes. Their ‘23 class is currently 17th and that’s the highest class they’ve had under White Mike. When you consistently rank around 20th in recruiting, you’ve got a ceiling on how good your program can be. The fact that he hasn’t parlayed their best season in a while into a really good class should be concerning for their fans. If they can’t pull a top ten class this year, they’ll never do it.

Advertisement
The difference between FSU and Georgia is that while Kirby was corching it up, he was signing top recruiting classes every year. Eventually the talent just takes over. Norvell has pieced together a solid season but hasn’t backed it up with the recruiting classes. Their ‘23 class is currently 17th and that’s the highest class they’ve had under White Mike. When you consistently rank around 20th in recruiting, you’ve got a ceiling on how good your program can be. The fact that he hasn’t parlayed their best season in a while into a really good class should be concerning for their fans. If they can’t pull a top ten class this year, they’ll never do it.

Agreed. It’s going to make their ceiling the ACC championship. But no one outside of Miami and Clemson is recruiting at a higher level. So they’ll have the talent needed for the ACC.

If we can get coaching to the standard we’re recruiting at we should be able to pass them up in year 3.

Umm.. this year? They steamrolled us, beat LSU and could beat Florida. I’d consider that a good season.

What he’s done at FSU considering where the team was at is actually impressive. They were a horrible team when Norvell took over and because he didn’t win year 1 people said he was horrible. sound familiar?

They’ll be in a good position next year and should be relevant. If Mario gets us to the same point in year 3 I’ll be satisfied. If he has us competing for championships in years 4/5 I’ll be impressed.
The difference will be talent acquisition. Norvell relies on the portal while Mario can obtain talent from multiple avenues. We get the OC hire right and we're gonna lap FSpoo quickly.

Agreed. It’s going to make their ceiling the ACC championship. But no one outside of Miami and Clemson is recruiting at a higher level. So they’ll have the talent needed for the ACC.

If we can get coaching to the standard we’re recruiting at we should be able to pass them up in year 3.
North Carolina has out recruited them over the last four seasons too.

If Miami makes the right coordinator hires, they’ll be better than FSU next year. They’re not exactly returning a ton of talent so Norvell will have to try to strike gold on the transfer market for the third straight year. Tough to consistently plug holes with one year players

The difference will be talent acquisition. Norvell relies on the portal while Mario can obtain talent from multiple avenues. We get the OC hire right and we're gonna lap FSpoo quickly.
I agree. Quickly to me is year 3.

We don’t have all world talent at the skill positions. Benson is better than anything we have, they’ll have Travis back and H. Williams is a higher rated WR than anything we have committed.

Miami wasn’t a quick fix. we need more talent and it needs to mature

Advertisement
I agree. Quickly to me is year 3.

We don’t have all world talent at the skill positions. Benson is better than anything we have, they’ll have Travis back and H. Williams is a higher rated WR than anything we have committed.

Miami wasn’t a quick fix. we need more talent and it needs to mature
FSU is losing a lot: Benson might declare for draft, a couple starting o lineman, likely 3 starting d lineman, their best safety, McDonald too. That's a lot to lose. It all came together for them this year, kinda like our 2017, and what happened after that ? I expect a similar fall back. I love our current recruiting class but how much of a leap we make next year will depend on the next OC + how we do in the portal.

FSU is losing a lot: Benson might declare for draft, a couple starting o lineman, likely 3 starting d lineman, their best safety, McDonald too. That's a lot to lose. It all came together for them this year, kinda like our 2017, and what happened after that ? I expect a similar fall back. I love our current recruiting class but how much of a leap we make next year will depend on the next OC + how we do in the portal.

Not holding my breath on the portal pick ups. It was underwhelming last year outside of Mesidor.

Not holding my breath on the portal pick ups. It was underwhelming last year outside of Mesidor.
Well it was underwhelming because we obviously overrated our roster, we're way too passive and the Gattis hire certainly didn't help us attract high end offensive talent. We'll be very aggressive this time around.

Have we ever had an entrenched, starting QB with "escapability?" As in the ability/quickness to avoid a rush, regularly run for 10-20 yds when it's there, extend plays for your receivers, etc? I can't remember any. Well, maybe George Mira back in the early 60s.

Advertisement
This TALENT argument that many of you bring is such a bunch of baloney it's absolutely comical. There are so many less talented teams in the country with 2 & 3 start rated players that score at will while running up and down the field on offense. The problem is CLEARLY this coaching staff and starts with Mario. We have difficulty getting a first down, seem incredibly disorganized, have to call time outs every game because of late calls in the huddle, can't score in the red zone at all, and we have a head coach that looks totally confused 1000000% of the time. I also laugh at many of you here that constantly think that Jordan Travis isn't a good QB. The kid can now throw the rock and he is the most elusive QB in the country and just makes things happens with his legs. I would take him in a heartbeat. With some real good coaching we have a very similar guy in JB because Travis has really improved throwing the football. You stick with JB because his upside is tremendous. Jake is NOT THE ANSWER!

I would venture that Benson opts out of bowl game and declares. He already had a serious knee injury, and his stock is sky high.

They lose 3 starters on OL, pookie Wilson the WR, possibly Johnny Wilson, McDonald the TE.

Defense they will lose Verse, Lovett, Cooper at DL, Bethune at LB, and Robinson at safety I think will declare early.

Travis will be the main returnee, and he will keep them around 8 win team. They have to hit on portal again, it won’t be easy to land top portal guys.

I would venture that Benson opts out of bowl game and declares. He already had a serious knee injury, and his stock is sky high.

They lose 3 starters on OL, pookie Wilson the WR, possibly Johnny Wilson, McDonald the TE.

Defense they will lose Verse, Lovett, Cooper at DL, Bethune at LB, and Robinson at safety I think will declare early.

Travis will be the main returnee, and he will keep them around 8 win team. They have to hit on portal again, it won’t be easy to land top portal guys.
Careful bro the FSU fans here gonna be mad when they now realize the Noles fall back next year to a 6 or 7 win team

Advertisement
Careful bro the FSU fans here gonna be mad when they now realize the Noles fall back next year to a 6 or 7 win team

His theory is players he feels will declare…FSU is about to win 10 games and be ranked in the top 10.

**** em…but all the people that had them as a 4-5 win team were ridiculously wrong…

Such a bad take at the end. No clue what you’re talking about with the “I need to see more”. Our team has regressed this year. of course no one is crowning Mario at the moment.

He may not be able to sustain it. I said he’s on the right track and will be riding momentum into next season. That’s where you want to be after year 3 of a rebuild. I even said his lack or recruiting is what May hold him back. Basically you agree with me you just want me to wait until next year to say “hey guys FSU looks good” because I’m a Canes fan. Lol

I think he is speaking about past instances when Miami had a season like FSU is right now. He is saying that during those years, Miami fans were still largely skeptical but it appears that in this situation for the Noles, folks are acting like this season may not just be a one off. I dont know if i agree but I believe this is what he is saying.

For instance, Manny just went 8-3 two years ago but then took a step back to 7-5

Before that, Richt won 9 games his first year and a bowl game, then took it up another notch winning 10 games, the coastal, besting two top 15 teams back to back etc but then going 7-6

His theory is players he feels will declare…FSU is about to win 10 games and be ranked in the top 10.

**** em…but all the people that had them as a 4-5 win team were ridiculously wrong…
People are allowed to be wrong about a prediction. Either way FSU will lose a lot of current players as factual so the odds they fall back a bit is good, especially considering their recruiting is pretty average. Whats most important is Miami getting its crap together and getting this OC hire right. We do that and anything FSpoo does is moot.

Advertisement
Back