QBR rating - E$PN Miami vs UNC

It’s sad. Look at this thread as what this fan base has become. I’m getting dumb reactions and responses of ***gitt or suck me off etc, but no actual football facts or opinions to argue that JW didn’t shrink in the big moments.
I get it to a degree . I don't mean this as a shot at people who are enamored with Williams but the reactions you're getting are because people don't want to consider that perhaps we still don't have a QB , being an ostrich allows them to not deal with things they don't like. It's human nature .

Advertisement
Advertisement
“The Total Quarterback Rating is a statistical measure that incorporates the contexts and details of those throws and what they mean for wins”

Basically the QBR knows when a quarterback is just padding stats and not really making the plays necessary to win games. It takes in account clutch moments in games so we know based on the word “clutch” why Sam Howell has a much higher QB rating than Jarren Williams.
But that's BS, because Jarren didn't blow the 4th and 17. He did **** near all he could do. He should not be judged on what our D gave up. Or on our missed FGs and dropped 2 point conversion.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Not just yds/completion, but also probably TDs/completion

Jarren's sitting at about 1 TD for every 15 completions
Howell's at 1 TD for every 8 completions.

Big difference.

Clutch throws is part of it , I actually just heard a discussion about espns qbr. Not all completions are created equal in the rating , also rushing td is part of it.

..can someone who knows how this is figured out explain

Jarren Williams - 30/39, 309 mars, 2 td, 0 int, QBR= 49.6
Sam Howell - 16/24, 274 mars, 2 td, 0 int, QBR= 74.9
calculation gets into avg. yards / attempt, avg. yards / completion etc... it's crazy

Advertisement
In the traditional QB rating yds/att is the single most important stat.
For this game Howel had a better rating per the way the NCAA does it 190.1 to 160.4. mainly because of the yds he put up with far fewer attempts

Williams would have had to throw 4 more TDs (total of 6) to exceed Howel's 190 rating or throw for 130 more yds.

Here is another example.
2 QBs go 20/30 (66.7% completion) no interceptions
QB1 has 4 TD and 200 yds
QB2 has 0 TD and 360 yds

QB2 has the better rating 167 to 166

Edit: And yes ,I agree with this rating system and Howel did have a better statistical game than Williams as he had nearly the same number of yds with 15 less pass attempts.

Last edited:
Williams just seems like he doesn't have the IT factor . All the bullshlt excuses about him being a RS Freshman are negated by Howell having ice in his veins and being a true Frosh. I wish it was Williams who led his team to the win but it wasn't, he just checked down and played it safe. Stats look pretty but it's another L .

I think Howell has the IT factor but his big throws were infinitely easier. That long td that burnt Bandy was wide open, that 4th and 17 was wide open.

Mods this whole proper "banned" thing is not ok. This is the reason we are 0-2. Time to get the band back together. Stop acting all uppity.. We **** in people's closets for crying out loud. You guys are costing us games.

Williams just seems like he doesn't have the IT factor . All the bullshlt excuses about him being a RS Freshman are negated by Howell having ice in his veins and being a true Frosh. I wish it was Williams who led his team to the win but it wasn't, he just checked down and played it safe. Stats look pretty but it's another L .

Doesn’t have the “it” factor...brought his team back from down 17-3. No turnovers with a razor thing margin for error. Took the lead. His defense gave up a 4th and 17 and the lead. Drove his team down in less than a minute to setup a game tying FG.

But he doesn’t have “it”? I get it. It’s super subjective and in your mind somehow Jarren isn’t making a difference. I will agree to disagree with you but this L is on a lot ppl Jarren ain’t one of em.

Advertisement
Back