QB Starter

pasadenacb6

Redshirt Freshman
Jack Allison is my pick to be the starter this year. I feel like he's the forgotten man in the QB group. He can ball.. strong arm, good throwing mechanics, seems to make good decisions with the ball and he's more athletic than people think. And it looks like he's improved his game according to coach Richt. That's what I've been waiting to hear, I've been rooting for this kid since he signed with us. I think he has all the tools to be a good QB for us. We just need a guy who can manage the game, make all the necessary throws and the ability to make plays outside the pocket.
I like Malik but he ain't the answer for us, imo he's just not UM starter material. Same goes for Testaverde Jr and Sheriffs. As for the two freshmen in Weldon and Perry.. I think they have a lot of upside, especially Perry. Cade is a athlete and comes from a football family, has good football genes and seems like he can make all the throws. But Perry is the guy I really want to eventually be our starter. So much hype coming from this kid but his potential is through the roof. Nothing but positive things from his high school coaches about the type of player we are getting in Perry. The game has changed.. you need a mobile QB plan and simple. And we get that in Perry but he is also a natural QB, looks to throw before running. Nice touch on the ball, strong arm, good accuracy and good pocket presence.
We got some talent at that position finally. Let those young men compete and let the best man win. All we need is to solidify this position as well as the O-line and we can finally start turning that corner to national contenders again. To me that's so refreshing to hear cause we as canes fans are set to a higher standard in football. For over a decade we've been irrelevant. No more.. it's our time again. But it starts by beating the shiit out of FSWho this year and ending that streak. Let's go canes

Advertisement
I think Allison will be behind both Rosier and Sherriffs and maybe one of the true Freshman and will transfer.

3 days into Spring does not mean much but until Perry gets here it's all Rosier. Perry better know that playbook and blow the doors off once he steps foot on the practice field or it's Rosier as our starter.

Advertisement
Why not Malik? In all honesty if we want to be the type of program we want to be it benefits us more if Malik elevates his game then we redshirt Perry and Welton.
Malik's skillet not much different than francois. And probably has a stronger arm. We'll no in September tho.

Many people forget Cactus Jack was a pretty big deal when we signed him. Stars or not - kids got talent. Although None of our QB's have played enough live snaps to form an opinion in my eyes.

May the best man win.

I'm predicting that our starter at QB by the end of the season will be different than the one who starts to begin the season. I realize that's not an incredibly bold prediction, but I think Rosier will win the job initially and be serviceable, but one of the younger guys will assume the role as the season progresses.

We are blessed to finally have a good deal of potential and reasonable depth at the QB position. I think Richt will get it right, but that it will be sort of a "work in progress" until someone steps up and rises above the others, both in leadership and production.

Advertisement
I'm predicting that our starter at QB by the end of the season will be different than the one who starts to begin the season. I realize that's not an incredibly bold prediction, but I think Rosier will win the job initially and be serviceable, but one of the younger guys will assume the role as the season progresses.

We are blessed to finally have a good deal of potential and reasonable depth at the QB position. I think Richt will get it right, but that it will be sort of a "work in progress" until someone steps up and rises above the others, both in leadership and production.

I agree 100% with this. I just don't see coach Richt handing the keys to one of the young guys yet unless they completely kill it between now and early September.

Why not Malik? In all honesty if we want to be the type of program we want to be it benefits us more if Malik elevates his game then we redshirt Perry and Welton.
Malik's skillet not much different than francois. And probably has a stronger arm. We'll no in September tho.

To me, that would be the best of all worlds. Malik locking down the job could result in a somewhat seamless transition into Perry or even Weldon from a dual threat play calling perspective.

All that said, I would love to see Allison become what we all hoped he would when recruited.

UM

UM

What's the basis for Allison making good decisions? That's been the knock on him since high school, and apparently he didn't do anything last year to dispel that.

It'll be interesting to see how much he's developed this off-season.

Malik has the slowest whip action throwing motion I've seen in awhile. Watch the throw at 1:00 minute mark. That's awful. Pumps it down by his side, and then winds up.

Looks like an infielder warming up between innings.

[video=youtube;NfFWdkU9cVw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfFWdkU9cVw[/video]

Last edited:
Advertisement
Feels like 2014 all over again. But I trust Richt will handle this much better than the last HC

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Malik has the slowest whip action throwing motion I've seen in awhile. Watch the throw at 1:00 minute mark. That's awful. Pumps it down by his side, and then winds up.

Looks like an infielder warming up between innings.

Even with that " whip action " he still balled out in his one start.

Looks like an infielder warming up between innings

He's a baseball player first and you can see it in his throwing mechanics. Bottom line Malik is NOT UM material.

Advertisement
No clue who will win but I'm hoping Rosier improves a lot and wins it.
Paid his dues and hasn't complained.

Some of the throws against duke were beautiful , especially the back shoulder to Scott.

We've got a contingent of our fanbase who want to crown Rosier based on the fact that he didn't totally suck in one start against Duke 2 years ago. His offer list coming out of High School was:

Ark St
Middle Tenn St
Furman
Northern IL
Western KY
Southern Miss

He's a good athlete but I do not think he is the QB some of you fancy him to be.

We've got a contingent of our fanbase who want to crown Rosier based on the fact that he didn't totally suck in one start against Duke 2 years ago. His offer list coming out of High School was:

Ark St
Middle Tenn St
Furman
Northern IL
Western KY
Southern Miss

He's a good athlete but I do not think he is the QB some of you fancy him to be.

Can't speak for anyone else I could care less about his one start IF he legitimately wins the job then I'm fine with him being the starter.

Advertisement
Back