QB Situation

Then why take him?

We need a QB no matter what, so if option 1) is no QB and option 2) is scalzo then I'll take option 2.

With that said, I hope were looking elsewhere. I just don't see it with the kid - he's elusive in the pocket, but has average speed and an average arm. All you have to do is look at some of the deep outs he throws across the field, the ball hangs in the air way too long. Thats not something he can get away with in college. Lol at someone on this board saying "he can make all the throws" like he's Trevor Lawrence or JR15.

And to the idiots comparing him to Baker, Manziel, etc... 1) Baker is an anomaly (much bigger and much stronger arm than this kid) 2) Manziel was highly recruited out of HS, especially in the state of Texas 3) Kyler Murray was like the #1 QB in his class - freak athlete. 4) Scalzo has 1 P5 offer from Kentucky.

Advertisement
By my count next year we are going to have 3 QBs on the roster, assuming no one transfers and we don't get a late pick up this year.

Perry
Weldon
Williams

Who am I missing? I can't imagine we would be ok with three scholarship QBs for next year???

What if Weldon transfers in spring? We are good with two scholarship QBs?

This seems crazy to me.

missing Sam Howell

Ivins said today that he has a well placed source that told him offensive staff has spent last several weeks evaluating different arms and not to be surprised if they try to flip a highly ranked prospect at some point like they did with Jarren last year.

Advertisement
Its kinda difficult for me to say something like that when the first Qb they brought in haven't made one start yet and is a redshirt freshman. Perry playing yesterday opened my eyes to a couple things. Rosier arm is not Power 5 level and there is a big gap between him a Perry from a strictly throwing standpoint. The throw to Cager for the TD and the long pass to Harley made that clear. We cannot threaten the middle of the field with Rosier, it is not coincidence that Jordan and Harley had their biggest games as Canes with Perry. Those throws have been there for the past 2 seasons. I cant judge these coaches on a QB they inherited as a JR and not much else.
Kellen Moore made those throws all the time, though he had elite anticipation and accuracy.

The staff loves the Spann kid , it’ll be him and Max in 20, or just Spann. He’s reakky picking up steam with the staff. He really blew them away at paradise.

That is a very good answer.

Hope it happens.

Ivins said today that he has a well placed source that told him offensive staff has spent last several weeks evaluating different arms and not to be surprised if they try to flip a highly ranked prospect at some point like they did with Jarren last year.

Advertisement
I have no idea why we're not going after Ryan Hillinski. Kid is the best PP in the country and has a huge inspiration from his brother's suicide.

Gotta get someone either grad transfer or a decent pickup no Evan sherieffs bull. I really don’t want to be in the seams situation we have been the past couple years at qb where we have to play a very below average qb because they’re the most experienced.

Gotta get someone either grad transfer or a decent pickup no Evan sherieffs bull. I really don’t want to be in the seams situation we have been the past couple years at qb where we have to play a very below average qb because they’re the most experienced.

Nobody is going to Grad Transfer here with a Freshman being the starter.

Nobody is going to Grad Transfer here with a Freshman being the starter.

For the record, I’m against a grad transfer.

Having said that, a grad transfer likely only has one year to play. He is going to the place with the best chance to play. That is just as likely to be a place with a freshman starter as it is with a senior starting. The grad transfer, who only has one year to play, doesn’t care what class the starting QB is enrolled in. Think about it.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Sure. But it's just poor planning. What happens when QB1 gets injured? We have one QB for the rest of the season? Who takes practice snaps? Who signals plays? Backup QBs have a role on the team.
We don’t really know what the plan is at QB for 2019. I’m fairly positive we will bring in a QB.

Every year on here we hear from the insiders that we are only bringing in X amount at certain positions. Fans then buy that as gospel. I remember Pete doing that every year, and I’d always say it makes no sense. And I’d usually wind up being right just applying common sense. Same situation at QB 2019.

We don’t really know what the plan is at QB for 2019. I’m fairly positive we will bring in a QB.

Every year on here we hear from the insiders that we are only bringing in X amount at certain positions. Fans then buy that as gospel. I remember Pete doing that every year, and I’d always say it makes no sense. And I’d usually wind up being right just applying common sense. Same situation at QB 2019.

correct.

and the reason is that there are about four "seasons" to recruiting in the course of a single year.

first, it's summer, when you have your camps and the kids you've been recruiting since they were sophomores/juniors get to solidify their offers, and you match that with what your roster looks like heading into fall camp.

second, there is the "in season" recruiting where your roster needs may change due to injuries or kids developing more slowly or quickly than you might have projected.

third, is the "bowl season" recruiting period where you have the benefit of HS players' senior year, and kids who were JAG's in July, all of a sudden blow up and play their way into offers. (e.g., jordan miller this year). or conversely, kids turn out to not be what you thought and the parties go their separate ways. (e.g., sitkowski). that can happen at any position, so you may end up taking a kid who is too good to pass on, or a kid at a need position just shows that he's not a fit for your program.

lastly, is the pre-signing period, in january, where attrition (academic casualties, transfers, juniors declaring) all can change the roster and your position needs going into next spring.

now, add the early signing period to this, and you have even more variability to the process.

the point is, as 'Chise noted, figuring out in mid September how many of this or that sign on the dotted line in February, is a bit silly and not all that meaningful. better just to follow along generally with kids who are getting looks, being recruited, and see how it all unfolds.

Advertisement
Back