QB question re: Richt at Georgia

Richt generally was resistant to playing freshman at UGA, especially a freshman QB. I know Richt played a lot of freshman at Miami last year, but I think that's largely because he was a 1st year coach and the freshman were his recruits who fit his system.

Advertisement
I've said from the jump there's no way in **** Perry gets the starting job day one. If he's that good he can work his way in slowly. I think they'll start the season rotating Rosier and Shireffs. Something just seems off with the whole Allison thing.

Nothing is off with allison. Some guys despite rankings just dont end up being as good as people thought. I think allison ranking was boosted up because he had the look and physical tools of a great qb.

Advertisement
Richt generally was resistant to playing freshman at UGA, especially a freshman QB. I know Richt played a lot of freshman at Miami last year, but I think that's largely because he was a 1st year coach and the freshman were his recruits who fit his system.

I don't know about his time at UGA, but it seems like now he and his staff are taking the philosophy if you show you are the best at your position it doesn't matter if you are a freshman or senior you will get to start. Lots of freshmen got to start last season because the roster was depleted and those guys earned the position they got over the rest of the field. If Grace and AQM had not gotten in trouble you would of probably seen at least 1 less freshman getting starting reps though they would of certainly gotten reps to spell other players or in case of injury.

If I had to guess they are telling recruits that this season was proof that those recruits can earn a starting spot, but the spot will not be given to them in the recruiting process. Get in early, learn the play book, get up to the level physically and you can have a good chance to start as a freshman.

No coach wants to start a true freshman at QB. Some don't have a choice.

One of the common themes I keep hearing when people discuss the starting QB position at UM for next season is that Richt is more likely to go with a guy like Perry because Perry is "Richt's guy" (i.e. because Richt recruited him, he is more likely to be in Richt's plans).

But I was wondering for anyone who followed Georgia back in the day whether they can give more background on the David Greene/DJ Shockley dynamic. From what I recall, Shockley was a BIG-TIME recruit and Richt's first QB recruit ... but he proceeded to receive nothing more than spot duty over the next four years while David Greene set all kinds of win records. Shockley then started for one season afterward and was still pretty good, as I recall.

Obviously, Richt will go with the best player, period -- as I think his willingness to play freshmen last season showed.

Richt not playing Shockley was a big mistake in his time at ga in my honest opinion.

One of the common themes I keep hearing when people discuss the starting QB position at UM for next season is that Richt is more likely to go with a guy like Perry because Perry is "Richt's guy" (i.e. because Richt recruited him, he is more likely to be in Richt's plans).

But I was wondering for anyone who followed Georgia back in the day whether they can give more background on the David Greene/DJ Shockley dynamic. From what I recall, Shockley was a BIG-TIME recruit and Richt's first QB recruit ... but he proceeded to receive nothing more than spot duty over the next four years while David Greene set all kinds of win records. Shockley then started for one season afterward and was still pretty good, as I recall.

Obviously, Richt will go with the best player, period -- as I think his willingness to play freshmen last season showed.

Richt not playing Shockley was a big mistake in his time at ga in my honest opinion.

Winning that SEC title and 10+ games each of David Greene's last three years was a big mistake.

Advertisement
Don't sleep on Shirreffs. The kid was a really good high school quarterback. Honor student. Just didn't have a college-ready body.

I think everyone is giddy over Perry because none of the other QBs has been able to separate themselves and become "THE starter". We keep hearing a lot of "he's improving but he still does _____" in regards to all the competitors already in camp. I'd feel a lot better about the whole situation if Rosier, Shirreffs or Allison could make that jump where the coaches are saying "it's his job to lose". I'm not exactly stoked about the prospects at QB for this year. At least for now, I'm not.

I think everyone is giddy over Perry because none of the other QBs has been able to separate themselves and become "THE starter".

Alot of people were giddy over Perry becoming the starter even before he signed here. The current qbs not being able to separate themselves this spring has nothing to do with it...

I think everyone is giddy over Perry because none of the other QBs has been able to separate themselves and become "THE starter".

Alot of people were giddy over Perry becoming the starter even before he signed here. The current qbs not being able to separate themselves this spring has nothing to do with it...

Respectfully disagree. If Jack Allison was tearing up spring camp dropping bombs all over the place, the Perry hype would be significantly lesser. There's always going to be the recruitnicks who think every incoming freshman is already better than anybody already on the roster but the masses are pinning their hopes on Perry because nobody else is impressing.

Advertisement
He may not start Day One, but if he's as good as he looks I believe he will start games this year.

Let's see if he looks as good in a real offense that he doesn't completely grasp with a bunch of upperclassmen counting on him not to ruin their chance at winning the ACC and playing a meaningful bowl game.

There's no doubting Perry's talent, but I need to see how he reacts to the big stage in a real offense with a ton of responsibilities and the entire team counting on him not to fvck up their season. They'll say all the right things publicly, but if Rick fvcks the vets' season by starting a QB who isn't ready to lead them then that **** can be a disaster.

Last edited:

Respectfully disagree. If Jack Allison was tearing up spring camp dropping bombs all over the place, the Perry hype would be significantly lesser. There's always going to be the recruitnicks who think every incoming freshman is already better than anybody already on the roster but the masses are pinning their hopes on Perry because nobody else is impressing.

Perry has been the anointed one by fans since Jon Richt started camping out at his home after signing day '16. Richt has already set the fanbase up to wait on Perry and fans have jumped to the conclusion that he's the chosen one because Richt won't shut the competition down publicly in the spring. No matter what was done this spring Perry would've been looked at by fans as the frontrunner.

True Freshman rarely start in college football at QB and we've got guys assuming this kid will start right away for a coach that demands alot from his QB. That has nothing to do QBs not separating themselves and everything to do with what people think Perry is.

Last edited:

I don't know about his time at UGA, but it seems like now he and his staff are taking the philosophy if you show you are the best at your position it doesn't matter if you are a freshman or senior you will get to start. Lots of freshmen got to start last season because the roster was depleted and those guys earned the position they got over the rest of the field. If Grace and AQM had not gotten in trouble you would of probably seen at least 1 less freshman getting starting reps though they would of certainly gotten reps to spell other players or in case of injury.

If I had to guess they are telling recruits that this season was proof that those recruits can earn a starting spot, but the spot will not be given to them in the recruiting process. Get in early, learn the play book, get up to the level physically and you can have a good chance to start as a freshman.
There's a humongous difference between starting a freshmans LB and starting a true freshmans QB. The QB touches the ball every play. He can lose you games that you should win if he doesn't know everything he and everyone else should be doing on offense.

Advertisement
I think everyone is giddy over Perry because none of the other QBs has been able to separate themselves and become "THE starter". We keep hearing a lot of "he's improving but he still does _____" in regards to all the competitors already in camp. I'd feel a lot better about the whole situation if Rosier, Shirreffs or Allison could make that jump where the coaches are saying "it's his job to lose". I'm not exactly stoked about the prospects at QB for this year. At least for now, I'm not.

We have no clue if anyone is separating at QB because Rick would never make that sort of declaration this quickly in an open QB competition. He's playing poker and will continue to do so in order to see who can be consistent every day, keep working hard and who reacts the best to the pressure of a QB battle that lasts for several months.

There's a lot more that goes into this decision than guys are realizing. And a lot of it is consistency and leadership based. Who is going to show up the same every day and operate the system most consistently? You're not going to have a feel for that watching the team stretch for the first 15 minutes of practice, and Rick isn't going to tell the world that QB A is his guy right now. He won't do that till late in the fall even if he is clearly leaning in one direction well before then. Makes zero sense to make announcements like that when you're trying to keep the pressure on everyone for as long as you can.

As for separation with the QBs: [TWEET]849293219150123008[/TWEET]

And that's exactly how it will continue going. Rick will play cat and mouse with the media to keep the competition live even after he knows what he's going to do. He'd be retarded to do anything else for a million reasons.

As for separation with the QBs: [TWEET]849293219150123008[/TWEET]

And that's exactly how it will continue going. Rick will play cat and mouse with the media to keep the competition live even after he knows what he's going to do. He'd be retarded to do anything else for a million reasons.

Yup. This is not even exclusive to the qb position. We've essentially gotten no concrete confirmation with regards to whos running with the 1s or looking good at any position

Advertisement
Back