QB question re: Richt at Georgia

ben

Senior
Premium
One of the common themes I keep hearing when people discuss the starting QB position at UM for next season is that Richt is more likely to go with a guy like Perry because Perry is "Richt's guy" (i.e. because Richt recruited him, he is more likely to be in Richt's plans).

But I was wondering for anyone who followed Georgia back in the day whether they can give more background on the David Greene/DJ Shockley dynamic. From what I recall, Shockley was a BIG-TIME recruit and Richt's first QB recruit ... but he proceeded to receive nothing more than spot duty over the next four years while David Greene set all kinds of win records. Shockley then started for one season afterward and was still pretty good, as I recall.

Obviously, Richt will go with the best player, period -- as I think his willingness to play freshmen last season showed.

Advertisement
Negged for using historical precedent, logic, and a well thought out post.

Don't do it again, or you'll be reproeted.

Dummies use the "he's Rick's guy" in a flimsy attempt to justify their dopey opinion that Perry has some sort of pre-ordained lead in the QB battle.

Rick is a super competitive guy. He's going to start the guy he thinks can help him win the most games this year. Period. End of story. I'd put the chances of Perry beginning the season as the starting QB at 5% unless we lose a couple QBs to injury.

Even if he came in the spring, Perry would be the dark horse.

It's a lot to ask for a freshman, the way Rick uses the QB and demands placed on them.

It'll be Rosier, Allison, et al, from an odds perspective. I wouldn't rule Perry out because he's a special talent, I just think the odds are stacked against him.

Advertisement
It will come down to who the staff believes best executes Richt's offense and puts us in the best position to win, with Richt making the call.

One of the common themes I keep hearing when people discuss the starting QB position at UM for next season is that Richt is more likely to go with a guy like Perry because Perry is "Richt's guy" (i.e. because Richt recruited him, he is more likely to be in Richt's plans).

But I was wondering for anyone who followed Georgia back in the day whether they can give more background on the David Greene/DJ Shockley dynamic. From what I recall, Shockley was a BIG-TIME recruit and Richt's first QB recruit ... but he proceeded to receive nothing more than spot duty over the next four years while David Greene set all kinds of win records. Shockley then started for one season afterward and was still pretty good, as I recall.

Obviously, Richt will go with the best player, period -- as I think his willingness to play freshmen last season showed.

I was at UGA for Shockley's senior year (just missed David Greene.) I know that Shockley had a foot injury in 2002 as a redshirt frehsman, and a significant knee injury in 2003. He played in some games in 2002 before injury and did well, but by the time he was fully healthy it was clearly Greene's job.

Richt never started a true freshman at QB. I'm not saying he never will but all you have to know is he started a crappy Joe Tereshinski over Matt Stafford. Shockley was Richt's first recruit and he still went with a redshirt freshman in David Greene.

Last edited:
Greene picked up the offense right away. From what I remember, Shockley was not that much better to take the job.

Advertisement
Greene picked up the offense right away. From what I remember, Shockley was not that much better to take the job.

This is also correct, IMO. Shockley was an amazing athlete, but not a great QB for making quick reads and decisions.

Richt never started a true freshman at QB. I'm not saying he never will but all you have to know is he started a crappy Joe Tereshinski over Matt Stafford. Shockley was Richt's first recruit and he still went with a redshirt freshman in David Greene.

He did start JT3 over Stafford Tereshinski's senior year but only because Stafford as a true freshman was TERRIBLE in his first live action - 4 INTs and 1 TD when Tereshinski went down. Stafford had all the tools, it was clear, but he wasn't "Matt Stafford" yet, if you dig. He was just another talented freshman who had to be brought along like everyone else. When Tereshinski sh*t the bed against Tennessee, Richt took his lumps and went with Stafford for the rest of the season.

Stafford wasn't very good his freshman season. As a matter of fact, he was awful. But your point is well taken. A true freshman is going to have to distance himself from the pack to earn the starting job.

Advertisement

Tereshinski over Stafford is the mic drop. Stafford was a far better prospect and bigger talent than Perry, and he couldn't beat out Tereshinski.

In every interview about the QBs since he's been here, Rick has emphasized executing the system and not trying to be a hero or not making the right reads. He even criticizes QBs who make big plays but did it outside the read structure. He isn't looking for any Uncle Rico hippy **** from his QBs.

This is also correct, IMO. Shockley was an amazing athlete, but not a great QB for making quick reads and decisions.

Hate to say it, but that's what I take from Perry's film too. He seems to make almost all the throws after scrambling around and making defenders miss. Not a lot of sound pre reads and decisive decision making.

Hate to say it, but that's what I take from Perry's film too. He seems to make almost all the throws after scrambling around and making defenders miss. Not a lot of sound pre reads and decisive decision making.

What I like about Perry (even over a guy like Shockley) is Perry's "knack" for the game, for lack of a better term. He can throw guys open, buy time, and knows right where to put the football. Yes, there's a lot of "scramble ball" to his play which won't fly in college, but he's also a savvy passer, something I NEVER saw from Shockley.

Advertisement
Perry is something special, his arm talent is on another level. He can flick the long ball, as well as taking something off his throws, when necessary. He also has relatively quick feet in the pocket.

But let's not get it twisted either. If you watch his film, he is throwing to his first read virtually 100% of the time, and many times just outclassing the talent around him, which is far inferior.

Other times he's using his physical gifts to avoid the rush, and buying himself some time for scrambling and making the throw. But one must take into consideration the level of the competition he faced. Again, he's a great talent, but there's a whole different level of talent and complexity he will be facing in college.

It would be practically unbelievable for him to make that transition in 4 weeks to the college game.

Perry is something special, his arm talent is on another level. He can flick the long ball, as well as taking something off his throws, when necessary. He also has relatively quick feet in the pocket.

But let's not get it twisted either. If you watch his film, he is throwing to his first read virtually 100% of the time, and many times just outclassing the talent around him, which is far inferior.

Other times he's using his physical gifts to avoid the rush, and buying himself some time for scrambling and making the throw. But one must take into consideration the level of the competition he faced. Again, he's a great talent, but there's a whole different level of talent and complexity he will be facing in college.

It would be practically unbelievable for him to make that transition in 4 weeks to the college game.

Agreed.

I can understand the Perry/Shockley comparison.

But unless I missed something, David Greene ain't walkin through that door...

Advertisement
Back