Qb recruiting

I’m sure they would like to take a QB if they could get one they like, it wouldn’t be worth to take one just to take one. As good as the shutdown has helped us it has clearly hurt us with QB recruiting cause QB are committing early and early every year and with the new offensive staff and not getting to get kids on campus or go out to there spring practices to evaluate is tough to expect a QB in the class right now.

Advertisement
Even though we probably won't have room, I still want Jay Allen though...

I just love that kid's atheltic upside & he's a phenemonal Baseball player, plus taking him from the Gaytes Baseball program would be icing on the cake lol.

It'll come down to if we have room...

We're sitting at 21 commits & only have 3 possibly 4 spots left, we're adding Taylor & Marshall, which would give us 1 or 2 spots.

For that final spot(s), we're in it for Maason Smith, Tyreak Sapp, Jaden Alexis, Corey Collier, Chase Smith, Darrell Jackson, Amari Daniels (although I doubt we actually take him), Markevious Brown & Yulkeith Brown.

Unless things change for this year with the cap on IC's, then we probably won't have room for a QB if we fill that last spot(s) up with DT's lol.

We could try to reserve one spot open throughout the season in hopes that we can flip a QB late, but the odds of that happening aren't in our favor
Thanks for the info.
Any OL targets we got our eye on?

Said awhile ago, QB isn't looking like a priority this class for obvious reasons.

If you weren’t going to take a quarterback which two of the following would you think Miami actually gets: [Maason Smith, Tyreak Sapp, Jaden Alexis, Corey Collier, Chase Smith, Darrell Jackson, Amari Daniels (although I doubt we actually take him), Markevious Brown & Yulkeith Brown.]?
I think it will end up being M. Brown and C. Collier. I'd prefer Sapp over Collier.

Advertisement
For Garcia (or other highly rated QB or Top 50 talent), I would work to make the #s fit and pursue a gray shirt for someone. If the #s don't work, then yes I'd tell them the Cane Train has passed them by and they had their opportunity to jump aboard but didn't for whatever reason...loyalty matters! I would not risk compromising relationships with local area HS coaches or future recruits by dropping someone at this point. The long-term benefits will far outweigh the short-term impact
That makes a lot of sense. Who would you try to gray shirt?

I just love that kid's atheltic upside & he's a phenemonal Baseball player, plus taking him from the Gaytes Baseball program would be icing on the cake lol.
I agree. If we take one, that’s the guy. He has the tools. He’s very raw as a qb because he’s spent the bulk of his time playing baseball. He can play qb if that’s what he wants to do. I just question if that’s really his goal. He’s looking at 7 figures in June of next year.

As a huge Cane Baseball guy, I would love to get him on that team as well. To me, the biggest eval you have to make on him is if he is really serious about coming to college to play qb.

Is is anathema to ask some "lesser" productive players to take a scholastic scholarship?

There are some who will never again see the field - and for the betterment of the team - they're just wasting time and space.

And NO. I'm not going to name any - we pretty much know who they are.
Even if it's done it would help with the 85 limit (which we are well under), but not for the ICs which is a more limiting concern. It would be a slippery slope to start dropping committed recruits that have been loyal. I wouldn't want to go there.

Advertisement
We're not recruiting him.

He got officials from Tenn, Bama, LSU, PSU & Miss St.

LCE, can I get a point of clarification.

You used the word "officials". You are talking about official offers, correct?

I get Tennessee, he is a verbal. So three other SEC schools plus Ped State.

And we can point out "Big 3", but I think you are saying he doesn't have interest in UiF or F$U, correct?

So it seems like it really comes down to UM. And I think I asked this question once before, it might have gotten lost, but has there been any informal communication that the decision/recruiting effort/offer situation MIGHT CHANGE with continued good behavior? And/or that it COULD happen predicated on a narrow set of parameters (1-strike rule, etc.)?

The short version is that we continue to see his name mentioned, but is there any real chance of it happening? Or is there a pathway to get there?

Thanks!

Having just a ridiculous athlete at the QB position is so beneficial and seems to be where football is trending. I’d take a chance and trust we could develop him.

Staff and players on the team like TVD. Kid is mature beyond his years an excellent student and has a cannon for an arm. Would love to add another big time QB but feel okay not great but okay about rolling into 2021 with him and kosi battling.

Staff and players on the team like TVD. Kid is mature beyond his years an excellent student and has a cannon for an arm. Would love to add another big time QB but feel okay not great but okay about rolling into 2021 with him and kosi battling.
Yep, just don't like the idea of a redshirt freshman making his first start on the road against Alabama. Even with King on board, they have to find a way to get him meaningful reps this year. If not, it will be 3 of our last 4 QBs will have gotten their first snaps of any kind under less than ideal situations (Kaaya @ Louisville, Williams @ Florida, TVD @ Bama).

Advertisement
I've heard nothing but Very positive remarks about him....I keep telling people...Dont sleep on this kid....

LCE, can I get a point of clarification.

You used the word "officials". You are talking about official offers, correct?

I get Tennessee, he is a verbal. So three other SEC schools plus Ped State.

And we can point out "Big 3", but I think you are saying he doesn't have interest in UiF or F$U, correct?

So it seems like it really comes down to UM. And I think I asked this question once before, it might have gotten lost, but has there been any informal communication that the decision/recruiting effort/offer situation MIGHT CHANGE with continued good behavior? And/or that it COULD happen predicated on a narrow set of parameters (1-strike rule, etc.)?

The short version is that we continue to see his name mentioned, but is there any real chance of it happening? Or is there a pathway to get there?

Thanks!
No not happening, no interest from either side.

If you sign Allen and he goes MLB, do you lose the IC?

Advertisement
DVD has been grooming his little brother since day 1. Trust the process.

We're not recruiting him.

He got officials from Tenn, Bama, LSU, PSU & Miss St.

well ****! I cant complain about recruiting at all right now, but think wel end up regretting that 1. Are we at least in communication? Just cant see us not getting him with him being back at the west.

Any way to get him on baseball scholarship and still let him play football?

If they’re practicing with football - that’s where his scholarship will count. Can’t have it the other way.

The players can like TVD but still want to bring in the best available talent. Iron sharpens iron. We got 4 safeties last year but the players were cheering for KK and JW.

QB will have to play it self out I believe. Will get some clarity closer to early signing period.

Advertisement
Back