Quentez Johnson decommits

This is why I have been telling you cats year in and year out that this sh*t doesn't matter until the last few months. Its all interesting as a pass time, but nothing you should take seriously this early. Early commits often don't end up sticking. Many kids use an offer from a school like UM as a "placeholder". You cant blame the staff for something like this. The kid was hedging almost right after he committed. Its clear he got the offer, jumped on it as "money in the bank", then when he got the attention and offers he really wanted, backed out. This sh*t happens every year. Commitment doesn't mean sh*t to many of these kids, and that is what many guys in here don't get. They think its something we "did wrong". Many kids commit and have no intention of sticking with it, or are simply using it to get attention from the program they really want. Especially this early. If you told me this was a local kid, with ties to the program, who had been a lifelong fan, and we have this deep close ties with for years, then maybe it would be more troubling.

I agree with your main points except the bolded. He was committed for around ten days and only received an offer from the IU Hoosiers in those ten days. He was a troll he only committed just to commit to a school. He was never coming here

Thought it was reported that FSU offered him?

Yes, and visited with him last week.

I know they visited I never heard about the offer. My fault. Regardless, kid was bound to decommit. Not mad at the staff for this, but the frustrations over our DT recruiting over the past three years is the underlying reason as why people are mad about this decommitment

Advertisement
This is why I have been telling you cats year in and year out that this sh*t doesn't matter until the last few months. Its all interesting as a pass time, but nothing you should take seriously this early. Early commits often don't end up sticking. Many kids use an offer from a school like UM as a "placeholder". You cant blame the staff for something like this. The kid was hedging almost right after he committed. Its clear he got the offer, jumped on it as "money in the bank", then when he got the attention and offers he really wanted, backed out. This sh*t happens every year. Commitment doesn't mean sh*t to many of these kids, and that is what many guys in here don't get. They think its something we "did wrong". Many kids commit and have no intention of sticking with it, or are simply using it to get attention from the program they really want. Especially this early. If you told me this was a local kid, with ties to the program, who had been a lifelong fan, and we have this deep close ties with for years, then maybe it would be more troubling.

!.

I agree with your main points except the bolded. He was committed for around ten days and only received an offer from the IU Hoosiers in those ten days. He was a troll he only committed just to commit to a school. He was never coming here

I know they visited I never heard about the offer. My fault. Regardless, kid was bound to decommit. Not mad at the staff for this, but the frustrations over our DT recruiting over the past three years is the underlying reason as why people are mad about this decommitment

Totally aside from this decommitment- elite DTs just don't want to play in our current system. That may change, but until we show a solid defense DTs are just gonna keep slippin.

kid dont belong in the same sentence as travonte.

some of you guys kill me. we got conkrite, williams, patachan, all 4 stars in the last month or so and you are focused on a kid no one even knew of before his alleged commitment. smh

Advertisement
Hmmm...sounds a bit like a catch-22 as apparently we need elite DT to make it work. Nothing new to see here.

Totally aside from this decommitment- elite DTs just don't want to play in our current system. That may change, but until we show a solid defense DTs are just gonna keep slippin.

lmaoooooooooo this staff

So how do you attribute this to the staff?
You think they actually did something to make him change his mind? I get the whole "let's bash the staff schtik" that you kids are in to theses days, but seriously...
It's a results business you sell these kids to get them to commit. If they don't then its a failure on the staffs part and that goes for every coaching staff in the country.

Then every coaching staff in the country is a failure, as they all miss on kids.
Every coaching staff fails, it doesn't mean they are a failure. Saban has failed, Miles, Meyer, etc. All of them fail to one degree or another in recruiting. My point was, there's no need to make excuses for Golden and list ten different reasons as to why its understandable he missed on a recruit. He missed caused he failed, just like Saban failed when he missed on Burns, etc. its part of recruiting.

I dont trust kids who commit without A VISIT. I was scared on Darrion Owens last year who did the same thing.

But got**** DT recruiting here has been tragic....we need to put a dt in the league and FAST. That attracts the others.....S.FLA doesnt produce an absurd amount of dt talent anyway....but when they do we still dont covet them.

We honestly need to go with the Saban approach and just offer EVERY legit dt in the south east region and see how it shakes out. lIke not even being picky with offers....just send em out. If there is a 3 star or better dt out there...guarantee they have a bama offer. Same needs to be done with us...last years dt haul was solid with Moten. Fines im cool with already in class..(but hes from Bradenton and thats not our territory)..

lmaoooooooooo this staff

So how do you attribute this to the staff?
You think they actually did something to make him change his mind? I get the whole "let's bash the staff schtik" that you kids are in to theses days, but seriously...
It's a results business you sell these kids to get them to commit. If they don't then its a failure on the staffs part and that goes for every coaching staff in the country.

Then every coaching staff in the country is a failure, as they all miss on kids.
Every coaching staff fails, it doesn't mean they are a failure. Saban has failed, Miles, Meyer, etc. All of them fail to one degree or another in recruiting. My point was, there's no need to make excuses for Golden and list ten different reasons as to why its understandable he missed on a recruit. He missed caused he failed, just like Saban failed when he missed on Burns, etc. its part of recruiting.

The flip side to this discussion is that there is no need to point out that Golden failed every time a recruit goes somewhere else. There is great evidence of such antics on the football board in the thread about the incoming class and instead of giving props to those kids, there is a crew just waiting to point out all the ones that got away. We know they went to other schools. We were here when it happened.

Advertisement
Wait.... We will? When have we ever gotten the DT we needed? I'm just sayin... As far as DT goes we are more screwed than I can comprehend. I'm sick of golden. If this was any other position I'd shrug. It off.... But there's something royally broken with our DT recruiting..............

I needed to hear a DT decomitted like I need to hear we're being investigated by the NCAA again! Man I can see their friends and coaches showing D'nofrio's game film and they just laughing their azzes off! I've never disliked a Cane coach more than a gaytor, but this guy is neck and neck. When Warren Sapp openly denounced him that did it for most DT's.

I needed to hear a DT decomitted like I need to hear we're being investigated by the NCAA again! Man I can see their friends and coaches showing D'nofrio's game film and they just laughing their azzes off! I've never disliked a Cane coach more than a gaytor, but this guy is neck and neck. When Warren Sapp openly denounced him that did it for most DT's.

Too many porsters, not enough posts.

Advertisement
I dont trust kids who commit without A VISIT. I was scared on Darrion Owens last year who did the same thing.

But got**** DT recruiting here has been tragic....we need to put a dt in the league and FAST. That attracts the others.....S.FLA doesnt produce an absurd amount of dt talent anyway....but when they do we still dont covet them.

We honestly need to go with the Saban approach and just offer EVERY legit dt in the south east region and see how it shakes out. lIke not even being picky with offers....just send em out. If there is a 3 star or better dt out there...guarantee they have a bama offer. Same needs to be done with us...last years dt haul was solid with Moten. Fines im cool with already in class..(but hes from Bradenton and thats not our territory)..

You're right about this with South Florida and DTs. The other night I was reading the thread about that DB from south Dade then everybody started arguing over who was the best in south Florida. Name after name was thrown around. Same with WRs. The amount of skill position talent in south Florida is absurd. Yet, hardly ever is there an elite DT. Valentine wasn't even south Florida, he was Melbourne who came down to Champagnat to finish school. Outside of Wilfork, when have we even had an elite DT from south Florida? Sapp, Brown, Maryland, Kennedy..either middle of the state or out of state.

I think you're astute about saying putting somebody in the league attracts others. Kids often mention players they like in the league even if the guy in the league played in a different system with a different head coach. That TE that was featured the other day. He mentioned Shockey, Graham. Well, they played under different coaches.

Pete seems to be saying that it is over with the Quentez. Yet an interview somewhere says he rushed into his commitment, he is still considering Miami. Yet another poster says Jethro went to see him after he decommitted. What does this all mean? I suspect we're no longer in it, because I trust Pete's information.

Interestingly, the issue of the dearth of south Florida DTs is not applicable when it comes to DEs, apparently. South Florida seems to produce a decent number of very good and elite DEs, just not DTs. It used to be we could get by with smaller guys being moved inside. When there was a crisis, because Sileo was declared ineligible, they moved an undersized Greg Mark in as DT. He was around 240, perhaps less. That won't work any more. Now, you need behemoths for the nose tackle, or at least bigger guys when you go into a 4, like with Chick. Obviously they are doing that to increase the inside pass rush but he really can't play there all the time at his size. I don't know what the answer is. I'm not ready to blame the system or Jethro or whatever unless I know why we're having a problem recruiting. I think the issue of the system was something of an excuse by Valentine. I don't think having to play nose in a 3-4 is a disadvantage when preparing for the NFL. There are a lot of teams that use big NTs in the NFL. It could be we're facing a lot of negative recruiting, maybe in a few cases, money, and until this year, the specter of NCAA problems. Maybe it will pick up.

I would like to know why Pete thinks it's dead with Quentez, but he might not want to reveal why. The kid just decommitted because he felt he rushed into it. One poster claimed that the kid likes the U but he's getting pressure against Miami from his family and coach.

We continue our losing ways, this was bound to happen. All in all, I don't really care one bit since if we don't start winning, we'll continue to lose out on a lot of talent we'd be in for if we were winning.

Owens committed at the camp last year but once Quentez committed without visiting I knew this was coming

Advertisement
for all those *****ing about golden even taking the commit when he "knew" it wouldnt stick and he would decommit. IMAGINE the **** STORM in here, if the reverse had happened, and the board somehow found out....that Quentez tried to commit but the staff wasnt sure if hed stick, so they decided not to take it. LMAO omg i can hear it now, this staff are morons, why wouldnt you take an elite DT commit, blah blah blah.. This staff has their flaws but **** people, it gets old after awhile.

Is he planning on visiting? Maybe he figured he'd wait a little until he visits. Might have jumped a little to quick.

Whats his interest level? Did it go to 0 that quick? Does anyone here really know?

Is he planning on visiting? Maybe he figured he'd wait a little until he visits. Might have jumped a little to quick.

Whats his interest level? Did it go to 0 that quick? Does anyone here really know?
His coach has a good relationship with FSU. They visited him the following day. It took ONE day for his coach to flip him. FSU will be his announced leader in due time. What I was told second/third/fourth hand? We'll see if it's true.

Advertisement
Back